Fall rebloomers anyone?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have quite a few. :-). And I did try to collect some rebloomers. It's always worth a try to extend the season especially since I have the weather for it. Mine are so late that they wouldn't do very well in cold weather in the fall. Calm Spring does rebloom for me in the spring too. Concertina (IB) is another that reblooms in the spring but not in the fall. It's a great performer. i'll post a photo again. This was rebloom the first spring that I had them in the ground.

Thumbnail by doss
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Doss,
Lovely photo of Concertina! Mine was due to bloom last spring but got caught by a freeze. Can't wait for next spring.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

doss, very pretty! belinda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Concertina is very early - one of the first in my garden. It does rebloom here just afterwards. Perhaps you'll have some luck this year. I love it. It deserves a medal. :-)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ya, a lot of medians deserve THE medal...but the TB's always get those.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

The rebloomers I bought last year from Suttons have done very well. Of 17 varieties 15 have rebloomed. :) We had a late summer here and I cut the last bloom stalks off that showed color Nov 15th and still had blooms for Thanksgiving display indoors. We had some middle 20's since then but a couple of uncut stalks are still trying to bloom outdoors. I think they were probably running a month behind what they really should because it was just plain so durn hot here in September they were late setting blooms.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Good going Vashur. I feed my rebloomers when they're finished. Did you take photos?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I was just being a brat. Concertina did win an AIS Award of Merit in 2005. But the DM isn't likely, you're right.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

But a BB did win the Dykes one year
Brown Lasso.( E. Buckles by D Niswonger ) 1975
can't remember what year it won !980 ?

More judges need to grow and see the smaller ones

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Brown Lasso won these awards in these years. Although I'm not sure why I went and got these dates - I'm so compulsive I guess. You're close Tazzy. Right in the ball park.

AM '78, Knowlton Medal '80, Dykes Medal '81

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Good info. I knew about that one, but isn't that the only median to ever win a DM?

I agree with Tazzy on judges learning to appreciate the little ones more. I LOVE TB's, but I actually like the medians, especially the SDB's, even more because of their hardiness and range of colors. They also multiply like crazy! I know some of you warmer zoned people have a harder time with them, though...because of the fact that they need a good winter chill to thrive.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2005 8:11 PM

I think it won because there was no other
iris in that color range
It was a color breakthrough ..I lost it 2 years ago
had grown it since 79 So this year i replaced it

I still haven't see any color that is quit that unique
but people see color differently .
I found this out while touring gardens to be a judge .
lady kept saying what a lovely lite lemon color this iris was
i ask my friend dose that look lemon to you i think its pink she say no way that is blue .Well it was lemon . if you wear tinted glass don't when viewing flowers .
My fried had a blue tint in her glasses i had a pink tint . so now i don't even get a tint put in my glass or wear sun glasses while garden or show looking . LOL
BTW
Brown Lasso had Punchline and Wild Mustang and Milestone in it parentage . some very vivid colored iris of that time period
looked pink to me

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Should we fertilize our rebloomers now or wait until spring?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Doss- Didn't get pictures this fall. I've been so busy I was lucky to even get out back to see them blooming. :) I did fertilize the rebloomers after they bloomed this spring. I tried to keep track of them in my diary here but ran out of time to even do that this fall after school started again. I did keep track that there were two that haven't bloomed at all yet but one of those had gotten dug out by a cat most likely late last winter and it is still pretty small after laying out on the ground a while.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Vashur - if it's not a cat then it's a dog or a squirrel. I don't get it but that's sure the way it seems.

Sounds as if you have a very busy garden!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

pins~I wait until spring, about 6 weeks before bloom time. However, I'm not in as warm of a zone as you are.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I have one kind (an old white one) that blooms the first of March. So, maybe I should fert them in the middle of January. Brrrrrr!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Feed them when the tulips come up - or does it bloom before the tulips? I feed mine then but this sounds VERY early.

Lady Friend is trying to bloom. I didn't know that it was a rebloomer. Maybe it's just the warm weather.

feed them when put to bed (here Oct. )and when you check to see if dead ( here Feb) LOL
well it help you remember ?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

What fertilizer do you use? And do you feed all your iris? Thanks..........

Lebanon, OR

I use 5-10-10 if I can get it...some years can with no problem other years can not If I can not get that I go for a triple 10...

