Even More Midwestern Lilies

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Got Lilies? Post 'em here!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

To continue my question from part 1 (http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/522460/#new)

How do you stake lilies that are over 6' tall? Some of my trumpets can get to be 7' to 9' and a good wind will snap the stalk right off if it is full of blooms.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

That's easy if you have an old telephone or light pole in your yard like we do! Or you could make a circular "cage" of woven fence wire about 8 ft tall and attach it to two metal fence posts driven into the ground....Or plant on a trellis by the house...Or around an old dead tree...You would think that with all of these possibilities, my tall lilies would not be sprawling all over the ground, wouldn't you? I'm off to stake them up - thanks for reminding me!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Personally, I'd go to the hardware store or lumber yard and see what they have. I'd probably go for rebar, maybe conduit? How about old fishing poles ~ flexible and already have tie loops.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I just lost one of my trumpet lilies to the wind today, snapped it right off.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I think rebar would probably be the best bet. I have 8 clumps of different trumpet lilies in different beds; I think 8' tall cages scattered around the yard might get the neighbors talking. Again. LOL

It just occurred to me that even if I had tall enough stakes I wouldn't be able to reach high enough to tie the stems to the top of the stakes. I guess I would have to use a stepladder. :^{

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's really a bummer. I do know how you feel tho, I had a bunny chop off a stalk the size of a dime and it was just about to bloom.

Somebody posted an unknown bloom like this, but I can't seen to find it. Know what this might be? It came from the bloomingbulb coop but I can't find anything on their site.

It's smells like an Oriental, 3 ft. tall, out to down facing blooms with a few raspberry specks.

Thumbnail by Moby
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Have you read this thread? It is for people who received the wrong bulbs or had bulbs that never came up from the Bloomingbulb co-op.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/523582/

You can Dmail bulb005 (Steve from Bloomingbulb) and show him your picture; he might be able to id it. It is very pretty, whatever it is.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Rebar does work well because you can pound it a long way into the ground without hurting it. I just tie mine up as far as I can reach and that seems to give them enough support. My tallest one, the American Dreams has such a strong stem that I don't even have a stalk on it. Of course, guess it could be a goner if the winds were really strong.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, I have kept up with the thread. I received these bulbs in a trade, so I don't know if it's my place to make a 'claim'. But thanks for the Dmail, I'll drop a line.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's one of mine..no name, just a beautiful yellow one.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Granite City, IL

Here is a trumpet Bright Star

I couldn't get a good picture, but it is way cool

Thumbnail by puddleofmudd
Granite City, IL

Golden Stargazer- planted last year and it is very short this year

Thumbnail by puddleofmudd
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Not sure what this one is but it has nice colors

Thumbnail by hemlady
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Bright Star is beautiful. I googled it and it was listed in the Trumpet/Aurelian category but called an Aurelian. What is an Aurelian?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

All my lilies so far are short & hidden by daylilies/peonies. Not a good year for them in my garden.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Love Bright Star! I'm wonder if this could be a Golden Star Gazer. I know I planted one last year. This one is one I forgot to label. Does it look like yours puddleofmudd?

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Angie ~ I really like your Bright Star. Rich color.

NoH2O ~ here is info on different types of lilies http://www.bdlilies.com/lily-bulbs-orientals.html

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Moby. The bulb on that link was huge! I still don't understand the difference between trumpet and Aurelians but as long as they lookd good and smell nice, I don't care. LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's about the way I see it. :)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Kiss me Kate--one bloom from 4 bulbs. I guess I should feel lucky.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I hope you lilies make up for this bad year by blooming extra nice for you next year Wand! This is one I bought as Lady Alice. Does not look exactly like the photos I have found of Lady Alice, but I sure like it anyway!

Susan

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Lincolnitess, The orange lily looks like it has L. henryi in its background....very nice.
I really like the soft yellow one....looks oriental - does it have fragrance?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The soft yellow one is frag. I think it is an orientpet or an LA. Maybe I will find it's marker someday.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pookie finally made an appearance today. Yea!

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And Purple Sensation

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How about up close and personal with Macarena?

Thumbnail by Moby
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Lovely, lovely and lovely! How tall is Pookie?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Moby, Pookie is beautiful! Your Purple Sensation looks rather pink, is it? I planted mine so late, it is not even out of the ground yet, but I want purple not pink.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pookie is about like Stargazer, 3-4 ft. and same size blooms. And yes, Purple Sensation is very, very pink. >:p

I think I'll check and see if this is accurate. Susan, where did you get yours?

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Hemlady.. yours are infected with TBV (tulip breaking virus). Take a good look at the flowers again. If you have other lilies in the yard, I would pull and destroy this one.
Kenneth

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Kenneth, I just read your note to hemlady. Is that what is wrong with this lily of mine? They looked fine for a few days and then started getting these spots of darker color. The foliage looks healthy. Do they need to go?
Thanks!

Susan

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Lincolnitess and Hemlady, where did you get your lilies with TBV?

Kenneth, I have never heard of TBV before. Can you give us some information about it? Thanks.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

MIne came from a friend a few years ago. I can't remember if this is the first year they got the blotches, but I don't think so.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's a lily I received as a free bonus last year. It was just marked Pink Oriental.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Very pretty! Where did it come from?

Here is Le Reve

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And my first Stargazer of the year ~

Thumbnail by Moby

TBV is tulip breaking virus.. it spreads via aphids. It is a virus which the bulb can not be cured from. Once it is in a bulb, you should dig and discard. If you just bought the bulb and it bloomed with TBV, inform the vendor and they should replace it free of charge.

TBV manifest itself through mottled foliage and/or breaking on flowers (as these pictures have shown).

Below is a picture of one of my lilies with (cucumber) mosiac virus.

(you can see the healthy lily behind the diseased with the mottled foliage)

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen

Here is another picture of a lily with tulip breaking virus (TBV) provided to me by another gardener (used with permission)

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen

Alice (lincolnitess) .. your Lady Alice lily look a lot like Henryi. Any chance it could be that one ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.