S FL Galloping Gardners-8/1/05

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

This is 844. Purple flowers and purple underside of the leaves. I only took a single shot of each of these plants. I lined them all up and just shot away. This shot doesn't show the leaves very well. I believe it's from Val.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 843. I may have several of these. Some of 'em have to grow more for better ID.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 841. I think from Molly, it's a butterfly bush?

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 840. It's the plant I gave you all leaves with roots at Jessie's. Molly originally wanted to buy this plant. It may not look like it, but it's doing well. It will be just a little bit before I can get more of this in case your "leaves" didn't do well.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 839. I think from Val.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 838.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 836. I think from Val. It had small clusters of flowers, which are now shown almost dried up.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 834. I believe it's Stevia from Molly. It's giving me problems. I have three going, and they appear to be growing, but the stems are turning brown, a bad sign. One of the three has a couple of small new leaves. All have grown large leaves, but this is common when growing plants using this method.

Thumbnail by artcons

This is 832 from Val. I remember she said it gets very big. It's doing good even though it looks droopy. The large stalk on the left has new shoots growing.

Thumbnail by artcons

The last plant is a purple sweet potato #831 from Nancy's Lanai. I sent it because it seems to want to grow upright. It's getting pretty large. Do they grow upright? This was the plant I mentioned seemed to be a lighter color at Nancy's.

Successes not shown are Turk's Cap, Party time Alternanthera, solid color Elephant Bush, 6 canna's, Pink Porterweed and one tall thing I forgot to photograph (it's in a different area) It has a small pink? flower on a very tall stem, the stem is about 18" tall.

A ?plum and two croton's from Val are holding their own. A Blanket flower (which I already had) from Molly is doing fine.

Problem's for me are the necklace plant (1 out of 4) is still hanging in there and has a chance. The Beach Hibiscus from Nancy is barley hanging in there. It had been doing good but has taken a turn for the worse. I think I treated it too casually and took for granted it was easy. It may come back. I previously mentioned the Stevia. It is also more difficult than I originally thought. Three are still alive and look ok, except the stalk is turning brown way too early. One does show promise in that it has new leaf growth out of a stem.

A note about the terrarium method. Since the terrariums keep the area the plant is in humid, plants have a tendency to keep alive and we may think they are growing. Sometimes, as in the cases above, this is a false reading. The plants are just staying alive but not growing roots. This is the major flaw in using this system. You have to know how the plant needs to be treated. This method is not surefire and doesn't work all the time. On a positive note, it's much easier and does have a very high success rate. The plants this method produces will more quickly emulate the mother plant and do it much faster than any other method. Plants that need to be propogated via hardwood cuttings work only about two out of five tries using this system. It's something I need to experiment with more than I do now.

Thanks again for your help in identifying these plants for me.

Art

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi Art, now I can see them better. I believe 848 is Purslane, 847 is Salvia leucantha or Mexican Sage, 844 is Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender', 841 is Justicia carnea or Brazilian Plume Flower, 832 is Megakepasma erythrochlamys or Brazilian Red Cloak. #840 is Medinilla magnifica or Medinilla. 839 may be Simpson's Stopper or Myrcianthes fragrans. 836 is Cordia globosa or Bloodberry.
That's all I can tell for now. I hope this helps you some.

Val

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

That's exactly what I thought too!
sidney

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Well geesh Art,

I have nothing further to add except, with large lettering on the menu and lots of light, those eyeglasses stay in the handbag.

:^)))

LOL Molly. I agree with you. I wear my reading glasses on top of bifocal contacts. Talk about being blind.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm BACKKKKKKKKKKKKkk.......... Good to be home.. Love my family, but there is no place like home, ToTo.....

Hap

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Welcome home Hap...good to see you again!
Pati

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Me too!
sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Friends..

Well, things sure can grow in 6 days. According to DH we had a couple of good rain days and then lots of sun. I'm going to have to get my whip out tomorrow when I hit the garden. Today is desk day. That seems to grow as fast as the garden...nothing but weeds though..

What's up for next Weds folks? Shall we do another nursery or hit one of the public gardens? I'm game for anything. Just want to do something.....Lunch was fun too.

Tour leader????? Val......?????? whatcha say girl?

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art, about your pics. The best I can do is:

#854--Pink Trumpet Vine in PF

850--Brunsfelsia americana - in PF

850 Bleeding Heart Vine

846 One of the duckfoot coleus...I have to check further on that...but I think it's Super Duckfoot.

845 is mine but I don't remember what

843 I think is the same as 854..

Hope that this helps.

