What Palms Are You Growing?

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm growing:

Livistona chinensis (Chinese Fan Palm)
Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (Bottle Palm)
Ptychosperma elegans
Dypsis cabadae

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a Chinese windmill palm, two huge old pindo palms, three pony tail palms, and two baby sagos (not really palms) that I started from seed.

Here's the windmill palm. It was a housewarming gift two years ago.

Thumbnail by Dogzilla
Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know what the silver triangular palm is called but I got seeds from the neighbor and about 20 have sprouted. I also have about 30 foxtail palm seedlings (thanks to a co-worker of my hubby's). Someday I'll line the driveway with them.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I have one that I can't think of the name offhand and 2 reclinatas and a bunch of recliniata seedlings I started just for fun.
Jan...

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I currently have 38 species and no immediate plans to type them all out!!
Mostly typical palm show finds like Thrinax, Coccothrinax, Licualas, Veitchias, Ptychospermas, Caryotas and the oddballs like Normanbyas and Verschaffeltias.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Since you have 38 species Cearbhaill, could you post photographs of some of them?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have Chinese Fan Palm, Royal, Queen, and Rhapsis (if that is actually a palm -- I don't know). I get lots of seedlings from a nearby tree in another yard, but I don't know enough about palms to identify the mother of the seedlings.

I will probably lose the Royal and Queen palms if we have one of our winters with temps down into the teens, which happens about once a decade or so here, but they are nice while they last.

Jeremy

Indiantown, FL

I have quite a few different palms but no where near 38. The people that we brought this house from had them planted all over the yard in no certain fashion. I have had to move them and give them away to get some kind of order into the yard. I think they must have had the idea of growing them for the ag write off, because they were planted right in the middle of the yard in a haphazard kind of way.
Palm trees are very heavy even the small ones, I had to take advantage of my teenage son last year before he turned 18, he transplanted quite a few palms and dug me 2 50ft flower beds. Of course I paid him but no amount of money could get him to do it now that he has a real job and is all grown up!!!
The things we women do to get the job done!! LOL!!

Connie

I hear you Connie,
I have a 17 yr old that I have to threaten to take away all his electronic toys if he doesn't help with the heavy stuff. My 2 reclinata palms are taking over my front yard and I can't even give them away so anyone so I may have to take the chain saw to at least one of them.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

We have three very large Queen palms that were here when we moved in. If I had a choice that would be the last one I would choose to plant. Although they are lovely, they are the messiest trees! I also have two Palmetto palms next to my patio that support my Passion vine all the way to the top and growns wild ferns all the way up the trunk. All the other trees are Oaks.
Pati

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Some of my specimens are pictured here-
http://www.cearbhaill.com/palms.htm

Keep in mind that many of mine are juveniles in pots or hidden in the understory- there's certainly not a row of 38 twenty footers!

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Mostly Queen palms here. I've been growing them from the little ones that pop up under mature Queens. Last hurricane season one of the daily newspapers did s piece on palms and it said Queens are the likliest of any palm to go down in high winds....SO...am looking for alternatives. Maybe one of your chainsaw massacre relinata victims, budgielover? Have a couple of pygmy palms that were here when we moved in 21 years ago. And I think Palmbob's many photos set me straight on the Majesty Palm I've apparently been growing for years, having misidentified it earlier. And the ever-present palmetto palms.

Sue

Soozer,
I have plenty of seedlings you're welcome to but it will be years before they amount to anything. If you have a back hoe or lots of friends with good bags, you're welcome to the mature one(s). It can withstand just about anything short of a nuclear attack.
Jan...

Jan --
Darn...my backhoe's out for repairs (grin) but maybe I could get hubby interested in a drive to Pinellas Park this month. He would provide the labor and we (you and me) would provide directions. It could work!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I believe they call this a Sable palm. Another plant that was here when we moved in. Seems to be a lot "happier" since we've given it a little TLC. I'd like to move it to a better location. My neighbor said he never had any luck trying to move one. I'll leave it where it's at before I'll take a chance on killing it. Any suggestions?
Tim.

Thumbnail by Tim55

Hey Sue,
Sounds good to me. I'll supply the sunscreen. I have a teenager I could bribe. It does need to go one of these days but I just hate to destroy something so pretty.
Jan...

Tim -
Summer is the best time to transplant (most...all?) palms. We moved some to our place from a neighbor's a couple winters ago because it was convenient for him...not for the palms and many bit the sand. Your sable looks small enough to move and get the roots...a good sharp shovel...eh, Jan? Wouldn't even need a backhoe...

Sue

You could probably get away with a chain and BIG pickup.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1149596&uid=655234&members=1

Jan --

Mentioned your palm trees to hubby last night and tried to get a neighbor interested, too. Have to count the neighbor out. Will mention the palms again so that maybe one of the next couple weekends would work out. He needs time...

