Houseplants Gone Wild

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Someone who lived here before us had planted syngoniums (arrowhead vine) behind the house. I would never have thought the plant would survive temperatures below 50F and was surprised to see it, so I planted some in a pot beside a tree. That was 7 or 8 years ago. Now it has climbed up into the tree even blooms some times. It isn't out of control, just jungly enough to be interesting. Here are some pictures. (All the messy fluff everywhere is spent mimosa tree flowers.)

This is a flower.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2005 1:21 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Aerial roots and stems going up the tree.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Mature leaves lose their variegation and have five or more points or "fingers".

Thumbnail by Kelli

Some more aerial roots. (Is that what you call these?)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Kelli - just wanted to say hi to another local

kanita

Hi!!!

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get it to do that inside! On the other hand I had a topic on plants I wish I never met and someone from Florida (I think) listed this one because it was taking over.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2005 9:32 PM

I could imagine that it could take over in a more rainy climate, but it's dry enough here to keep it under control. There is not a lot of it up in the tree, just enough to be interesting. I've lived most of my life in PA, so anything jungle-y like this just blows me away.

Awesome! I've seen a syngonium with thick stems like that hanging from a ceiling in an office under fluorescents but I've never had much luck with them.

Susan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Is that ever cool! I have a brazilian philo that started to crawl up the wall and didn't realize it had attached itself until I was taking cuttings. Should have taken a picture. Still have the brown marks on the wall....lol.
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.