New Palm: Advice Needed

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, I got brave and bought a palm today. It was less than eight bucks at HD, so I figured I couldn't go wrong! I don't know any specifics about what kind it is (it was sold as an "assorted palm), but I'd really like to see it thrive here. I am planning on keeping it by our tub in the bathroom. We don't use the tub much, but the shower is near and it will get a lot of light-- mostly indirect I think. Does that sound like the right kind of conditions for a palm? I haven't had luck with them in the past, but it sure looks neat there! I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Dana

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't have any luck with palms in the house either, but I buy 2 when they have them on sale and change them out every 2-3 weeks or so.I put one in the house & one on the patio and just change them out when I think they look sad, they will live but not really thrive. They sure are pretty in the house anyway.

Maybe someone else will tell us what to do to get them to thrive in the house...

MsC

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

I've grown quite a few palms as houseplants and I'd say a bathroom with bright indirect light is the best place in the house for them, especially if you live in a drier climate like mine . I actually grow my smaller palms in african violet pots with orchid mix, they love it! I'm thinking of setting up my larger ones the same way in large terra cotta pots inside a bucket or something. Do not place them by a television, especially a large one , the air is very dry around the TV and it sucks the life out of them.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, well I hope it will do okay here! I think the bathroom should be a good place then. It might do alright outside for awhile here, but palms wouldn't be hardy for much longer. We live in western Washington, which is famous for being rainy. So although it's not warm, it's not dry. Good info on your watering system! I think I'll try keeping it where it is for awhile, and then if it needs some TLC I'll have some options. :)

Thanks for the advice!
--Dana

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Dana,

I work at a HD. They get in pretty much the same assortment of palms all the time. Ours are sitting out front of the store right now. Yep[!! We got them too! It would help if you knew which one you have.
I agree with "maddness" that the location is ideal! They LOVE humidity! If you kept them outside, they would need filtered light.

You may either have:
1. A Majesty Palm-- ( long, strong, single stems with a very large "leaf" on them. Each stem comes from the base.

2. A Neanthabella Palm--smaller in size, has a bunch of nice, strong fronds on it. Almost fills the pot. Kind of dark green.

3. A Parlor Palm--has a lot of weak, wispy stems with the fronds on them. Sometimes a section can "break" apart from the main cluster and go horizontal. Quite a bunch of stems.

4. A Robellini Palm--Very short and has very fine "leaves" on the stems. About half way down on the "stems" there are thorns. Seems to grow from a thick base.

Those are the main ones. Every now and then they get in some odder ones, like a "Cocunut Palm", a "Spindle Palm", a "Fishtail Palm", etc.

Tell me which of the 4 main ones you have. They all have different "habits".
Gita

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I've had this window open for a couple of days now intending to take a picture and post it. I think it's one of the first two, it's definitely not the last one, and there are no horizontal sections yet, anyway. :) It's doing well there so far with minimal attention, although it might not be getting a lot of humidity since our shower is in its own little room off the main bathroom-- at least they're close though. I'll still try and post a picture. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, Danak.

This thread reminded me to take some updated photos of my houseplants! I like to photograph them as they grow, to track how they develop. This is an Areca palm, which is a pretty common palm sold as a houseplant.

The image on the right was just after I bought it last year.

Lori

Thumbnail by ladyrowan
Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

This is my parlor palm, last year, and tonight. It hasn't grown much taller, but has filled out quite a bit.

Lori

Thumbnail by ladyrowan
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, I finally took pictures of my palm! And now I have another question: how do I get it to grow straight up? I realized it's leaning in one direction (toward the window, but I don't know if that's significant since it hasn't really been there very long). The palm is probably about three feet tall right now.

Thumbnail by danak
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Here's a closer picture of the frond. Anyone recognize this one??

Thanks,
Dana

Thumbnail by danak
Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Danak, it looks like a parlor palm, and appears to be growing straight up right now.

Lori

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I took the picture of its best side. :) It's growing toward the camera a bit.

I thought it looked like your parlor palm picture...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Danak,

Your palm looks great! I hope it will live a long life for you!

I have to appologize for my definitions in my previous post. In #3, I described an Areca Palm (weak, wispy branches.....), NOT a Parlor palm. Obviously, yours is a Parlor palm and it should do well. I am glad you did not get a majesty Plam! Even though they look "majestic" when purchased, they do not hold up that well indoors.

For general palm care------

Keep it evenly watered, NO totally dry periods followed my a soaking. Do allow the top couple of inches to go dry before you water again. Always water well when you water, allowing the whole root-ball to get wet, and then dump out any remaining water in the saucer about 20 minutes later. DO NOT allow the plant to sit in "wet feet". It will rot. Water about every 7-10 days if you follow this advice. Root rotting can also happen when people put the original pot in a decorative pot (eg a fish bowl) that has NO drainage. The water collects in the bottom, gets stagnant, and the plant will suffer. Rocks in the bottom work only for as deep as the rocks are, Water can, and will still sit there--rocks or no rocks.

As far as the foliage goes, keep it clean and keep it misted if you have low humidity in the house--as in the winter. Giving the palm a tepid shower once in a while will do wonders--or take it outside and hose it down real good! Look out for Spider Mites and Mealy Bugs. They like Palms.....

Do not freak out if some of the fromds yellow off. It would be natural...Just cut them off at the base. Dry tips mean low humidity or a high "salt" (chlorine) content in your tap water. Try to use water that has sat out for a couple of days.

As for the leaning, it probably grew that way. Light will play a role in how a plant grows. See if you can pull it straight and then firm the soil to hold it that way.
There are many Houseplant books available. If you do not have one--get one. It helps to read up on any new plant you purchase.

Or....just ask anyone on DG!!!! Gita

Gita

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much for the info! I do have a houseplant book (I LOVE it!), but it's still packed after moving. :) I certainly think I can follow your advice, so hopefully the palm will live a long happy live here!

Thanks,
Dana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.