Spotted, Streaked, Plicata Throw them at Me!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I told Paul what I wanted - flower size, substance, not pastel, etc. and he wrote me a great list of what to buy. I'm really happy. :-) What a fun process.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow. Paul really looks different with a beard. He doesn't have one anymore.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

We have changed in the last few years
LOL

This message was edited Jul 26, 2005 7:42 PM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sure, Tazzy is a blonde & even prettier than she was then! :)

The Blonde thing was a have to.
Grey or Blonde ? let me think Hmmm ? BLONDE !
plus it fits my personality more than the auburn did .
" Excuse me while I stare at the sun ",
I am a blonde. it is not senility its the hair ? Hmmmmp

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Tazzy you are tooo funny.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

How about a horned SA Wanda ?

TB SA Battlestar

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Oh drat it Scooter !
I had just close my want list, and you tease me with that , I am a addict , sinking deep into Iris greed and lust. WH-E-E-E-E !

Scooter--what a handsome space age beauty! Sigh. Just when I think my beds are safe to leave alone....

Just got in a special trade today--
Gnu Again
Splashcata
Lunar Frost
Gnu Again
Butter Pecan
Acoma
Life is rough all over--huh?

One of my favorites--Spinning Wheel

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Nice trade, Wanda!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

tazzy,

ain't she purty and soooo colorful . wish I had a better picture but I was having camera probs ..... bummer

This was her first bloom for me , I got her last fall.

Can't wait to see a bunch if them together , hopefully next year.

Wanda ;
Splasicana just won the Dykes Medal .
So you did very good .

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

mercy they are so beautiful minnesota mixed up kid now never heard of it but this mixed up Minnesota kid will have to have some day......

Lebanon, OR

Glad Paul moved here to OR as he is a super guy and funny:) He will be digging for our sale on the 12th and the 13th is the sale...super steals and I swear up and down I WILL NOT BUY ANY, well we all know how that goes...end up spending way too much but always tell myself it is for a good cause, our club then turn around the next week and go to the Portland sale. The Portland Auction is the 6th, Daylily Auction on the 7th Salem sale on the 13th, Portland Sale on the 20th Salem auction on the 27th, do you think that is ENOUGH! Then I will go and help Keith Keppel dig for the sale. Rick Ernst (Cooleys) will be donating and as well as Schreieners...YIPPEE...

Denise

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Arrgggh! Don't tell me these things! I don't have any more room...unless I take up another chunk of grass, tee hee!

irislover
They make for a healthy club
Having those wonderful people chipping in like that .
Have fun and enjoy the stimulating company and fellowship .wish i was there ? .

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely plicata Wanda- Do you go shopping at Zebra Iris often?

I heard this is last year for Zebra , some one else will be introducing for Brad K.?
Any one heard who ?
I like his stuff also liked it when Alan Emnsinger stared the broken colors paterns,
way back when i still did not have wrinkles in my face.

No wrinkles? I would have more , but being chubby fills the wrinkles. Tazzy, you gotta EAT more, Girl!

Got that wonderful trade for a bunch of my historics--lord knows if you have ONE , you soon have a huge clump of those babies.

Brazen Beauty kind of got overwhelmed in the wrong flowerbed this year, but she's such a beauty that I moved her where there will be more breathing space.

Whoops. Brazen Beauty.

Did we mention Batik? Each of my blooms had a different streaking pattern. Quite stunning!

Chatterbox (intermediate) is not big, but I love the plicata markings on it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You've always got something up your sleeve. I so love your photos Wanda.

Panama Hattie
it has low bud count but like the markings

Thumbnail by tazzy

Tazzy--Panama Hattie? I killed that one once! :)

Stitch Witch is incredibly prolific--even for a dwarf. Great broken color!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Only iris people can say that they killed something and smile. :-)

Wanda only once ? Well practice makes perfect
My buy list reads ( IRIS I have not killed yet ?) I found that if i kill it twice it will not grow here ,
so I go to new victims LOL

Thumbnail by tazzy

LOL works for me!

Sad news Tazzy--I don't see any increase on "Tazzy baby" yet. Did she bloom out all her energy? Darn, I hope not! I've killed enough iris this year without adding your seedling.

that is a hard one to kill i thought it was dead and pulled up tag and it had wander over to where the one i was sending you was , It maybe a creeper
remember Orange Empire plant left of tree find next year right of tree .

Well, it's surrounded by other perennials--we'll see what happens. I'd hate to lose it!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Wanda, the irises you sent me all survived and some bloomed this year. However, for some reason, some of them are deeper than I planted them and the rhizomes are no longer visible. Should I lift them? If I do, will it inhibit blooming next year?

Your iris are burrowing into the ground? Tazzy has some that walk around trees. This is all getting VERY interesting...

Sometimes dirt blows into your bed or the iris "settle " lower in the ground. I like mine exposed--they seem to stay drier & healthy that way. If they were mine, I would dig under the whole clump, lift it & put 2-3 inches of soil under it in a mound. Put the iris back on top of the mound & cover and roots peeking out with dirt. I like the top of the rhizome to be exposed to the air.

me too ,
I berm mine up so i can mix with day lillies

Tazzy--great minds think alike! I spent today planting iris from you and Merlie.

You'll be proud of me--no GRASS WAS KILLED TODAY! I just moved around a couple of things, tossed out some extra Speedwell,Allium & Coreopsis, thinned down other plants & Voila! New iris spots without enlarging my gardens!

I also trimmed old iris leaves & daylily scapes in the back bed. Good thing I did--I found 6 different daylily proliferations! They're marked in water cups & waiting to grow roots.

I also noticed a nest high in one of my trees with baby Robins. So late in the season & they still had fuzz on their heads. No wonder the Mama Robin was scolding me as I worked below them. All mouth --3 little heads staring down at me.

fingers crossed for late winter .

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I think they did settle and perhaps some dirt blew on them. Can I take a fork and lift them a little without inhibiting next years blooms? Should they be fertilized one more time this year?

woodspirit--lift them & tuck some dirt under the clump. The less you disturb the roots, the better they will bloom next spring.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Just happened to be cruising around and noticed this thread. The best looking striped, splashed mottled etc. irises I've ever seen (at least in photos) aside from the gorgeous ones shown here were on eBay, I believe the store name was Zebra Iris Gardens.
They all had crazy safari based names like Bewilderbeast (as shown above), Iwana Iguana and Giraffe Kneehiz. I don't remember if the customers feedback was OK or not.
Take a look if you get a chance.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, the seller on Ebay is "zebrairis". That is actually the Kaspereks, who are the hybridizers of a lot of the broken colored iris. I've ordered from them for 3 years and have never been disappointed. You can buy from them off of Ebay, or use their website, which is www.zebrairis.com.

Or you can just get a good friend to send you a whole "herd" of the deliciouly marked Kasparek beasts--THANK YOU MERLIE! They are in and rooting on their little dirt mounds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.