Fall rebloomers anyone?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This one is reblooming now. Mariposa Autumn It. has wider falls than Raspberry Frost.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mariposa Autumn is lovely Margie. Might you use it in your plicata program for rebloom?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

"Earl of Essex"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Another view of "Earl of Essex"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I was so tempted to buy some "Best Bet" rebloomers today at Lowe's, but they weren't on sale, and I was afraid it was too late to plant them. But I do love that one.

Thanks so much! I was surprised to see it in bloom this week! Thought our temps were getting to low, but I guess not!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Margie - I just was on Schreiner's site and they said to grow the iris outside in a pot, when the buds are formed bring it in and put it in a sunny widow and then put it outside again after it's finished blooming. Never know when answers will fall in your lap!

I lost two Earl of Essex. Guess it's not too happy here. I should have some blooming in the next few days. Pink Flamingo, Clear Stream, October Sky and a couple of others. Pink Flamingo may just be confused because it's not supposed to be a rebloomer. Love it when that happens.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Doss for helping the answers fall into my lap. :-)

I've had a couple rebloom like that (not his fall yet, but in the past). I've had both Joyce Terry and Gnus Flash rebloom. Neither of them are suppose to rebloom, but they did.

I might use my new line of plicatas for rebloom, Doss. It's posible some of them may be rebloomers already - - because Epicenter has rebloom genes in it. I won't know for another year or so for sure - - because I had to dig them all up this year.

Shirley, I hope you get a few more surprises like that! That's a beauty!

~ Margie

Lebanon, OR

These are things that might help with rebloom.

As soon as it flowers the first time, remove the stock to the ground by breaking it off.

Second light very light fertilizer.

Many times when I dig the rebloomers and ship they will bloom right off the bat..for the customer

With the weather very cold about 35 at night and not over 45-50 during the day, we have several in the field with bloomstocks. Two that come to mind are Sierra Mist, July Yellow if JY bloomed it would be the 3rd or 4th time this year. Doubtful if any will really bloom because if is suppose to get down to freezing this week all week...

One JI is in bloom today.

D

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Margie & Doss--sorry for the silence. I don't know what llilyfan's secret is, and it's frustrating! I know she's a good zone warmer than me with an extra micro climate going on. Her soil was brought in, but no special amendments. She DOES have raised beds.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How nice to have raised beds!

I have different zones on opposite sides of my yard. The mysteries of plants are beyond reason, don't you think?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi irisloverdee,

Thanks for the tips. I've heard it a few times now - - that if one digs up an iris that is known to be a rebloomer and replants it - it helps it to rebloom in the fall. Not all will do that - - but many of them will. I've also been told, there are other rebloomers who need to be settled in the ground for 2 years before they'll rebloom. There are fewer of those that fall into that category.

As Doss said............ "The mysteries of plants are beyond reason". :-)

~ Margie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I had heard that the rebloom can be set the prior year so that a rebloomer coming from a place like Sutton's might rebloom the first year and not again. There are quite a few cultivars just almost in bloom. "Open, open, open".. Teehee.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, Calm Stream finally decided to 'boil' today - you know the watched pot idea? Flower is on the smallish side - about the size of Immortality but it's a performer. Reblooms in the spring and the fall.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Here's my Waltz Across Texas......

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

....and here's my Billionaire......

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

....and this one....I have it in my other garden, the marker is marked Canary Delight, this of course is not Canary Delight.....any body know what it is?

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Doss...here's EXPOSE!
oh and that's my shadow!

This message was edited Nov 16, 2005 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by weegy12
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Expose is doing well, especially considering it was every dog's favorite toy for awhile. Iris are tough aren't they?

Beautiful rebloomers. "Not Canary Delight" is lovely. I hope that we can get an ID. I've never seen it before.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have it at the garden in Chino, this one is in my little garden of 80 in the back, I know I've seen it bloom in Chino...for not Not Canary Delight is a wonderful name. If it's blooming here, it will bloom at the other garden also...thanks sweet Doss! (I am babying Expose, see the rocks around it??? That's so I don't step on it!)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

weegy~try 'Beguine' for your mystery iris. That's my best guess.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, I can tell you are babying it. After fighting for it for so long, I can understand why. It was a small rhizome to begin with. I hope it blooms for you this year.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

It's close, but I have this one in my garden at another location and also here at my home and that name does not ring a belll, sure is close though, huh? Thanks Laura.
I sure hope Expose blooms this year too, Doss!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

My unknown yellow iris is still blooming.. course today it is 23 degrees and snowing..

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

23 degrees and still blooming. Cast Iron iris I'd say.

Immortality, Harvest of Memories, and Sugar Blues still blooming...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Pink Flamingos. I shot this although it's not all the way open to show you the totally different color of the undersides of the petals.

Thumbnail by doss
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

i have baby blessed blooming today. it's 27 outside. ohio is freezing, please send warm weather! LOL belinda

Thumbnail by daylily970
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

How lovely! Its going down to the 20's tonight here, too. Brrrrr!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Ohio IS freezing!! 20's would be nice..I think we are dipping below that tonight

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

18° here right now. :-o

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I"ve been meaning to tell this, but haven't had a chance. Last weekend I cut off an iris flower that I can't identify to the hosta meeting. (The iris is my misnamed intermediate solid purple with a white beard.) There are folks there who are into all kinds of plants, so I figured I had at least some chance. It turned out nobody could identify it, but the funny part was just how many people asked me if it was blooming now! I mean, there I was with the flower in my hand!! The funniest thing was that I could see me asking it if someone else had it, too. lol!!!!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL! That's funny Pins! I could see me asking the same thing too!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You could tell people that it's not blooming but you've found a new way of preserving flowers - but that you're not sharing the secret. (Evil Grin)

This is Diamond Blush.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

The colors on that look really nice!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pink Flamingos - not registered a rebloomer but it's a fun thing to have it bloom now.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2005 3:39 PM

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is October Sky.

Thumbnail by doss
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I love that Pink Flamingos.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

We had a bit of snow on Friday--Baby Blessed was caught in bloom & Low Ho Silver just never went beyond buds. :( That's it for me, folks.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry Wanda. :-(

Rosalie Figge has a bud. Maybe?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hey, Doss, just how many irises do you have??!??!!? You must have all rebloomers. They are beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.