Fatsia

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi there, everyone.

Am seeking comments on fatsia japonica as year around houseplants only! All comments are welcome!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmm...well, I have been placing mine outdoors during the summer, in the shade/under a tree, but otherwise grow it indoors.

It tolerates low light well and enjoys a cool location.
Mine is right by the front door during the winter, where it constantly receives a draft when the door opens.

If you can't provide a 'coolish' location, you will need higher than average humidity, as the spider mites may take over.

I place it outdoors during the summer because this is when it's growth becomes most dense and lush.

Hope that helps!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Nan,

Thanks for the info and it was just where I wanted to place mines'(by the front door in a draft)LOL. I ordered two varigated ones.

Thanks, again.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

May I ask where you found a variegated one? (lol!)
I had a lead on one a while back, and it fell through.

I've often read, too, that variegation in many plants is stronger in cooler conditions.

I've never (obviously!) owned a variegated Fatsia....I imagine they need a bit brighter light than the green one.

Good luck with yours....the variegated ones are beautiful!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Nan,

Here is the site http://www.plantdelights.com/. I don't know it this will work as a hyperlink. 8.) but you can, always, copy and paste. The care seems to be the same, will know when I get them.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks!
Wow, that one named 'Spider's Web' is cool...hadn't seen that one before!

Are you getting the 'Variegata' or the 'Spider's Web'?

Good luck, and post photos if you can when you receive them!

I know you'll enjoy them!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Sorry about taking so long to reply. I got both of them. You have to order a minimum amount so I, thought, why not get both of them. Have searched awhile. Anyway, will take pictures and post as soon as I can find a camera and learn how to operate one. LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oooh...lucky you.

I'm assuming you've received them?
Curious as to what you think....as I've never ordered from PD before.

Looking forward to the photos!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I did received them; excellent packing, plants looked healthy and so far are doing fine. I put a comment in 'garden watchdog' pertaining to PD.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Fatsia japonica Variegata #1

Thumbnail by senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Fatsia Japonica 'Variegata' #2

Thumbnail by senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Fatsia japonica 'Spider's Web' #1

Thumbnail by senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Fatsia japonica 'Spider's Web' #2

Thumbnail by senlarrs
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

oOoH...me like! lol!

They look really good!

You sure found that camera and learned to operate it *fast*.

I'm going to have to seriously think about ordering one, now...thank you very much! (lol! Now you're an 'enabler'!)

Consider placing them outdoors in a shady spot during the summer...they really produce a nice flush of growth that looks good all winter!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Nan,

Thanks for the comments. I am just 'grinning like a champ'.LOL
Yes, I read fast!LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.