Does this plant need the pole to grow on?

Argyle, TX

Hello. I'm not sure what this plant is called, but I saw one in a nursery this weekend that was the very same size and growing alone in a pot. This particular plant is very slow growing and I just had thought that because of all those roots above dirt level, it needed something to hold on to. Thanks for any information.
Julie

Thumbnail by JulieSue
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Pretty Philo.
It looks a lot more like a self heading type and doesn't really need a pole, maybe something a little more like a stick to keep it from wobbling around.

MsC

Argyle, TX

Thanks for your help! I was able to look it up in the plant files now. What does self-heading mean? Maybe I'll untie it but leave the pole for now.
Julie

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Julie,

I think that self heading means the plant will branch out with out you having to pinch or prune. You have the Philodendron 'Prince of Orange'. I have 4 of the self-heading types, this one included. I've found that it grows a little faster than the Philo 'Autumn' and Philo 'Moonlight'.

Where did you find the moss pole? I need one for my Monstera Deliciosa!

GH

Argyle, TX

Those moss poles are hard to find. I didn't realize it until I decided I wanted one for this plant. Finally ran across them at a garden center in Southlake (not a major chain). You might do an internet search and see if you can find someone selling them. Or even ebay. Thanks for clarifying "self-heading".
Julie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That's a lovely philo!
:) Donna

Argyle, TX

Thank you! I did take the pole out and re-centered it in the pot. Hopefully it'll be alright. Ofcourse if I act too interested it'll die ;)
Julie

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Julie,

Your plant is a Philodendron of some kind. They are pretty hardy...just do not overwater them! Some climb--some do not. Ib do not think yours is a climber....

As far as moss-poles go, if you use one, remember to water down the moss-pole to keep it moist, or any climbing roots will not anchor themselves in it. YES! The poles have become hard to find, but you can make your own by rolling up chicken wire and filling it with Long Sphagnum Moss as you go. That should be available in any Garden centers.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Gitagal

Argyle, TX

Thanks for the info Gitagal.
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.