More Pictures

Thornton, IL

Here are some pictures of my garden/grasses.

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

This is another view.

Thornton, IL

The other side of the steps.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Very pretty!!!!!
Winnie

Thornton, IL

Thanks Winnie!!
I missed this one.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooh what is that blue in the 3rd pic? We need names...
I just got a purple leaf sedum in a trade.... It is ready to bloom & I am dying to see it. Yours looks great nestled in there...

Lastly, is that a weigelia on last pic?
I just love looking at the pics. And yours are great! Thanks for posting..

Thornton, IL

Thanks soOh!!
The blue grass is Little Bluestem. I wish I was a better photographer, can you tell it has pinkish color starting?
The last pic is (back to front) Miscanthus 'Arabesque', purple bushy asters (these are starting to bud, I'll have to get pic of blooms), Virginia sweetspire, not sure if 'Little Henry' or 'Henry's Garnet' and the fountain grasses are 'Hameln'. Sedum and cheddar pinks as edgers, we need to smooth out curve/widen bed a little, in order to move these up a bit, they're right under the fountian grass. I used to call this my problem area, LOL. Pretty happy with how it turned out, except I'm not sure if asters too tall, supposed to make a necklace for the maiden grass in autumn.
On the other side, you can see my potted 'Rubrum', I will attempt to overwinter it. And that is the 'Rotsilber' on the right side. This is my 'new' problem area, LOL.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey PG, glad you mentioned posting over here! Great pics, where do you get your grasses? and those sedums are great (can you tell I'm coveting?)! What is the potted 'Rubrum' you mentioned?

Neal.

Thornton, IL

Neal, I'm glad you found me!
The first pic has a potted grass to the right of the steps, that's pennisetum 'Rubrum', annual fountain grass. The 'Rotsilber' maiden grass is not long for this world, I think I've already found a new owner, and I'm considering moving the red chokeberry Back Again in its place. Or a weeping evergreen. Also, I've already pulled out the mums, too clashy. I want to move around the sedums and the feather reed grasses, they're in back of pic 1. Maybe berm this bed.
Does anyone have experience with feather reed grass? Mine didn't bloom, but planted it in late June, too late, right? Also want to widen this bed, so need suggestions for edgers.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you ever try to save seed from any of your annual grass varieties. A friend gave me a couple of red pennestiums and was told you could save seed for next year. I've also wondered if any of the tender grasses could be overwintered like other tender perennials. The red is so pretty, just wish it was perennial. Do you know of any red perennial varieties?

Oh yeah PG, just remembered, the friend who's doing the Persian carpet garden for just joined; user name Alchmyst. Have'nt seen him post yet (he's being shy now, but he's a gemini like me, so once he starts he won't shut up! LOL). Hehe, trying to get a response out of him! Neal.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, prairiegirl--pretty grasses and nice camera work! Aren't you enjoying your new digital? They are so fun!

Is Thornton, Illinois out in the prairie? If so, is there a lot of interest in native grasses in your area? Just wondering...

Let's see some more pics! t.

Thornton, IL

Tabasco, Thornton is a tiny town of about 2,600 and most of the area is taken up by the world's largest working limestone quarry, that's what we're known for, so I've dubbed my house the "Dew Drop Inn", LOL. (It's a HUGE hole, and it's pretty dusty! cough!)
I was brought up by my mom and grandparents in Markham, IL, in a home my grandfather built on what is now Gensburg prairie. (Then mom got remarried, to a soldier, and he dragged us halfway round the world, before we wound up back here, LOL). There are four tallgrass prairies in Markham, and Joe and I belong to a group called "Friends of the Indian Boundary Prairies" that exists to protect them and to educate others about the value of the native grasses and wildflowers that grow on them. Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie is in the process of being developed on the site of the former Joliet, Il arsenal. I don't know how to post links but you can google on these to get more info. Prairie Nursery in Wisconsin sells these kinds of plants, if you're interested. I would say that natives are of interest to those in the know, like DGrs! Its not always possible or desirable to plant only natives (unless you're Japanese, LOL) but these plants are the easiest to grow since they have adapted to the specific regional growing conditions. Survival of the fittest and all that. More pics to follow!

