New hillside garden

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

How lovely to revisit this thread. You have done so well with what you were given and have worked with it instead of letting it defeat you. Well done. I'm sure you'll be rewarded in years to come with your hard work.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

gosh- its been a while. was that last summer tammy? your hillside looks well established and very harmonious! i was just in philadelphia visiting my parents, and went to the philadelphia flower show- thought of you!-- everything was still under snow in their yard, though.. usually i see the snow drops, some crocuses. made it out to longwood gardens too, for a dose of conservatory extravagance..
hello to Todd and Galanthophile as well- i think i've been on about a year or more break from DG ... its good to see some familiar names!
Sarah
PS... have been reading Janis Ruksans "buried treasures" about his bulb hunting days-- wish I had met him when he was speaking in Mass. his collection of crocus and corydalis are something.. i'd love to order from his nursery... has anyone done that?

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtb3Jlc2VlZGFob2xpY3xneDo3OGM1YTY0NWUyM2QzYjBm
here is a picture spread of some of Janis Ruksans bulbs... not sure its going to work as a hyperlink.. if not, go to Elizabeth Zanders (interesting) site, where she lists the catalog, and the cover pictures! http://www.seed-aholic.com/2010/01/janis-ruksans-part-2.html

good night all... s.

somewhere, PA

We had him for two lectures a year or two ago. He
had wonderful photo's and lots of info.

That picture was from June last year. I do have one from
Sun - the crocus are starting. Such a welcome sight, though
we still have quite a bit of snow too.

Thumbnail by Tammy
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Tammy I'm so jealous! I'll be lucky to see my first crocus in the next 4 weeks. The temps here are always hovering just above the freezing mark so melting is exceptionally slow.

somewhere, PA

We've had a bit of a heat streak. Much of the snow melted. I have eranthus, galanthus
and today, iris reticulata in bloom. In addition to the first of the species crocus. They are all
a very welcome sight after such a white winter.

Tam

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

philadelphia seemed to be snow storm central this winter.... you all got more snow than we did in new hampshire. i think.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

At last spring is here. Been to a couple of open gardens and the snowdrops and crocus are in full bloom and even roses and trees are starting to shoot. At last! Narcissi are far behind but I think they are soon to catch up :)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Huggergirl has done a wonderful job dealing with hillsides and slopes. Check her pictures. Sometimes post on Upper Midwest gardening forum. She lives in Indiana. Her gardens are full of color.

somewhere, PA

How about an update 11yrs later!

Some sort of caterpillar ate the mugo pine needles a few years in a row and they finally died I cut out the dead wood and planted some new dwarf shrubs

Thumbnail by Tammy Thumbnail by Tammy Thumbnail by Tammy Thumbnail by Tammy Thumbnail by Tammy
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for sharing! I am in the beginning stages of planting a slope and it's encouraging to see how amazingly beautiful you have made yours. It is a complete transformation!

somewhere, PA

Thank you!

You'll have to share your before and in progress photos.

Plants that are appropriate for inclines are those with solid root foundations that can assist with forestalling disintegration. A few instances of plants that develop well on slants incorporate crawling juniper, crawling phlox, elaborate grasses, and a few kinds of ground cover plants like ivy, vinca, and crawling Jenny

I love the Astilbe and the Mungo Pine! Great ideas!. See more ideas about hillside garden, garden design, garden landscaping

Another famous choice is to porch segments of the incline inside your grass to make level establishing regions. Building a few levels on a sloping property will assist you with keeping away from disintegration and permit you to change it up of plants and finishing components for a practical and alluring plan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.