Cannas in South Florida, anyone?

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, here I am, a fairly new gardner, and have just discovered Cannas! I saw these magnificent plants in big pots about 5' tall at Wal-Mart with the most beautiful varigated foliage. Some had blooms, but the leaves were what really caught my attention. I do my shopping in one of their electric buggies and I quickly found out that three of those plants do NOT fit in that basket with groceries, so I had to leave them. *sigh* They were 11.99 a pot.

Anyway......my question (finally) is: does any one in S FL grow Cannas and are they are difficult to raise? I want to plant them in containers along my fence line. It gets full sunshine all year. Will they grow in the winter here? I'm going to plant Plumerias down that fence line and I thought that when they lose their leaves in winter, the Cannas would provide leaf color.

Anyway....I found a website that sold them and almost had a heart attack at the price for one bulb!! $14.00 to $18.00!!!! http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

I really need to have some good info before I buy one.....or two....or you know how it goes.
Pati

This message was edited Jul 11, 2005 12:13 PM

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

try ebay

Thanks rose.
Pati

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Which one are you talking about? Tropicanna?the red striped with orange flowers? As for if cannas will overwinter in the pots there..if plumerias can stay out all year so can the cannasPlumerias can take NO frost of any kind..cannas can take a light frost and regrow quickly.

:-)

Thanks Eclipse. The ones I wanted were Bengal Tiger and Stuttgart. If they take the same winter as Plumerias I think they will be O.K.
Pati

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It is probably too late in the year, but Horns Canna carries them and you can pick them up for a couple bucks or less. You could also wait until fall for us cold weather people and get some from us. We have to dig them up. I believe MollyMc is in the same zone as you and I am sure they do fine for her outside all year long. I don't believe she grows them in pots though.

Thanks so much for your info. I would be HAPPY to pay postage for any that you cold weather people have to share! I don't have anything to trade, unless you want Coleus and Impatiens in December. *grin*
Pati

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

They do well here in St. Pete. Multiply like crazy.
Jan...

Thanks Budgie, our weather is pretty much like yours.
Pati

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Pati,
I have GOBS of Cannas. I'm in 8aTX Zone, so they will do as well or better in your zone. Why in containers?
They are very happy in the ground.

I'll be more than happy to send you anything I have for postage only. LMK if you are interested and I'll send you my list.

Emma

This message was edited Jul 14, 2005 5:10 PM

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Pati,

I didn't know Ft Pierce is in Zone 10, but that's only about an hour and a half north of here. The cannas will do just fine for you.

I think I told you 3 callon containers would be better than 1 gallon. I have one I am sending that you probly should us a 5 gallon, because it will grow taller and will need the heavier bottom to keep it upright. Also, if you bunch the containers of cannas in a round area together, like within a circle, put the tallest one in the center and surround it with the shorter ones.

I dug cannas last night and they are in a bucket of water today. I will try to mark them as best I can. I am also cutting off the foliage so they will fit in a reasonable sized box. But no worry, they are coming into their own and putting on a lot of growth.

In an hour or so, I'll have them packed and on their way to the post office. You should have them by Saturday so get ready to get outside and sweat. :^))))

Molly

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Molly:

Do you have any problems with the canna leaf roller? My friend talked me out of trying them a few years ago when his cannas were attacked by leaf rollers.

Yes Delecie, and I was hoping you wouldn't mention that where Pati could hear you. I was going to break it to her gently. :^)))

Pati, there will be no leaf rollers on these cannas. And I think the great thing about growing them in containers, 1. You contain the rhizomes from spreading and 2. You can treat the containers with Bayers systemic tree and shrub juice. No worry of getting the insecticide on other plant matters.

Delecie, you garden in containers, don't you? And not all cannas get leaf rollers, don't know why they like me. I have some customers and even a private plant seller here who don't treat their cannas and they look great.

Molly
:^)))

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

:-) Molly:

I garden mostly in the ground but I do have a few plants in containers, especially plants that I haven't put into the ground yet! LOL However, I'm trying to limit the amount of plants that I have in containers because moving the container plants caused me a lot of grief during the 2004 hurricane season.

Molly,
What kind of damage do the leaf rollers do. Some of my cannas have big pieces chewed out but I haven't been able to see any critters on any of them. I do have a few lubbers that escaped my wratth in the spring that I am still trying to do in.
Not all of my cannas have been attacked.
Jan.

Jan,

The culprit is a little on the blurry side, but this photo shows who did it and what he did. After they finish eating, they somehow roll the leaf over on themselves and make a little caccoon in there. When I see that, I just pinch the folded leaf and watch out for over spray.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Shoot! It sure looks like my leaves. Guess I got to do some roller stomping now that I'm about done doing the Lubber stomp. Maybe we can start a new craze!!!!!!
Jan...

Pati,

Yours are on their way now. Probly get there by Sat. No leaf rollers included though. I tagged the ones I knew who they were, the others, when they bloom, post photos and I'll see about names.

