What This? - Again

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for all of your help with my last problem, now here's another. I got this plant for $1.50. It's great and unusual, but I cannot find it anywhere to identify what it is. I spent all day yesterday looking through online photos of tropical plants. Anyone got any ideas?

Thumbnail by kanita

This is the container I put together with all of my $1.50 plants I found.

Thumbnail by kanita
Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I used to have one of those....it is a croton of some kind......not sure of the variety.....but mine lost all of its leaves......just after i bought it, about two weeks.....dont know just what happened.......your container looks great! I see you have a another croton in there too....the more common one.......the one thats always in dish gardens.......

This message was edited Aug 9, 2005 11:17 AM

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

here are a couple of links.....maybe banana, or red banana..
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/100330/index.html
heres one....

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

and another......
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/91705/index.html
my guess even though there are no pics of the red banana is that it is probably red........good luck!

This message was edited Aug 9, 2005 11:33 AM

Thanks Scooby!

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

your very welcome! keep us posted on the progress of that beautiful pot garden!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Kanita,

It's definitely a croton. They like lots and lots of sun. You also have a broadleaf variety in your planter. You can go to www.croton.org for more info. They are beautiful plants. I have one here but it struggles constantly because of a lack of sun in the summer.

Your "bowl" of plants is beautiful!

Holly

Thanks Holly! Did you want a cutting of that nematanthus?

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hey!

I'll wait 'till it blooms. It's very exciting waiting to see what kind it is. Obviously...I have no life. I'm about to "tip" my N. tropicana and I always root the cuttings, so if you get addicted...I'll share!

P.S. I'm going on a cruise to Costa Maya Mexico in about a week! I'm so excited. I NEVER go on vacation (mostly because my dog can't go too).

Holly

That great Holly! I hope you'll have a great trip. I know its hard to travel when you have a dog. I had 2 dalmatians myself and had to put one down a couple of months ago. Have a coctail for me.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm so sorry about your spotted friend. I work in a veterinary clinic. It's so sad when they leave us for the Rainbow Bridge. Abigail is my very, very best friend.

Holly

Thumbnail by NematanthusNut

That is tooooo CUTE!

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

Abigail is a very cute girl.......what do you do at the clinic? I am a groomer and used to have a business in a clinic, but that is the closest i have come to working in a clinic.......
Oh and i would take cuttings of anything if you all have extras.........if not, oh well...but thought i'd throw that in there......thanks abbie

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm a groomer too! I've been working in veterinary clinics for about 8 years. I am fortunate to be working for a really wonderful veterinarian here. The picture was Abigail's costume (as Dorothy in Wiz.of Oz) in the Petco Halloween costume contest back in Tennessee. She won first place!

Holly

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

awsome!! small world! how long have you been grooming? I've been about ten yrs......and dont work for anyone....only twice did i work for someone else....thats what i like about grooming....you dont have to work for someone else!! I absolutely hate having a boss!! I currently have a small but workable shop in my basement...I dont have tons of clients, but i like it that way....I usually only take one client a day.....with however many dogs they have......once in a great while i end up with an overlap.....I love grooming this way....I hae wonderful clients and they spread the word for me....my only form of advertising is word of mouth, dh has my cards in his muffler shop and my one client owns a bird store where she puts out my cards.....I take care of a lot of dogs who have been asked not to come back to other shops......I figure, someones gotta groom 'em.......I get a lot of appriciation and a lot of satisfaction from it even if i am not getting rich!! nice to meet another groomer!! Congrats on the costume! abbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.