Hope this helps

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you can't find 5-10-10 use bulb food. It's about that anyway - but if it's where beasties can get to it I don't recommend bone meal. It' way too yummy.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, it's all moot for me--the snow has moved in and covered everything. Time to clean the house I have ignored all growing season.

You said the c word ?
Clean ! ( shudder,gasp, feeling dizzy here )
that is such a harsh word,
Here i just give the house a sweeping glance
'when it get real bad another layer of crud
is over first so it not same old dirt
No Martha Stewart here more like Ma Kettle ?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tazzy - - you are so funny - the perfect gardener! I love it!!! You are my kind of lady!

Linda_Iowa - - I've been told to use a fertilizer best for your climate. Meaning - - if one receives a lot of rain, and/or snow - - then one hardly needs any nitrogen in the fertilizer (the first number displayed on the box, or bag of fertilizer) - so something like a 5-10-10 would work well. *NOTE: That is because both rain (snow) and, or lightening naturally release nitrogen - the plants make use of it - therefore adding it to the soil is not necessary where it rains (and snows) frequently - except in small amounts.*

Here in Arizona (or other drier climates) where we receive hardly any rain (except during the monsoon season) we can easily use 20-20-20, or16-16-16 and it works quite well for us (with no rot occurring in irises unless we over-do). The exception in Arizona would be in the mountains, where more rain and snow occurs natually.

Also, Phosphate ( the middle number on the bag. or box) is needed to send up stalks and create multiple blooms. And yes, there are some liquid fertilizers that do exist to help with reblooming (or just blooming in general). Those numbers may read - 10-30-10, 15-45-15, 0-30-0, or similar. Please note the higher middle number) These fertilizers fall under the name Bloom Booster, or ColorBurst. It works wonders here.

Where one receives a lot of rain - - use Bloom Booster or Colorburst at half strength and it should work wonders for you too.

Usually fertilizing irises 2-3 times a year is all it takes to keep irises happy. In the spring 6- 8 weeks before they bloom; then again AFTER they have finished their spring blooming; and lastly in fall.

I hope this info helps.

~ Margie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Great information, Margie. I didn't know that about Phosphate. I'll definitely give it a try this year! :0]

Laura

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, it sure helped me, Margie! We get A LOT of rain here! Thank you for posting.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Lady Friend (it's not - see correction below). It's not listed as a rebloomer but it's having a good time today anyway. Rosalie Figge is almost open though it was almost down to freezing yesterday. We'll see.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2005 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by doss

doss are you sure on the name of that iris ?
it doent look like Lady Friend
cause its garnett red ?that look like one of keppels newer
ones like fancy woman etc .

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm sure you are right. It's not Lady Friend. I have that one too and I love it - you're right, dark red. Perhaps Fancy Dress?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/34922/index.html

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

If you purchased 'Fancy Dress', I'd say that is it. I used to grow it and your picture looks like it. However, it also looks a bit like 'Mind Reader', so you never know.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/74220/

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Whoa - they are close. I did buy Fancy Dress. I put them side by side from the plant files. Fancy Dress seems to have a brighter yellow beard than "Mind Reader". They sure are close. They are both stunning, aren't they? I vote this one Fancy Dress - both because I bought it and because it's got the brighter yellow beard. However, just because I bought it as something doesn't mean that's what I got. :-)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, if you didn't buy 'Mind Reader', then it's probably the other~unless someone substituted without you knowing. I guess you'll have to go by the grower's reputation on that one. Both 'Mind Reader' and 'Fancy Dress' are Keppel irises, probably sisters, so that's why they're so similar.

Fancy Dress is the one i was thinking of,
just couldn't remember name

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the wisdom everyone. Now if old Rosalie Figge opens tomorrow and i can actually take a photo of it's darkness we can enjoy that one. Although we won't have half as much fun. Now, does Rosalie Figge have a sister??? LOL

She has a brother .. Symore Figge
LOL

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, then here is Symore Figge's sister. :-)

The weather has been treating us well here. I've got a few with flower stalks but who knows if they'll beat the weather.

Thumbnail by doss

love her beard

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I don't know if this is considered a fall rebloomer, now that it's winter for most of the country, but HEMSTITCHED has just finished reblooming for me. See photo Below.

MISTY TWILIGHT and PURE AS GOLD is reblooming right now with freeze damage. (So...............I haven't taken a photo of them yet) If successive blooms should open not damaged - - then I'll take their photo and share it with you.

~ Margie

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I keep getting more and more blooms. Will post City Lights later. The weather couldn't be better for my rebloomers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.