Thanks,
Sue

I'm trying to get up the energy to give them another haircut.
I like to keep them trimmed where you can see the trunks but right now they look like huge bushes;-)
Jan

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hi guys, we just moved to central florida from the keys. i had bottle, spindle, triangle, bamboo, thrinax, wild date, washingtonian, majesty, foxtail, alexander, queen and of course, coconut. probubly some im forgetting. anyway, we are starting with a clean slate here. plenty of room to work with. i told my DH the other day (in fun) "i could just kick that old woman (she built the house 22 yrs. ago) for not being a gardner. she never planted one measly tree!!!" it's kind of fun tho, to figure out what to plant and where. i wasnt even going to plant any palms, but i've been outvoted or overridden i guess. he wants queens, but im leaning towards a pindo. the front yard faces nw, so no protection from sun or cold winds. i dont want to put something in that will die and i dont want to plant a baby-heck, i could be 70 before they get over the top of the house. any thoughts on pindos? debi ps. is it ever gonna stop raining? i love the rain, but my plants are all still in pots and they are doing the sidestroke!

Hey,
I've still got an extra 15 yr old reclinata available if you wanna dig & haul it!
Jan...

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

maybe in my next incarnation! i just laid a new garden walkway, big stones, river rock-took me 3 days and i think i'm gonna die. but she looks beeyouteefull! debi

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

All I have is coontie and sagos!

Chris

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Botanyguy: Neither of which is actually a palm! Both are cycads!

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

I've got a few Queen Palms, a couple of Pygmy Date Palms, a Majesty Palm, a Sago that has lots of pups and my latest endeavor... a Coconut Palm. I love coconuts and anything with them so I was thrilled when my local Wal-Mart had a few. I got one instantly! It is only a couple of feet tall now, but I sure hope it does ok. At least one nut, and not the one on my shoulders. ;)

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

I have Date Palms, Triangle Palms, and Dragon Tree Palms(Dracos) Pic is of my Dracos

JIM

Thumbnail by grnthmbr
Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

Pic of my Triangle Palms from Canary Islands

JIM

Thumbnail by grnthmbr
Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

OK..... getting technical on me... I have pigmy date palm now....
I feel like part of the club now.. hehe

I still have some giant reclinatas needing a new home.LOL.

Longboat Key, FL

Has anyone had luck sticking a coconut into the sand -- and getting a palm?

This message was edited Sep 1, 2005 8:44 AM

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

I have several palms a Bottle Palm, Two Royal Palms, Areca Palms, Licula Grandis (in a 7 gallon pot), Five Spindle Palm seedlings, Pygmy Date Palm, Joey Palm (Johannesteijsmannia altifrons) seedling plus 4 other sprouted seeds yet to push up through soil, a small Foxtail Palm and a Aiphanes Caryotifolia Palm (full of thorns).

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a large Canary Island Date palm that is the centerpiece of my front yard. I also have 5 Queen palms, a double pigmy date palm, a foxtail palm, a Bismark palm, a large double Washingtonian palm, a Ribbon palm, a Paurotis palm, a True Date (Dactylifera) palm, and a Bangalow (Archontophoenix cunninghamiana) palm. I'd love to have a Bottle palm but it is pretty chancy this far north in Zone 9B.

Longboat Key, FL

Watch the Canary Palm. We lost a gorgeous one -- so did our neighbor. Some virus -- or disease -- just killed it from the top. It just browned out -- and died.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I know the Canary can be invaded by the palmetto weevil, which eats the bud heart and thus kills the tree. If it is a disease, it could have been phytophthora bud rot or ganoderma. Lethal yellowing hasn't been a problem in the Tampa area. Big canaries are very expensive so that must have been quite a financial hit for you.

Longboat Key, FL

S'funny. A couple of our neighbors lost their's, too. I had an "expert" by who stated that it was a "deficiency." So I bought manganese and some other junk -- but it just died.

At least nobody bothers to stick notes on my door, wanting to pay about $2000 for the palm -- and plant a smaller one.

This is what the crown looked like, five months before it all browned out and died.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't see anything wrong with it from the photo. It I had a nickle, I'd put it on the palmetto weeval.

Longboat Key, FL

hawk~

We sprayed the crown several times. Who knows.

We have a gorgeous Royal Palm right next to it -- which is fine. The Canary had a full, drooping crown before it took sick.

(The Royal is between two houses, so the bottom is cut off in the photo)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm growing:
European fan palm
Dwarf pygmy date palm
Sago palm
Majesty palm
And my absolute all time favorite plant, the Bismarck palm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.