Seed Snatchin' Part XIV... Chaffin' the Booty!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Weezin! :)

Weeping Water, NE

Hi everyone, I am new to DG and yet boy do I feel as though I already fit in. I was able to put in my first flower garden in this year and I think I had a pretty good first year run at it. I even started some of the flowers from store bought seeds and seeds from my moms garden 2004. Last weekend I gather seeds from my own flowers, I was so excited to see them all seeding. I have them all labled and sorted. As far as snatching...well....my next door neighbor has some seeds and she doesn't even live there anymore. I mean I couldn't let them go to waiste could I? I have gathered some tree peony seeds from over the fence. Any tips on what to do with them now? I thought this would be a good place to ask this since you all seem to have some experience with seeds...haha.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome missc, I've never tried to start a peony from seed, although I would assume that you would dry it and store it, not sure if it is one that needs refrigeration or not check the plant forum maybe somebody who knows will give you a good answer. If your question is about other flower seed, just make sure they are dried, and store in a cool dry dark place, and start them next spring. Good luck.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Missc, welcome! I LOVE tree PEONIES!! I don't know what to do with the seed, but keep on snatching them and you'll have plenty for trial and error!! :)

Susan

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Welcome, missc! You'll fit right in here.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

missc, peony seeds are easy, but take patience, as they need two years to get to above the ground growth. Plant them this fall in a well marked spot. The first year, they grow only roots. The plant will appear after two years (2007). They are slow growers and take a few years to mature. It's like planting a seedling tree - all you need is time!

Oh, and welcome to the seed snatchers!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's something Bluespiral posted a while back on another thread that took a brief detour into tree peonies:

"I think the germination technique for them, according to the book Seed Germination and Practice by Norman C. Neno, 2nd ed is:
3 months at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by
3 months at 40 degrees F, followed by
3 months at 70 degrees F.
I think he says the root forms during the first 3 months and the true leaf forms during the third 3 months. I like to use a refrigerator we keep in the basement for seeds needing periods of coolth at 40 degrees F. I would sow the seeds as soon as they arrive, before any more enzymes that inhibit germination form."

Hope that helps! And, welcome to DG!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey snatchers!! Well dear sis got back from Scotland last night, called today and she got me Heather, Veronica, Hebe, and a type of lily. She described it as orange, with fingernail size blooms on the stalk, each plant having about 25-30. She is sending pics, when I get them I will post. Can't wait to get the seeds and get started germinating them.!! Great snatching, she's worried more about having to lie to get through customs than snatching the seeds!!

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, its official. I am now a seed snatcher. I took all the seeds I could from my mom's morning glories, (she isn't saving them!!) my sisters and her kids morning glories, and their dianthus and geraniums. LOL Of course they all think I'm crazy. I am managing to teach the kids (4, 7 and 9) how to tell when the pods are ready.

LOL

Hugs,
Janis

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good idean, Janis... Seed Snatchin' Cadets!

Tyler, TX

I went to an estate sale yesterday and asked if they would mind if I got a cutting from a purple potato vine. She was so nice about it that she went out and cut two nice sized vines for me! I can't believe my nerve. Before reading these posts for a while, I would never have done that! Should I just pot it and keep it in over winter? I

Starkville, MS

shirley - how did you get away with that ?!!! Every time I ask them about something, they promptly put a price tag on it and I end up either having to buy it or doing some covert snatching. (Actually, I usually already have the cuttings or seeds in my pocket before I ask). I figure if it was for sale in the first place, they shoulda put a tag on it! If it doesn't have a tag - its a free plant! I just ask cause my Mamma raised me right.

Tyler, TX

I'm getting a little concerned about myself. I don't go for the seeds, I go straight for the cuttings! Took my 18 yr. old son out to eat tonight and I said quick, pull in this parking lot. He did and I got the pale green potato vines (2), one more purple, and a very small tropicana canna! I was looking for the canna seeds but I don't think this plant had bloomed. I saw the landscaper earlier today. I'm going to keep watching this place and try to get some more when he replaces the flower beds. This is just too much fun!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

You have got to start getting video of this!

Finally got to this site again! Boy I've missed a bunch!
First, Susan, you go! Glad to see that redbud coming out. It looks better than the one I bought at the store!

Sueone, I loved your story! But you never know what men find attractive, so don't assume they were thinking you looked strange! My husband never finds me as attractive as he does when I have dirt on my face and twigs in my hair! There's something about the wild girl natural look that he really likes! And stick with this thread, because we've all been 'raised right', too, and we've all found ways around it! You stick with this thread and you'll be snatch' with the rest of us before you know it. I don't want to sound like a drug pusher, but all it takes is one time! And there's nothing wrong with asking! It's just a different kind of rush, that's all! It's perfectly okay to ask for a cutting,etc.

Shirley, I am so jealous of your nerve! We have so many businesses around here who have the canna craze, and all their pots are just jammed to bursting with Tropicanna! I haven't figured out how to snatch one yet! Maybe I need to go in the dark of night.

Tyler, TX

I did wait til they were closed to do my snatching. While I was there I saw that they have a beautiful garden with a pathway in the back. I'll have to go back again and check it out. It looked so serene and peaceful. They have a beautiful view from their office windows. They even had a picnic area to eat outside, if it ever cools off here.

Maybe you can find out who does their landscaping!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Weez is off today helping clean out the beds at a community
building.
In the back of her pickup are totes, trashbags and yard tools.
On the front seat , is her "seed snatching kit". Small cups, small zip lock bags, marking pens and her seed tools.
Normally I loose my place at the kitchen table in the spring, with plant starts everywhere theirs a flat spot. This fall, the table is cover with bowls of seed, cups of seeds, boxes, bags,
just about any thing that hold SEEDS..........
Dennis, aka,,,the old tom cat................

