A mushroom in with my Peace Lily!!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

How embarassing! I just found a mushroom in my peace lily, and some more smaller mushrooms ready to come up. The Peace Lily is getting droopy quicker than usual, so I had watered it more, which probably was even more favorable for the mushroom. I also found some fungus at the bottom of the pot around the drainage hole.

So now what do I do? I can repot the plant, even using sterile potting soil, but there will still be fungus with the plant itself. I don't want to use a man made fungicide, so if anyone has any organic solutions I'd love to know. So far the plant is healthy, except for the drooping. Perhaps I also need to put some rocks at the bottom of the pot so it will drain better? I've never had this happen before, so I'm stumped!

Thanks,
Dana

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, my problem is getting worse. The plant is even droopier. Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont' want to lose my peace lily!

Thanks,
Dana

(Zone 5b)

Dana, If you find it's wilting from too much water, post again because then maybe someone can help with that. I don't know about tropicals, but some perennials can be saved from crown rot if you catch it early enough. We have several peace lilies at work and two get so much water from everyone that the pots have puddles in them, and they have no problem. I'm sure that isn't the best situation, but they never droop, and the others droop when they're dry. We even had someone growing a small one in water.

I searched the internet and found your problem or a similar one in just a few various links. One had no answer, one said the mushrooms wouldn't harm the plant and offered no other explanation, and the third was for a yellow fungus on a jade plant. That one said if the plant is suffering, it could possibly be because it's competing with the mushrooms for water. Here's the link where I found this:
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/newsrelease/2003/050803/05hortis.htm
Another link said to just keep taking out the mushrooms and eventually they'd stop growing.

I don't know if the mushrooms in your plant are harmful to it, or if something else is happening that you're not noticing, and I don't know how to determine that. Try to inspect it to make sure there isn't something else making the plant droop or rot. It could even be coincidence and it's potbound and not getting enough water.

I really don't know the right answer for this. But if you're positive the plant is not wilting from too much water, I think the most natural way to treat it would be to do what the link said - repot the plant with sterile soil and clean the pot with bleach water. If the roots are real dry, maybe a good soak in the shower for a few minutes would be good.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the information! The question about the yellow houseplant fungus sounded similar to my situation. I've had the plant for quite some time and haven't changed the watering schedule, I don't think. I did repot it a couple months ago, so maybe the soil I used had gone "bad" somehow. I'll try repotting it and checking it carefully for any sign of over or underwatering... It's good to know that besides some kind of competition issues the fungus shouldn't be harming the plant. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Thanks,
Dana

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Did you add any packaged compost?
Sometimes they are made up of used mushroom production medium, but I definately would *not* dare eat one!

Sometimes in the composting, mushroom spores will come in and grow or some of the materials had mushroom mycellia in it and under the right conditions, they grow mushrooms. This might indicate that the soil has been evenly moist (or wet) for a long period. (see wilt notes below.)

I too had a spath that grew a nice cluster of mushrooms earlier this summer, but they were too small to be the regular grocery store kind, so I'm thinking the spores or mycellia were from the grower's potting medium.

On wilting when the soil is still moist: Danger Will Robinson! Root Rot in the 'hood!
Spaths hate to sit in water and will surely rot. Never let them sit in a full saucer, always letting them drain fully before putting them back in one.

Once they are severely damaged, it is a big chore to get them to recover: cleaning off the affected parts to find (if any) some healthy roots, plus very controlled watering, new sterile potting soil, etc.and it is easier to just replace the plant, unless you like that sort of "petting" or if it is an heirloom or of sentimental value

Spaths like to go a bit dry between waterings,1- 2" top dry to *almost* a wilt, then a good but not excessive "soaking" watering. Don't let them actually wilt. Spaths have a remarkable ability to come back from even a flatout wilt, but yellowed leaves can result. The point is to let them surface dry some so that air can enter the soil.

Another sign of over-watering is black spots on the leaves and/or waterlogged patches (edema) more easily noticed by looking on the underside of the leaves. Too wet for the temperature will also produce blackening. They like it warm, but can tolerate cooler temps somewhat if they are kept on the dry side.

Hope this helps.
raydio.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Do you think it's possible that I repotted it in too large a pot?? I repotted it because people were surprised it had never bloomed (they thought it was rootbound), and I notice there's some fungus around the bottom drainage hole, too. I've been kind of neglecting my houseplants lately, and usually remember to water only once I've noticed it beginning to wilt, so I doubt I'm overwatering, but it has been starting to wilt more frequently and more severely, and that's when I noticed the mushroom. I haven't repotted it yet and inspected it for signs, though... Perhaps you are right-- time to buy a new one?? (One that blooms?) :)

Oh, and I potted it in organic potting soil. I didn't add any compost, but maybe the organic mix has some already in it? I haven't noticed this with any of my other plants, though.

