Abutilon Hunnington's Pink

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Bought this one this Spring. Been blooming all Summer. The flowers look so delicate.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Donna,

Your flowering maple is beautiful! I've never saw one that color. I have one that is similar. I'll post a pic. I am going to try get some cuttings to root this fall. Would you like to do a trade?

Kathy

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Sure, I might have some cuttings started already. I think I also have the var. kind of the one you posted which I don't have.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

This is another variety that I have. It is 4 foot tall now.

Kathy

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Ooooh, I don't have that one either. Here is another one that I have.

This one is called Souvenir De Bonn

This message was edited Aug 18, 2005 8:35 PM

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, I like that one! I have a different variegated one that has spotted leaves with peach flowers. I'll have to get a pic tomorrow it's too dark now. How many different kinds of flowering maples to you have?

Kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I've been looking for the spotted one with the peach flowers. I have two more different ones. Here is the picture of the one of them. I'll have to take a picture of the other one tomorrow.

This one is Thompsonii Pictum

This message was edited Aug 18, 2005 8:34 PM

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Never saw that kind before. I'll get you a picture of mine tomorrow. I have to go for today. I need to get up at 5am for work tomorrow.

Kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Nighty, night!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Donna,

I'm back. Here's a few more pictures of other flowering maples that I have.

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Another Flowering Maple. This is one that I let go dormant last winter. My husband thought it was dead and asked me to through it out. I'm glad that I didn't listen.

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is the vareigated one. The leaves are a little more yellow than they are supposed to be. I think that I overwatered it.

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here is Abutilon Savitzii. This one is definitely a slow grower.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I forgot the name of this one, but it's variegated and has the same flower like your first picture above.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

This is another one I overwintered that I lost the tag for.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

The one that you overwintered and your DH thought was dead, I also overwintered a pink one that constantly bloomed all winter in the basement.

The first and third picture are ones I don't have. What is the variegated viney plant in the background? Is it a var. pandora vine?

Email me.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Beautiful photos and pretty plants with nice blooms.
Kathy you have bought the plants or start from seeds?
Kaleem

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Most of the plants I have purchased. I do have some seed and I'm going to start some in the spring. A couple of flowering maples that I have have never given me seed pods. I guess they can only be started by cuttings.

Donna I sent you a Dmail

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Hello! I want to participate too!!! I only got one picture right now, but I hope to take more this weekend. This one is Abutilon megapotamicum, hummingbirds surely love them, me too!

Thumbnail by zarcanat
Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

There is something funny about variegated abutilon, those with yellow ''freckles''. Actually, that's an harmless virus that give them this spectacular appearance. I wonder if it could be transmitted by bugs...

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Zarcanat,

I like your flowering maple. Is this one an upright plant or a trailer? Mine is a trailer - good for hanging baskets or.

kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Zarcanat, yours looks like Kathy's. I posted the variegated one like that.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Kathy, it is a trailer, what I like about this one is that the twigs and branches get brown-black so it is even prettier than the regular abutilon cultivars. Like Donna said, it might be the same as yours. I heard that there is a cultivar of that species that have flowers completely red, should be beautiful!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

zarcanat,

What other typed of flowering maples do you have? Would sure like to see pictures!

Does anyone know of any good sources of them. I was searching on the internet. I didn't find much but didn't spend too much time looking either. I found most of mine one at a time at different nurseries all over Michigan.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Here is my other flowering maple.
I doo have Dame Vanessa (yellow) and a pink cutting and a red cutting but they still are not rooted.

Thumbnail by zarcanat
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

zarcanat,

How large do your plants get. I have 2 plants that get 3-5 fool tall. I also have one that is already taller that me. I'm not sure how tall it'll get. The others that I have are smaller varieties that only get about a 1 foot tall.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I do not know for the cuttings but the orange one pictured gets very tall (taller than me too), I had it for years.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Now that you mention it, I do remember a peach colored one that I have getting quite tall last year. I never overwinter this one since a local nursery sells this one quite reasonble every year. I wish they had other varieties too.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks zarcanat. I think that I'll be ordering a couple of catalogs.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I just thought that I'd share this photo with you guys. I had been flowering so nice since it cooled down a bit. I really like the two-tone flowers.

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I found a very interesting place in British Columbia:
https://www.highspeedplus.com/~harborcrest/tropicalsab.html

Oups, not so great place

GARDEN WATCHDOG says 8 negative / 9 comments

This message was edited Sep 30, 2005 4:16 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Did you check the Garden Dog about this place. The last time I had checked it hadn't showed that great.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

OHHHHHHH GEEZZZZZZ !!! Please forget that I said that, I will edit my mail ;-((((

Valley Village, CA

Many of the Arbutlin came from the Huntington Garden, the hybridizer was Jack Catlin. They can be started from seed. That is how Jack got the new hybrids. Then we took the cuttings. New Hybrids must be started from seed. Norma

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Didn't know that Norma. Cool!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Kathy, which variety is that one that your husband wanted you to throw out? I love that!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

It's actually 3 different plants planted in the same pot. The yellow one is the one that I have gotten seed from.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The one that is yellow at the base and salmony in the big part... It looks like one type.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.