philodendron pink princess

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I bought this earlier this year, and it has put out several new leaves but is a slow grower.

Thumbnail by rylaff
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That's a nice one! It's my favorite of all the philos.
Yes, they do grow very slow and even slower if you burn em with fertilizer, like I did mine...lol

MsC

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

That is gorgeous! I've never seen one like that. I just put it on my wish list. LOL :o) Jenny

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow that pretty never seen one like that before but theres so much I haven,t seen .........lol ..........Sharon

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I luv it. I bought one too this summer. I did post a picture of it.
:) Donna

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Very nice, rylaff!

I recently got one too!!

A nice friend here on DG got it for me and shipped it to me!

Truly one of my favorite plants...hope I can do it justice!

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

I really dont have any more room for houseplants but I got to have that one to go with the other Phillys I have. Thanks for showing it.

Karen

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I sure wish i lived in a bigger area....so that i could get such nice plant like that...All we have is a WM in town...We do have a lowes but it is like a hour or more away.... :o(

Some day I will get the few plants that i want, i cant find around here....

BTW Rylaff,, that is beautiful plant.. I am sure you will get it to grow and looking beautiful in no time

Have a good day,
Char

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Wow this plant is hard to find, and pricey at that! I've been doing alot of reading on it, and it seems harder to grow than other philodendrons. What makes it harder? What kind of light do you all keep yours in?

And most pics I've seen show the plant leaves very upclose, but not the plant as a whole. But I've seen a few pics where it looks like it's more of an upright growing plant, rather than vining?

Jenny

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Jenny,

You can check with these folks... http://www.raretropicalplants.com.
They did have it and at the time is was $35!

Larry

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link Larry. I found that one during my searching. That's a bit more than I'm willing to pay right now. :O) I'll just keep it on my wishlist for now. I'm just curious why people say it's harder to grow? Jenny

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Jenny,

I did correspond with them and this is what emailed me....

The requirements are the same as most other philos, bright indirect light,well drained potting mix, easy house plant to grow.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you. :O) Jenny

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

I got one!!!!! a friend of mine gave me a piece of hers!!!! This one is more green then anything else.It does have one or two spots of "pink".

Karen

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Karen,

The more bright light you give it, the more pink it will develop. It needs constant humidity in order to keep the pink parts of the leaves from developing brown spots. This is ture moreso in winter when humidity levels tend to drop. I would keep it on a pebble tray in a brightly lit spot. It is a slow grower. I think I got maybe 6 new leaves in about a 3 month period of time. The soil requirements are pretty common, meaning, it needs well draining soil. Don't let the soil dry out completely, as it can turn a lower leaf or two yellow. By the same token, don't overwater it either, as the same effect is produced.

All in all this is a very rewarding plant to have. She's probably the most treasured plant I own.

GH

I have this one-bought at "rarer-plant" nursery. It becomes a monster plant. It was bought in a 6 inch pot 1 1/2 years ago and is now in a 12 inch pot. Seems easy, probably starts slow and then takes off.

Susan

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

I still have mine in water as it hasnt developed roots yet,but it looks great. It has grown alot since i got it. just no roots yet lol

Karen

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I got mine from rdaretgropicalplants and was very pleased at the size of the plant as well as the care that was taken when packing it. I have since bought other plants from him.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

rylaff does rdaretgropicalplants have a web site, cause I tried using that one and nothing came up.

2pugs,
I think that rylaffs link was a typo...

try this one:
http://www.raretropicalplants.com/new_rtp_site/home_pagex.html

MsC

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oooops, sorry for the extra letters. Yep, I just contact the guy with the website. Usually if he doesnt have it, he can grow it or get it.

Hey rylaff, don't worry it happens to the best of us...;-)

MsC

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Then is Pink Lady and Pink Princess the same plant?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.