Thanks,
Dana

Over-potting can really slow the growth of almost any plant, so maybe that is part of it. The need some bightness to flower, though they will keep making leaves in poor light. They grow naturally in shade, not *deep* mind you, but with some reflected light. Put it closer to a window, but break any direct sun with a light curtain or move out of strong direct light. Higher humidity is a big plus, especially in winter.
If your plant is happy with the environment, it should be producing blooms year-round, though it may not *always* have one it. They need warmth. They prefer the temp to never go below, say, 65 degrees.
If you do opt for a new one and like a large plant with large blooms, I recommend "Mauna Loa" which will surely bloom all year round if happy.

In the earlier post, my recommendation was for a *large* plant--allowing the top to dry a bit. This is because there is water left down in the bottom part of a big pot that remains when the surface is dryish. Spaths *can* be kept constantly moist (less chance of yellowing leaves), just not wet. Lightly moist, you know, more light waterings vs. infrequent soakings.
I wouldn't let a small plant go too dry if it is otherwise healthy.

The larger the plant, that is, the more crowns there are, the more blooms you'll have, so not dividing it until you can do that and still have 2 (or more) good sized clumps. Each new leaf can produce a bloom.

Oh, yes I almost forgot....spaths love clean air and will suffer if there is gas (propane, natural, etc) in their environment.

Good luck!
raydio.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow, you sure know your spaths! I think the pot may be too big because it's fungus-y at the drainage hole even when the top soil is farily dry and the plant begins to droop. If the plant were taking up more of the container it seems like it wouldn't wilt when the bottom was still so moist.

I have my plant near a southern window, but with no direct light. It was actually a trip to the Ecuadorian Amazon that got me interested in houseplants to begin with, because I saw Peace Lily (among others) growing in their natural environment. :)

I'm still not sure about the watering issue. Fungus wouldn't thrive so well that it would turn into a mushroom if I were letting it dry out too much, would it? But at the same time, I feel like I've been neglecting it since it's been wilting.. Perhaps the fungal invasion is contributing, however. (?)

Although there are a couple of factors in our new house that may be contributing to its "unhappiness." My husband (much to my "unhappiness" also!!) likes the house cold. It has definitely gotten below 65 degrees. Also, we have a gas stove now, which may not be good for it.

If I can't salvage it, maybe I'll put the new one in our bathroom. I think it would be quite happy there. :) Thanks so much for all your advice and the great info!

--Dana

You should let the pot be "over-filled" with roots, that is to say, quite rootbound before potting up and don't go up a huge amount. Pick a pot that gives, say, a couple inches of space around the rootball. This way you'll help develope and maintain a good strong root system.
I have let them get direct winter light with nary a problem. They will burn in too strong an exposure (summer) however.
You might go ahead and unpot it to see how the roots are doing and remove any dead or sick ones, rinse all soil off (in warm water!) and repot in new peat-based mix.
Also, when you water, avoid watering with cold water, spaths do love a warmish drink, but do use at least room temperature water.
Good luck.
Robert.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, when I repotted it I think I followed the advice you're giving... I did repot the plant yesterday and it has perked up already. It looked like it was potted too shallow, which could also explain the wilting, I think. I'll water with warm water, too, and maybe move it to a lighter place. I'll see what happens, but this plant has survived me so far-- maybe it will be fine after all. :)

Thanks so much for all your help! You sure seems like the right person to be talking to about this!

Thanks,
Dana

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

When I have any plants that are wilting faster than they should, the usual suspect is root rot, which will starve the plant of water even if the soil is drenched. If you haven't already, you might want to unpot the plant and take a look at the roots. If any are yellow or brown, that's probably what's going on. Trim back the roots until they are healthy and repot with new potting soil. Watering with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water really helps as well. Having numerous picky tropicals, I've run into this situation a few times. I hope this helps.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

It seems to be doing better now that it's planted deeper, but if I notice anything fishy that's the first thing I'll check!! I don't think I've come across that yet, which means it's probably destined to happen sooner or later. :)

Thanks,
Dana

Thanks for compliments! (blush-blush)

Glad to hear your plant is perking up!

Just as a footnote: I'm no fungal expert, but mushrooms are termed the "fruiting body" of the fungus, which can be a huge organism, living inside the living or dead plant host. So. I was wondering if perhaps part of the problem might be a side effect of being host to the fungus. That it might have a toxic or damaging effect to the host plant...

So, I was thinking that a systemic fungicide might kill the internal fungus (assuming that it inhabits the plant) or perhaps a soil drench might be enough.

I think I'll be looking into this a bit, anywho.

raydio.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

According to the link that Cheryl_IL sent (if it's the same fungus, and it seems to fit the description) the fungus I have isn't harmful to the plant unless it's competing for water. (Luckily I don't think the plant was host to the fungus, but just the soil.) But then my plant was planted too shallow, which probablly played a role it its lack of water. I'll keep an eye on it. I'd prefer not to do any fungicide treatments if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Dana

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I just know that when you find mushrooms growing somewhere, it's supposed to mean that there's an imbalance in the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.