Overwintering Geranuims?

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

I've heard several methods....barerooting the plant and hanging it upside down in a brown paper sack in the basement, and replanting in the spring......putting the container in the basement for the winter, then putting it back out in the spring......or just keeping it growing indoors over the winter. What do you all find to be the best method for overwintering geraniums? I've tried to keep them going indoors, and they do ok, but never great. Jenny zone 5

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Jenny,

I have a friend who's older uncle just took the pot, plant and dirt and all and put it in the basement. A little spray of water every now and tehen. Spring came, a thorough pruning to prevent legginess, and viola! A prize winning geranium specimen. It worked for about 4 years!

Nick

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Neat. I may have to try this. I have 3 pots of geraniums I want to save. One pot is an ivy geranium assortment that I especially don't want to loose. Jenny

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I grow several varieties as bonsai under lights over winter, but some of the more interesting outdoor stuff I do exactly as my neighbor in Mt Pleasant does. ;o)

I have also overwintered in the garage after bare-rooting (I have a small room off the garage that never freezes) and have bare-rooted & stored them in peat in a bag in a sort of root-cellar place I have under front porch.

Al

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I am interested in this thread as well. I have several that I would like to overwinter and I live in zone 5.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

As of now, I think I'll just stick the pots in the basement and pull them back out in the spring. I remember my MIL told me once that she stored hers in a basement like setting where it stayed about 50*, and her's look fantastic the following spring. It's worth a shot. Jenny

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like we both have some overwintering to do this year, Jenny! I'm also going to be overwintering several geraniums......pelar.'s, scenteds, and my prized variegated ivies! You guys don't even want to see the "greenhouse" that I keep in my house all winter!

MKJ

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

LOL My husband says my sunroom looks like a jungle. :O) Jenny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.