Hap

Hi Hap. Nice to see you returned safely. Hope the trip went well for you and your family.

I don't know why, but I thought you were coming back next week.

The coleus was a smallish plant.

My Thanks to all of you for your help with the cuttings.

Next time I will take pictures of the mother plant and use the camera's memo to record it's name.

Looking forward to our next GT next week.

Art

Hi Hap, glad to see you back. Hope you had a great trip.

I was thinking that perhaps we could go to a park (hopefully one with plenty of shade) or maybe to Butterfly World, we can even have lunch there since they have a small cafeteria.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

I rather wait until the weather cools off a bit to visit the parks we mentioned earlier. This way we can stay longer without melting.

What do you all think? I'm open to any other ideas.

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, yes, yes, from me.....I've wanted to go there for years. Count me in....

Hap, you haven't been there yet? Then definitely we must go there, it's a beautiful place. How about next Friday?

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Friday is good, but I thought that we agreed with next Weds the 17th. It makes no difference to me...lets see what the rest of the brood say...

No I have not been there...I have not been anywhere here....after all, I've only lived here 22 years...Gvie me a break...can't rush things, ya know....LOL

LOL. I would love to make it on Wednesday, but I got an appt. that I can't change now. I hope that Fri. is Ok for everybody else. I'm pretty busy for most of the week. Friday is the only day that I have free al day.

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's in my book......

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

WAIT>>>>>>>....which Friday are we talking about....this Fri or the 19th?

I'm in no matter where we go. Butterfly World sounds good. They probably have much of the place air conditioned too, but I don't know that for a fact. The butterfly conservatory at Key West was air conditioned.

If we go there, we should get there early. It will take time to go through that place, what with pictures of butterflies, flora, landscaping design, and all the plant names, growing conditions, etc...

Great idea, especially if air conditioned. I will need to buy another battery for my camera as a back up. I have been waiting for this trip (to butterfly world) for a long time.

I'm so excited...I just can't hide it....(can't remember who sung that)

Art

Art

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Art....The Pointer Sisters.
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Do you know everything, there, Pati.....? Your sumptem...

Hap

PS Lets look in the paper for sometimes there are coupons with $2 off.

Hap, Friday the 19th it is. Wait, we haven't heard from Molly yet. I hope it is all right with her.

Art, I'm glad you are excited. I'm not sure about the A/C, I've never gone at this time of the year. It would be great if it is air conditioned. Getting there early is a good idea, it gives us plenty of time to look around and take pictures. Afterwards, maybe we can grab a bite to eat there or somewhere else. I'm not sure what's around there though. We'll figure it out.

Is there anybody else that may want to join us?

Hap, coupons are a great idea since the entrance fee tends to be rather pricey. I'll look for them.

Now all we have to do is wait for Molly's reply and then we are set. Yippeee, I love that place and even better when you share it with like minded friends.

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ok, the 19th.... will contact TPlant and see if he can go.

I think the coupons are in Sunday's papers....the Sun-Sentinel maybe. I will check.

Yippee, we are on our way.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

PS..I will meet you there. What about 9:30....what time do they open....oh, I will check...

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They open at 9am...

Address:

3600 W. Sample

954-977-4400

It's just west of the turnpike and E of 441.

Hap, 9:30 sounds really good. I will avoid, for the most part, the rush hour traffic. I hope that Tplant can meet us there too.

Art, is that a good time for you? Molly are you joining us?

Val

Yes, I am joining, and Friday the 19th is good for me too. Art, if you want to spend all your time in the gift shop, you can have air conditioning. At least as I recall most of the "attractions" are outside in huge screened type enclosures.

So dress comfortably and lunch sounds good too. I can't remember if they have any good food there.

It will be great to go with company this time. Last time, when I had a mate, I couldn't drag him to places like this.

Anyone interested in a car pool at all?

Molly
:^)))

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I just got COUPONS.....Buy one-get one free....YIPPEE

Our expenses were just cut in half......

Hap

cool Hap!!!!

That's great!!!!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi y'all, future friends.

I was reading about your upcoming visits. Sounds lovely. I'll certainly join you when I get there, if you'll let me.

I share this picture of something I bought at our church's giant garage sale this last May. The bag contained 12 bulbs, read: "orchid gladiola bulbs" and sold for 1$. I had an empty spot in full sun, so I bought and planted them. The squirrels here usually dig up such bulbs before they even have time to sprout, much less bloom. Well lo and behold, they didn't touch them. It pays to buy at the church, i guess. There is a picture of one of them.

Take care.
SYLVAIN.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.