Even More Midwestern Lilies

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think maybe you are right about the Lady Alice being Henryi. Seems to match that photo better than Lady Alice. It is all orange with no white. Much smaller than my White Henryi. Here is a back view. Color not too accurate in this photo. Jung mixed up a couple other lilies I ordered last fall too.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the information, Kenneth. Some of the color patterns in the infected lilies are actually kind of pretty.

Granite City, IL

Susan it sure looks a lot like mine, so if you didn't plant any other yellow, that is probaly it.

Angie

Granite City, IL

Here is Yelloween blooming this week. I planted in the spring! The yellow is just so pretty!

Thumbnail by puddleofmudd
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Black Jack
What BIG pollen thingies it has ?
sure can get some unique shots,
by shooting up from ground ?

Thumbnail by tazzy

This is so weird had to post two
Black Jack' taken while flat on my back.

Thumbnail by tazzy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Tazzy, your lily is very pretty, but I don't think it is Black Jack. Looks more like an oriental. Maybe Stargzer? Do your neighbors ever worry when they see you lying on the ground?
LOL! Mine are used to me.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nooo.....not Stargazer either, it doesn't have such pendulous blooms. I'll work on it when I'm not so road weary.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Road weary? Where ya been?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How about Liium specioum Uchida?

http://www.bdlilies.com/l8018.html

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Looks more like Sarabande or Leslie Woodriff or Black Beauty (on The Lily Garden website)
Sarabande gets my first vote with the greenish center....what do you think?

i bought black jack and black beauty but not others . nothing is named right and i used metal tag / sniff
My neighbor gave up on me years ago ? i live a block from police station they do a lot of drive by,s to see if i am up a tree or something weird ? LOL

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Probably black beauty then...take a look and see what you think. They only show one view that is a little different than yours so I couldn't tell for sure...
up a tree? hmmm ;)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have Black Beauty. It has not bloomed yet for me. Last year the blooms were small. About 3". How big are your blooms Tazzy?

Susan

3" smallest one I have had bloom
Even the spicies one was a little bigger

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody--I'm late finding this (3 part) thread of beautiful lily pics and good information! I will spend hours looking at it tonight while it's raining...better than a Lily Encyclopedia Book!

NoH20--you must have a beautiful lily garden up there in Columbus--your post storm bouquet is lovely--if you can grow lilies, I guess I can give them a try, too. Our weather must be similar...

Thanks for posting all of the photos, everybody,--just beautiful!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Tazzy, I bet that is Blck Beauty then. From your photo, it looked much larger, so I was trying to think of big ones. My Black Beauty does not have a whole lot more buds this year then it's first year. seems to be a little slow to get started for me, but it is pretty with tthat gren center..

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Tazzy, my Black Beauty opened today. I could not get a very good photo, but the throat is very bright green. Guess what? This year it is more like 5" instead of 3" like it was the first year. Also it seems to be less recurved. I will try to get a better pnoto tomorrow.

Susan

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Brenda L. this one is for you.

First Lady Asiatic 2005

Compare mine to yours and let me know, OK?

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

unknown lilly about 8 inches tall ,
some kind a tropical i think ?
lost tag.
Looks like baby( unclad lady lilly ) LOL

Thumbnail by tazzy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

nekkid baby?

sounds about right ?

another pic of NB Lilly
there a Lilly that stars with Z ? brain on hibernation

Thumbnail by tazzy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Zephyranthes ~ Rain Lily, Fairy Lily, Zephyr Lily?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

This is American Dream. It is rather pale looking so I think I have it in too much shade. It is in the same bed with Boogie Woogie which is also getting too much shade. I guess I will be doing some lily moving this fall. LOL

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is American Spirit in the same bed. I should probably move it into more sun too. I had wanted something tall and sturdy for the back of this north facing bed. The lilys are doing fine without staking despite the lack of direct sun but the blooms are washed-out looking.

Thumbnail by NoH2O

Hi, NoH2O,

Yours are pretty lilies, even if you think they are too pale... you seem to have quite a lily garden blooming now and it must be lovely around your place!

I am hoping to plant some lilies this fall and asked for advice on purchasing some to grow in another thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/529559/ but no one has answered me! Any thoughts?

We had a nice rain this a.m. and I think it's heading your way. Hope it doesn't get your beauties water logged! Happy gardening. t.

my only lilies yet this summer...

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 10:08 AM

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Dizzy might have bloomed more effectively in the garden, but I broke her off when weeding. Anyway, here's her pic...

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looks like she did really well for you Wanda.

Nice lilies, tabasco. Be sure to cut a bloom to enjoy the fragrance in the house. :)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

This one is marked Stargazer. Who knows these days?

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Brush Mark
its blooming but its looks like its in trouble?
leaves are turning brown .

Thumbnail by tazzy
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

wanda sure are pretty.. all of them are.. brush mark is a beauty

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Tazzy ~ do you have something to treat Botyrtis? Like copper solution? Are the leaves turning brown from the bottom up?

I don't think the bloom looks troublesome. I had a LA do that earlier this year but the rest of the blooms were fine.

the only chemicals i have are for me ! LOL
garden is all natural .I have two sections alive and dead

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Tabasco, do you have a deer problem? I don't but it seems to me that I frequently read about deer eating the buds off lilies. That would drive me crazy!! If you have a lot of deer I suggest you post a question about it in the lily forum asking people how they deal with it. I would hate to have you invest time and money in lilies if you won't get to see them bloom. There may also be types of lilies that the deer leave alone.

Once you have found out if you can grow them despite the deer I will tell you what little I know about them. I am no expert by any means. I just buy what I like and see how it does. LOL I do know there are some types that need full sun and others that need shade. If you can figure out where you want to plant them (sun, shade, wet, dry, woodsy, formal, etc.) I can tell you what I have had success with or steer you on to others. Moby and kdjoergensen seem very knowledgable.

I do hope it will be possible for you to grow lilies in spite of your critters - they are so elegant and add so much.

As far as the rain goes - nada (or should I say noh2o?). As you know, the remains of Dennis have been hanging around Ohio all week. Some parts of Columbus have had downpours. We have only had one tenth of an inch of rain all week and we need more badly. :^{

NoH2O, thanks for the caution about the deer...I was wondering about that but thought I would take a chance, since they seem to be leaving my Stargazers alone (but going after my red daylilies) mmm... The daylily garden center recommended some Deer Scram and a couple different potions that I will try if I need to.

The deer problem has been abated since they had a 'controlled shoot' in our woods last winter. Made me sad, but it took care of the herds of deer standing in our street. Now only a few stop by for their breakfast buffet... :-)

Thanks for all the good info on lilies, everyone. I am going to create a new garden for them with just the right drainage, sun, etc. I think. They are the royalty of the garden and a shame not to try to grow!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is Mr Rudd, a dwarf Oriental I dug out of the trash at Shopco last year. It is very short. Maybe 12". I laid down to take this photo

Susan

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 10:18 AM

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Way to go, Susan! Saving it from the trash........it's beautiful....well worth being saved! :-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Black Beauty has a wonderful green throat!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! My lilies are all done. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.