Alocasia-African Mask Plant Help

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I purchased an Alocasia African Mask Plant a couple of months ago, and had a problem with the leaves turning yellow an then falling off. Eventually, it was taken over by spider mites and I threw it out. I just bought a new one last Saturday, and it looked healthy and great, and now the bottom small new leaves are turning yellow, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Last time I thought it was the plant food, but I have not added anything to this one except water. The first plant I bought from a nursery where they told me it needed bright light, this new one I told me it doesn't require bright light. Please help.

Thumbnail by kanita
Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Ask the good folks in the "Tropicals" forum. There are lots of aroid/alocacia gurus there. All I can tell you is that the plant does not need bright sunlight and does need lots of water. They like heat and humidity. I realize that in CA...humidity is hard to come by! There are other CA people growing alocacia in that forum. Maybe they can help.

Holly

Thanks Holly!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Kanita,

It is not uncomon for plants that have been grown in a Greenhouse/nursery to yellow out and drop some of the bottom, smaller leaves when you bring it home. All it means is that it cannot sustain all the growth in it's new, dryer, environment. Not to worry!

Do not overwater this plant! It IS a bit finnicky (at least here, where it has to be brought in for the winter) and not a very "lush" plant, as it seems to have a semi-dormant period in the winter.

I am sure someone from the "warmer climes" will chime in and help you out more. It IS beautiful--and a real eye-catcher!

Gita

Thanks so much Gita!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.