Fall rebloomers anyone?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Cantina just finished yesterday. Great fragrance!

Harvest of memories and Immortality are blooming too.

Thumbnail by doss
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I've been too lazy to take pics but I did have some rebloom this year.
Immortality, Autumn Tryst, and a couple others :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

whoops... mis-posted

My 'Immortality' iris has been reblooming strongly the past couple of weeks -- love it!

This message was edited Sep 14, 2005 1:31 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Clarence and Canary Delight are blooming for me right now in my little garden. Hello Doss, miss you!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

All of mine suffered their rebloom cycle due to rearranging garden. Boy do i miss them. Only one reblooming is Northward Ho and it's nearly over. Immortality bloomed faithfully each year too. Oh well, resettling is always nerve wracking.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Rats! But i bet your garden is going to be more beautiful now that it's rearranged. It's nerve wracking but sometimes just what a gardener has to do.

I miss you too Weegy. Out weeding again?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

How'd you guess Doss!!

Arlington, TX

This is new to me.

What do the rebloomers want in terms of light and temperature? Can they take Texas heat? Do they need full or part sun?

Where can I get some and what are they called?

OK, the photos got to me I'm not usually so pushy I just want to get some started ASAP

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome to the world of rebloomers. Reblooming iris want the same conditions as all iris - except they are happier if you give them an extra feeding about a month after they bloom. Cantina, Harvest of Memories, Lenora Perle, Immortality are all good ones. Some of the houses like Schreiner's have reblooming packages which are good.
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/C-05-3M

Sutton's has what they call a warm season collection and it has very nice cultivars in it including Cantina for $28.00
http://www.suttoniris.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=COLL
Cooley's also has one.
http://www.cooleysgardens.com/cg570m.html

But you have to move on it. These vendors won't be selling past the end of the month in all probability.

Let us know what you decided.

Arlington, TX

Thanks Doss

I'm moving.......

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm dying to know what a cow dog is. We had a dog named Emma Boo Boo Cow once and she was a Brittany.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

My first rebloomer of fall is about to open - Queen Dorothy. Don't have a pic, but she's gonna be beautiful.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Queen Dorothy IS stunning! I stopped over to see her on Friday. 3capes & nice fat buds.

We treasure our rebloomers here in 5b. Re-blooming is iffy most years. Immortality & Clarence usually come thru for me--but not this year. I had 7 re-blooming clumps last year.

llilyfan is in southern Iowa and consistently brags about her reblooming iris. I'm sooo jealous!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the link to Queen Dorothy in the plantfiles.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/36173/

Oops! Looks like I will have a surprise--I have a stalk with purple buds opening in a back corner. It's a historic NOT re-bloomer. Got frosted badly this spring and didn't bloom. Suppose it's feeling confused?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It may open as Queen Dorothy yet Wanda - either way now it will be a surprise.

This clump should all be the historic Dream Castle. 2 tone purple. Did someone sneak in when I wasn't looking?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah those nasty rebloomers have a habit of wandering around the garden when you're not looking!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Here's Queen Dorothy in my garden on September 24. It's the only one I have showing any signs of reblooming yet. And I'm so proud of myself - I finally figured out how to put an image in my post!

Thumbnail by Linda_Iowa
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

BB 'Midsummer's Eve' seems to want to be a summer/fall bloomer for me. It's registered as a rebloomer, but it has refused to bloom here in the spring so far. I planted it in the summer of '03; it bloomed on 10/11/04 and again on 8/13/05. At least it's getting earlier. Maybe next year it'll actually bloom in the spring with all the others.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Greene County' is an historic TB that has been reported to rebloom in CA. I planted it here last summer and was very surprised to spy its maiden bloom about 10 days ago on 9/18.

Thumbnail by laurief
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

These old fashioned ladies are sure doing their job. Very pretty! And in such a short season climate too.. Thanks.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Midsummer's Eve' isn't an historic. It's actually a 1999 intro by Donald Spoon. 'Greene County' dates back to 1963.

Just to clarify, neither of these blooms qualify as rebloom in my garden this year. In order for these late blooms to be considered rebloom, the plants would have had to bloom earlier in the year in my garden, as well, which neither of them did.

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I stand corrected laurie.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My Victoria Falls rebloomed last year, but not until December!

This message was edited Sep 27, 2005 5:39 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm glad to hear that rebloomers do rebloom in zone 5. I had one yellow suprise us a couple years ago but haven't seen any evidence of it this year.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sutton's Iris has a list of rebloomers which include zone and reliability. They are a western garden but it's worth a peek.
http://www.suttoniris.com/html/rebloom.htm

And Nicholl's is a Northern garden that carries a lot of hardy rebloomers - also indicating rebloom reliability.

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I've been having a terrible time with cornworm borer beetles this year. My rebloomer verily opened up and there are hundreds of the little green buggers on them. I live in the middle of a corn feild and soybeans. SIGH....

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Royal Summer has been blooming for several days now! I'm so excited, as this is my first-ever rebloomer! Looks so majestic during these end of summer 'blues'! Judy

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I've got Clarence, Blue Eyed Susan, Canary Delight in bloom right now and many more buds on alot of mine. Oh, Footloose is almost ready to show me how pretty he/she is! These sure are great plants, wouldn't you all agree??!! So glad I found them!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You bet! I do love rebloomers. Harvest of Memories is doing it's thing right now and perfuming the air all around it.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I just noticed that my 'Now and Later' is going to bloom! How exciting! It didn't bloom for me this spring, but considering its name, I'm assuming it is a rebloomer?

My Bride's Halo put on a lovely show last spring & greeted me again when I came back from KYRU!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Dream Castle is a historic spring bloomer. I think it's just confused since it didn't bloom last spring as it should have...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Wanda - they make me happy.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Didn't get pictures, but BEST BET and QUEEN DOROTHY have been reblooming for me this year.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I will have to live vicariously through the pics posted here. The other day, some teenagers thought it would be really funny to break off the stalk on my one and only rebloomer. :-(

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That really is the pits. Not fair!

I came hoime from the KYRU to still find only 2 rebloomers. Darn. I had 6 clumps going last year at this point.

Oops! Little Baby Blessed (SDB) has blooms again this fall. YES!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.