Thornton, IL

Howdy Neal! Hi Alchmyst! I can't wait to see and hear about your Persian carpet garden!!
Please post a thread on this, I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback.
Good thing this is a computer forum, I'm married to a Gemini man, and I can assure you, he can't get a word in edgewise! LOL (That's because he's usually having another converation going with himself, but that's another story, I'll tell you about it when you're grown up!! LOL)
Don't know about seeds, but there is a thread on this forum about overwintering red fountain grass, I intend to try it since this one set me back a pretty penny. LOL

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Awsome! I need to check into organizations in my area with similar goals. I'm fortunate enough to be living in a wildflower wonderland in these woods, and have been cultivating several of the natives from the area. Not only was it great not to have to worry about bug and disease issues, but I found many of the wildlings are much bigger and more vigorous when they're in good soil with no compitition. The cardinal lobelia and great blue lobelias in the garden get almost twice as tall as the ones in the wild, so nobody realizes I'm growing "weeds" in the flower garden! I think there are lots of wonderful, garden-worthy plants right under our noses.

Neal.

Thornton, IL

Just look at the problems I'm having with my 'Magnus' coneflowers, prob wouldn't have happened with E. pallida. Trouble is, they're not readily available like the cultivars are, since companies have to push product to recoup research costs, only to wind up with inferior plant sometimes.

Alchemyst--I want to know more about the Persian carpet garden, too. I've only read about them in English garden books and can't believe someone actually is trying to create one here. Very intreresting.

Interesting about your Native plants group too, Prairiegirl. I am interested in wildflowers and native grasses--especially for plantings along our highways. It seems a shame that the highway department (at least In OH) seems to want plain mowed grass everywhere and does not seem to foster the native plants. Does anybody know anything about highway plantings...maybe I'll start a lobby group. Anyway, I drive a lot on the Interstates and it gets really boring with just lawn grass...

Thornton, IL

Tabasco - I'm taking a required turf class now for school, the reason they use grass is that it's cheap, and requires less maintenance. People sometimes think prairie wildflowers are maintenace-free, but they do require periodic burning. This is a great way to keep local fire department in practice! Most prairie restoration projects are funded in part by conservation groups and focus on education and ecologically sound management, so they butt heads with highway departments. I drive 45 miles one way to school, it is pretty boring except when the trees change colors!

Morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Well Howdy all you dirty fingernails, Hi Tabasco, Prairiegirl, and others.

*hugs* to my gemini_sage. As a gemini I have way too many irons in the fire and finding it hard to do all the things I want and need to do.

This Persian Rug thing really facinates me. Whether I can pull it off is another story, but that wont stop me from trying. So far I know I want to use the classic rug layout with the corners planted and a medalion of plantings in the center. Also, I would like some grassy plants along each end to give the impression of the fringe on a rug. Maybe some kind of focal piece in the center, such as a bird bath or sun dial. As a gemini Im having trouble settling on a color palette. So, maybe as many colors as I can find would be more appropriate for my rug. Suggestions are much appreciated as this is very much a work in progress. I have some rough sketches and mental images but digging has yet to begin. Anyway, thanks for the warm greeting and Im glad to be a member.

*smiles*
Rob (Alchmyst)

Thornton, IL

Finally, Rob, Welcome to DG! I think you should start a separate thread on the Persian Carpet idea, it is so interesting and many more people would see it. My first suggestion, small bunch grasses would make for nice "fringe", fox red curly sedge has a reddish bronze tint, for a traditional look. Also, I have some knot garden plans that use a sundial or armillary in the center, don't know if they would be useful. My kid's swimming pool killed the grass in a perfect circle, so they're just asking for it, LOL. Anyway, the planting plans I have suggest laying contrasting colors next to each other, like blue/yellow or red/green, the brighter the better. They also suggest borders around the bed, to define the edges. I guess the first thing you need to decide is whether you'll have a spring or summer blooming carpet, or both! Of course, you'll need to be meticulous about planting straight rows and snipping lanky strays. I can't wait for you to get started, just ask gemini sage, I've been excited about the idea from the moment I heard about it!

Yes, please start a separate thread. I think it's a fascinating idea and I'm sure everyone will want to peak at your ideas and progress.

Thornton, IL

Alchmyst (Rob) - Are you there? Maybe you'll have time this winter to refine those Persian carpet plans? Hint, hint. Don't just tease us....LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.