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Old Tom Cat! Are you snatching her place here?!!

Susan

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, I'm back from cleaning flower beds downtown. I don't think anybody has weeded those poor babies for years! I did get some seeds while I was down there... some lovely little Mystic Red mimulus, Empress of India nasturtium & Dwarf Dahlia, strawflower. The seed snatchin' collection is expanding!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

YEA!!!

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I just found out that there will be no school on Monday or Tuesday in Ga to conserve fuel. I am so glad I got my fix today and it will hopefully last though the middle of next week. I will need something.

Went to Lowes since I heard a DG'er in North Ga say they found roses cheap... Didn't find any roses....

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

There's mandevilla, goldstrum daisy, coral bell heuchera, homestead purple verbena, montauk daisy, mums, among others!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

The guy checking me out said that he'd never sold as many 1 gallons to one person ever.. I thought, surely he must be a new hire and I asked him how long he had worked there and he said for over a year and a half!! Now, I don't know, but I'm starting to believe that I'm not like normal people. I thought I was normal, and now I'm not so sure... But gee golly... If the 1 gallons were 3.96 and then marked down to $1., and then you had the brains to talk them into giving them to you for .50 and they agreed to .75..... wouldn't you have to take more than a couple?? I mean ya gotta get it while the gettins good right??

Susan

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Do you know, I've never seen a boy sitting in the middle of a garden while in his car seat! What a haul! (and what a grin on your boy -- he's adorable!) I'd say you got waaaaay "more than a couple" ROTFL! Good for you talking them down that additional 25%. You must have 50 pots in the car, at least... wow, that's a savings of something like $160!! You are going to be very busy planting them out this weekend, for sure. When you are done with all that digging, take some of your savings and treat yourself to a massage... or at least an ice cream cone!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Critter!!

Welll.... if you must know... I have over 100 pots in there!! I got 63 1 gallons, and the rest are assorted. I'll take another picture on the driveway in the morning.... if they are still there and someone hasn't snatched them!!

And I went to two different Lowes... this seems like totally normal behavior to me, right?? At the first one, I talked them into giving me the mandevilla at 50% off the already low price of $4, so I got two for $4. They had huge baskets of begonias for .50 a piece! I got four. Now I'm looking for propagation info for the mandevilla, as I want to root the stuff all over the place and then grow it all over my picket fence this upcoming spring/summer/fall season :) I might as well learn hoe to grow on begonias too!! I'm thinking it's pretty easy right??

Hey, I have to use that sales background for something now!!

:)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes... I will be busy planting these tomorrow!
My husband is so funny... Every once in a while when I get completely overloaded, I will hire help to help get me caught up...and out from under those huge dirt piles. And every time I bring home a car load like this he says HIRE HELP!! :) I'll get it all in tomorrow. :) All myself.. the big girl that I am. And a little help from the kids.

Susan

This message was edited Sep 24, 2005 11:36 AM

Susan, rest assured! You are entirely normal! I cannot believe the healthy looking plants you got at those prices! Around here when lowe's clearances out the plants, they are tatty and dead looking. Only a crazy person will take them on. (usually me) Yours look great! You're raising that boy right!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Pixy! I'm glad I only had one boy with me or else I don't know how I could have fit it all! Yes... all these plants were completely healthy looking. There were 5 dalia pots that looked ratty and the guy said he was about to throw them out and I got them free! I was so tired this morning that I'm getting a late start.. but I've got my plants.

Susan

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Susan glad to see someone is picking up my slack since I'm working and can't help Lowe's out this year.
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been thinking about you and glad to see your back Sidney. Yes, I'm certainly carrying the torch for you while you've been so busy :)

Susan

A confederate rose from my garden :)

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

What a great haul! I checked our Lowes here the other day and didn't find any good plants on sale. Bummer. Probably a good thing, though, since i still have plants from last weekend's haul from the plant sale at the snooty garden store and about 5 yards of mulch left to spread.

Can't believe the guy at lowe's gave you the plants for free! They'd never do that here! I was in there a month or so ago and there was a bit shopping cart full of 'throwaways' from the indoor plant section - begonias and all. I asked what they were going to do with them and the guy said throw them away. So I asked if I could have a couple and he wanted to charge me 2$ a pot for the priviledge! I clarified that they were simply going to throw them away, so why would he charge me for garbage? He said they don't ever give stuff away, even if it's going in the trash. I passed on it, believe me!

Susan, I've just been too tired to post. Will do some seed snatching before I leave Fayetteville, North Carolina. Going to botanical gardens here.
sidney

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Susan, I can't believe the bargains you found! You're lucky that you have the climate to be able to get all those plants and have the room to plant them. You go girl!
:) Donna

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm long past snatchin plants and well into snatchin seeds here. I'd probably go crazy if I could plant year 'round. Good snatchin, Susan! Better get what you can before they fire the lawn & garden manager for throwing away good plants!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

:) Thanks yall!!

Susan

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Sidney!!! Where you working? I tried to find it above and maybe I missed it. Congrats!!!

Nicole

Susan you are the current snatchin' queen I think!!!

Nicki,
Until 3:30 am this morning I am working in Fayetteville, NC. I have already gotten my lay-off check and am home, so I on overtime at the room for 55 more minutes. My work is like this.
Lay-offs are a way of life for Boilermakers. They are usually very expensive to shut down, so we fix the boiler and leave.
gonna snatch tomorrow at the Cape Fear Botanical Gardens.
sidney

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad you got a little work in anyway..... Have you sold your mom's house yet?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.