Variegated Moses-in-the-Cradle question

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi :)

I bought a beautiful variegated Moses-in-the-Cradle a few weeks ago, and it seems to not like where I put it. It's about 4 feet away from a western window (although it loses sun more quickly than the other western exposures because the window is up about 2 feet from where the plant is). I water it when the top of the soil feels dry, sometimes letting it get a bit too dry.

So, it seems to be wilting a bit--I pull soft, dying and browning leaves off every so often (maybe every 1-3 days). Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? Also, it seems to be becoming more pale... Help! :)

Kelly

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi Kelly. I have a Moses in the Boat/Cradle, but mine isn't variegated. Mine is about 18 inches from a west window and it's doing quite well. I have it in a hanging basket, so it is right in the window. It also gets a bit of southern exposure. If the variegation of yours is becoming less....I would guess not enough light. I also pull off soft browning leaves, but only every so often. I'm thinking maybe more frequent watering.....and more light......Good luck! Jenny

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi :)

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to keep more on top of the watering, and try moving it closer to the window and see what happens!

Kelly

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello, I just thought I would throw this in out here..if either of you in the near future wanna share your moses in boat/cradle I would be more then happy to say a little piece off of your and pay for the shipping. I have been looking for it for almost a year round here and cant find it.

char

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I agree that it likely needs more light, but I would guess it needs* less* watering for now, if you're pulling off 'soft' browning leaves.

When you move it to brighter light it will need more frequent watering, but do allow it to dry a bit before you water.

Good luck!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Just figured I'd give an update, in case anyone was wondering. I moved it to a western window, and basically watered it as often as before--but now I'm more careful not to completely drench it. It's doing much better! The color is a little better, and no more soft brown leaves!

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.