Enjoy!

Molly

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Yikes, Molly!

I'm new with cannas since this spring (planted some from Feb. FL Roundup) and am glad those critters have not found my lovely salmon colored cannas (a few in the ground and a few in containers).

Thanks for the photo, even if the roller critter is blurry!

Sue

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Patishell -- Just came in on this ! As you can see I live in Pembroke Pines and they have cannas growing around our mall roadway. Right on Pines blvd on the side of the road and it amazes me how tolerant they are to water as they are in a low lying area and after heavy rains the water stands there for a day or even two with no harmful effects to the beautiful red cannas. I always admire them when they are in bloom. My town is big on landscaping....

Tplant,
Most cannas are water lovers and some are even used in ponds and bogs.
Jan...

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Now Cannas I know nadda but TOMATOS ahhhaaaa ! But they sure are pretty.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i had cannas in containers in my yard in the keys. they did very well. i watered and fed them alot. i wonder did you get yours in the mail? i just realized you havent responded to your thread in awhile. im pretty new here, but that doesnt seem like you. concerned. debi

I just got back online.....again!!! I don't understand it at all, but ir was the wireless connection, somethingabout a "router". We had power problems also, and I couldn't use my daughter's computer at her house because her DH spilled a cup of coffee into her new laptop! I've just lived through the most bizarre string of events ever! The only bright spot was the arrival of the Cannas from Molly! Today they are going into their new pots with new soil! Let the growth begin!! *smile*
Pati

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

good to hear youre alive and well! you had a lot of concerned people worried about you!!! good luck with the cannas. im going to try them here in umatilla, leaf rollers be d----d! debi

Thanks tracky, I had to go to Mapquest to find Umatilla. Pretty country up there! I'm really looking forward to seeing these Cannas grow. I guess you're never too old to discover a new plant to love. LOL
Pati

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

My Cannas grow and thrive wonderfully here in Lecanto, Fl. Next to Inverness and Crystal River.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 4:51 PM

grnthmbr, I am learning more and more towns in Florida since we have this forum! I GOOGLED Lecanto too. Isn't MapQuest a wonderful thing! Thanks for the encouragement with the Cannas.
Pati

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have cannas in mostly shade that grow and bloom, but don't spread much. One is the tall, red variety, "The President" and another is "King Humbert." I got the named varieties from one of the bulb company catalogs.

I moved some to an area with more sun and they have spread like crazy, grew very tall, and bloomed profusely all summer. This same area is where my gingers are planted, so the cannas also get a lot more water in this area than in the shady spot.

I have some of the dwarf cannas in a mostly sunny location. They seem to be better behaved about not spreading so much and only reach about 18 inches high.

Here's a photo of one of my canna varieties that is either a native or has escaped into the wild and acclimated to our climate. It can be frequently found along ditch lines in NE Florida. I see several named varities of similar orange/yellow coloration in the Plant Files, but I'm not sure this one has a cultivar name.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Oo, Oo, Pati,

I think one of the solid green ones is King Humbert. The one with multiple shoots? that I didn't have a name on? That would be the one with the orange/yellow variegated flowers. Very pretty.

See, given a little time, these things come to me.

Reminds me of Cleo.
Jan...

Hi all Canna lovers! I really have the Canna fever bad. LOL The ones I received from MollyMc and SH1025 (thanks again) are doing fine, I think. I have never seen a Canna grow and I was looking for new shoots and finally decided the rolled up thingy thing coming out of the top were new leaves when one unrolled and VOILA! a new leaf. DUUH, no snickering from y'all now.

Being a good mother and a soft touch, I had to share with my DD. Her's went in the ground, so I'm waiting on a report from her. Mine will go in the ground eventually. Now I'm on a mission to find a Tropicana and a Pink Sunburst. If anyone has these to share for postage (nothing to trade), or know where a good place to buy, I would appreciate your info.

Actually, any varigated leaf would be wonderful. I still want a Stuttgart, but they are just TOO pricey.
Pati

Maybe cannas are what should go into the long empty patch along the street. It is mulched but so empty looking. Was thinking of daylilies...but canna foliage would provide more screening from passing cars. Can't do anything too tall, overhead utilities and some underground nearby. Good thing cannas only need 4 inches or so of depth to get going. :) Any suggestions?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes the ppretty coral, lime green and burgandy striped ones are just beautiful. They are very "Florida".
sidney

Haven't really had enough experience with cannas, yet. Does the one you describe have a photo to check out, Sidney?

Sue

Pati knows the name of the pretty ones and how many she can get in her cart. Here is one picture http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1671855
and here's another http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1670938 . Both with Brugs, but good canna pictures too.
sidney

That foliage is wonderful! (Your brug leaf...my jaw dropped! lol)

Not mine, those were krnysgirls and Datdogs. I don't have any Cannas but love this folage.
sidney

Well thanks for finding the links to a couple great canna photos! :)

Glad to do it.
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.