Finally...Figs!

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

What's the best way to winter-wrap two 7 foot high fig tree/bushes in an area of frequent high winds and widely varying temperatures? I have tried wrapping them in house insulation with a plastic tarp draped over both and tied down, to keep out rain. The last wind storm ripped off the tarp and partially took off the insulation. I've heard some people cut the roots on one side and bend them to the ground, which seems like a good anti-wind measure, but I'd feel bad about doing damage to the roots. Also, if I bundle each tree in an individual plastic tarp, wouldn't they cook in a warm spell?

Anyone with an idea?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've never done it, kabocha, but I understand the following works well in the northern areas.

Make a circle out of chicken wire (or other flexible fencing wire) around your tree, then stuff as many leaves as you can around the tree inside the wire. Once fully stuffed then wrap in plastic or sheets or tarp.

Apparently the leaves insulate pretty well, both from the cold and the heat.

Might be worth a try, eh?

Shoe.

Longboat Key, FL

I did it last year in NJ. It worked. After the leaves, I covered the top with a white plastic bag to keep out the rain and snow, and to let it breathe in the Spring.

: )

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

I wish I had enough leaves to do that, but have no deciduous trees. The few bags I have gleaned around town are earmarked for the compost pile. However, I could wrap chicken wire around the insulation to keep it in place. Thanks for the suggestions.

Longboat Key, FL

Actually first I put the chicken wire around, and then tie it. Then I stuff it. Don't forget the plastic bag on top.

Good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.