Need Help w/Identifying Mystery Plant

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I purchased this plant at a local nursery on Sunday. It was not labeled (of course) - but it was so different looking, that I had to get one. I asked the girl at the register if she knew what kind it was . . . you know what she said? "It's a houseplant". . . . Gee, thanks - I had worked that out for myself! (told her that, too!).

Does this look familiar to anyone? I've taken 2 pictures - the second one is a bit fuzzy, but I wanted to try and get a closeup of the leaf - it looks like a giant leaf w/goosebumps - w/a little hair sticking out of each bump.

I'd appreciate any help!

Nichole

Thumbnail by Nicholejean
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's the second pic:

Thumbnail by Nicholejean
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Nichole, I looks like a begonia-Iron Cross.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59462/index.html

This message was edited Sep 13, 2005 7:17 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow - it does! The purple pattern is slightly off - but maybe once the baby leaves grow out a bit they'll look more consistent with the Iron Cross.

Thanks!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I too was thinking Iron Cross Begonia.

c v v

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

It is definitely the 'Iron Cross' rex begonia. Good for you!

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

OOH, I hate it when I know the answer and someone beats me to it! :) It's so rare that I know one :)

Sarah

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I would have at least said begonia. Considering that I got my first begonia yesterday, I was pretty proud to be that close! :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you all for your help. They had another one at the nursery, except with a silver green leaf . . . I may go back and get that one next week.

I took this one to work the other day. I thought it would like the lighting better. Seems to have perked up a bit.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Without looking at the other responses I would say it is some sort of Pepperomia.

Now, I'll go look at the other answers. LOL

Joan

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Iron Cross really loves humidity, you may want to put a pebble tray under it in your office if it's too dry. There are three var. of Iron Cross.
B. masoniana var. 'Tricolor',
B. masoniana var. maculata
and
B. masoniana (i believe this is yours based on your photos)

You have DMail
Cheers,
Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.