Southold Historical Society Garden Tour: July 9, 2005

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

LaLambChop: we both spend about four hours a day, now, on them - most of that is deadheading right now. I should go out for just four hours on the rose garden. The weeds have sprouted and the Japanese Beetles have really attacked the roses! I'd rather cut off every bud then to see the damage they do. They'll recover and be beautiful again. Thank you for joining the tour and for your "stunning" and appreciated words of praise.

maggiemoo - anytime you happen to be here in June or July just come on over! Our gardens really are always open to anyone who stops by to see them.

The posting of photos is like second nature to me now: LOL

Always happy to share our gardens and our plants with others.

sanannie - thank you so much!

GardenGuyKin: The welcome sign is always out so if you're ever out east come and visit. Most of the hard work, digging of gardens, brick path through the vegetable garden, removal of trees, is over now. We do it all ourselves: no hired help. We enjoy being outside, especially after this last winter with the endless snow covering!

Kneff: babies are such joys! Congratulations on your big October to come. Now, with computers and digitals you can be kept up to date on the grandchildren's progress.

My daughter lost her father on July 3rd and he never even knew she was pregnant because she didn't know then. It's been a month of highs and lows for her.

She and her husband gave us two of the nicest compliments we've ever had on our gardens. One time she said to me, "You garden in bouquets". Her DH, Tony, said to Kathy, when I was in earshot, "Do they ever DO anything else?"

It's a neighborhood of big parties, for all occasions, picnics, dinners, etc. We never give up a vacation for our gardens, just schedule them around the blooms and crops!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Pirl,
Good morning :-) You are probably out in your lovely garden by now .I don't blame you a bit.It is a piece of heaven you and your husband have created.

Thank you for posting the picture of the other Brigitte.Please tell her hello for me.I also used to teach german for almost 6 years,but I taught it to american US Army soldiers in Germany,from Private to General.

Then I want to extend Congratulations to you for having a new grandchild/grandchildren.You sound extremely happy about that :-)
Our daughter-in-law is due on the 14th august..grandchild # 8.We are all looking forward to it.Since the humidity has been terribly in this part of country as well we both have been working on a quilt.Amelia on a baby quilt and I am working on a 41st wedding anniversary quilt for myself..hahaha

Happy gardening,
Brigitte

Brigitte - I'll even print out this page for the Brigitte at the nursery and she'll be thrilled and excited over it when I give it to her.

She taught for over 20 years in the Mattituck school and took the students to Germany to live for two weeks in other students homes. Then she had those students come to America to live and go to school. She was awarded a medal by the Mayor of Berlin for her outstanding work and received awards here. It was pure joy to meet her and I was thrilled she could get the day off to come join our tour.

I'll tell her about you first, and then give her a copy of this thread.
Thanks for writing, Brigitte, and sharing your story, too!

I promised Mitch, 75154, that I'd post photos of the compost bins.

These are the first three that Jack built in '92.

Thumbnail by pirl

Then the last three that he built about six years ago. The black bags are filled with grass to be mixed with the household waste, leaves, etc. The pile at the right is for "chipping days".

Thumbnail by pirl

This is the first of the old bins and it was empty when we started our deadheading. There are a few heads of bolted lettuce and the weeds Jack removed from the asparagus garden but the rest is just deadheads! So far we've taken 14,682 deadheads since July 7th. Our biggest day, biggest backaches, was 1,614 on the 17th, which means the "Peak Bloom Day" was July 16th.

Thumbnail by pirl
Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

pirl --

Thanks for the heads up about your garden tour. It is a Tour de Force! What an inspiration!

Sue

A "Tour de Force"! Wow! Thanks, soozer. What a terrific compliment!

Aside from printing out this entire thread to keep with our souveniers, as I really doubt if we'll be able to do another tour at our ages in seven years from now, I have to make a list of some of these soul satisfying compliments! I'm so impressed that so many of you have such great things to say and express your thoughts so well. I'm really touched by it all! You're all welcome to visit if you ever come out this way.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well Miss Arlene... I'd say the original PIRL from Albemarle did good by you!

Enchanting gardens... loved every stroll!

Oh Darius: thanks for the PIRL reference. She was my gardening angel before they ever became popular. When my husband first met her he said she was straight out of "Gone With the Wind". She never lost her sweet southern accent or her youthful giggle. She really was the real PIRL and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm just an imitation.

A few of our hybrids.

Thumbnail by pirl

All squished in: I told you we're tight on space!!!

Thumbnail by pirl

A group of pinks - Dancing Shiva was the mother.

Thumbnail by pirl

A bright light!

Thumbnail by pirl

Wide eyed! Malaysian Monarch was a parent.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning Grandma :) Purty flowers ya got there.

Me

Could be one we named 'Angel's Landing' for Zion's famous one where my daughter was married. Please understand we name the plants in our garden for our own pleasure and have not registered any with AHS.

Edited to say it definitely is our 'Angel's Landing'.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2005 9:52 AM

Thumbnail by pirl

'Group Hug'

Thumbnail by pirl

The mother of the group closest to the vegetable garden gate is 'Chamonix'. It's very similar to the mother and quite a delight.

Thumbnail by pirl
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Beautiful seedlings, Arlene! Especially the last one. Awesome!

NancyAnn

Surprise! Who could have expected it from a yellow mother and an almost white father?

Thumbnail by pirl

I like this soft color.

Thumbnail by pirl

'Especially Precious' - named by request for a sweet friend, Kathy, from St. Louis.

Thumbnail by pirl

Looking for escape?

Thumbnail by pirl

Hangin' out.

Thumbnail by pirl

Great with a friend...........

Thumbnail by pirl

and great by itself!

Thumbnail by pirl

Good morning to you, too!

Thumbnail by pirl

In the early morning light at the dogwood.

Thumbnail by pirl

Close up!

Thumbnail by pirl

Two for tea: Kaleem and Samina, his wife!

Thumbnail by pirl

All alone.

Thumbnail by pirl

Time for a coffee break!

Thumbnail by pirl
Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

You more than deserve it, pirl!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Wow again !
Dancing Shiva has wonderful kids! I'm going crazy trying to keep up with all your gardens AND work on my own...Now I need to go out and try to hybridize! (not really, I have a lot to learn (and buy) before I start my own experiments.)
But I think I like best the yellow+white=ruflled rose with gold throat! nothing I ever learned in art school!!
Angel's Landing would be a perfect name for that DL. What heirlooms for your grandkidS (!)
I bought :
DL Renee for my (now 14 year old) daughter
DL Rose Emily for my now 18 year old (although the name Emily has become popular so she will probably have a whole garden of namesakes!!)
Siberian Iris Steve for my son Stephen.

I figured if anything happened to me they'd have their namesakes as legacy. I also worried they might resent my gardens since I spent so much time in them! But they like "their" flowers.

Wouldn't it be fun to have your family tree and life events commemorated by daylilies?
PIRL and the stories connected to it are a wonderful start.

If you register some, we need a guidebook of the related stories to keep on our coffeetables!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Daylilies .................and all are so beautiful ....pretty colors . How you have collected all the species? And when did you start collecting daylilies?
Kaleem

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.