Transplanting Grasses.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

I have been transplanting grass clumps and did'nt trim them at all. Should I have trimmed them close to the ground? I really hate to since they are just now beginning to plume out.
TIA
Winnie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have successfully transplanted without trimming. However my landlord who is a landscaper always cuts them back when transplanting.

Plumes mostly give you seeds (besides beauty!).

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for responding.
Have you transplanted this time of year? I think I will leave them unless they start looking limpy.
Winnie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yes, even at this time but not much later. We are in the same zone.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes I see that.. I transplanted three Clumps of JS, one Zebra and four huge clumps of Maiden Grass.
They really grew from last year. There is some kind of Ornamental grass that grows all over a hillside not far from me. Making room to add to my collection.
:]

Thornton, IL

Winnie, You don't need to trim back the grasses until spring, not trimming until then is actually better because the crown will be protected from the ravages of winter weather. What is JS? Anyway, when you see new growth in spring, thats when you cut back the brown stuff, makes it much more attractive as the plant matures. Keep us posted as to what the native you've discovered is, its a good idea from an ecological standpoint to incorporate these into our gardens. Plus they usually flourish with little effort. :8)

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

PG5,
Japanese Silver=JS
I am a worry wart. I only got them last year and now I worry I may have killed them. The native grass has big plumes also. I first thought it was Maiden Grass but it don't seem to grow as tall and big.

Thornton, IL

Well, they're pretty hardy, they probably just look bad, but they're not dead. Like me in the a..m LOL Please send photo of native if possible and I'll help you identify it. :8)

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

PG5,
Will do , will be week-end before I get it. Will know to wear long sleeve shirt then.LOL
Winnie

Thornton, IL

What are you doing this weekend?! Be sure to get permission...gloves aint a bad idea.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

PG5,
I am digging grass this week-end. I have sent word to the owner by her grandson. I worked with her years ago. She will probably tell me to get all I want.LOL
Took Granddaughter to dentist yesterday and stopped by Lowes. I could'nt resist a pink pampas, a white pampas and a japanese silver variegated to add to my collection.
Winnie

Thornton, IL

Can you post pics? Are these perennial for you? We can't overwinter pampas unless in micro-climate.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

I have one on each end of my deck. They overwintered fine.
Winnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.