Show off your Salvias

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

As one of the most varied and widely distributed perennial plants, Salvias find their way into many gardens and even more hearts. Show please share your pictures of these wonderful, colorful plants with the rest of the forum. Experts please share your knowledge, everyone please share stories of your favorites.

best to all,

Pic is Salvia gesneraeflora

Thumbnail by drdon
Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Oooo! Let's see what I've got pics of. . .

Oh, here's my Salvia guranitica 'Black and Blue' (my personal favorite)

Thumbnail by Dogzilla
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Now that's really nice. Great pic Dogzilla

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Lady in Red. One of my favorites. Dependable, tough, pretty and reseeds all over the place!

Thumbnail by thripmaster
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Lady in red is an awesome flower, Here's one that comes out a little like her but is perennial.

Salvia blepharphylla 'Diablo'

Thumbnail by drdon
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I would love to see a picture of Coral Nymph. That isn't hardy here but I what have read of it sounds so pretty. I have salvia transylvanica that is very blue and self sows. Sorry no pix. I also have Lady in Red.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I also have Black and Blue and LOVE it. The color is superb

Tina

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I have Black and Blue also.I think it has one of the most wonderful blue colors I have ever seen.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia guaranitica 'Costa Rica Blue' It's not quite the fabulous contrast of 'Black and Blue', but it does bring with it that great deep blue color.

Thumbnail by drdon
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Lenjo, here's a link for pic of 'Coral Nymph' http://www.cernyseed.cz/novinky04/Salvia%20coccinea%20Coral%20Nymph%20big.jpg. Not hardy for us either, but it reseeds and pops up everywhere which is fine by me. When weeding in the spring, I actually look for these so I make sure I won't pull them out by mistake!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's my Coral Nymph, a young plant in May '04. They start out coral, but when it gets hot, they are more pink (see next pic.)

Thumbnail by maggiemoo
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Just took this pic, the flowers in pink.

Thumbnail by maggiemoo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

So pretty, maggie, I love the coral nymph.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

S. Pozo Blue (a hybrid of Salvia clevelandii and Salvia leucophylla). The photo doesn't do it justice, it's absolutely beautiful right now. This plant is less than a year old -- we have another that is even bigger. The scent is heavenly and the color is intense -- a real WOW! plant. Hummingbirds love it and according to Las Pilitas Nursery, about 30 species of butterflies. I'll never have enough of this.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Coral Nymph is gorgeous!
Maggiemoo, it really is lovely indeed.

There really are some lovely pics coming in on this thread. Here's one of Salvia coahuilensis or Coahuila Sage from the state of Coahuila, Mexico.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia patens or Gentian Sage is also a nice one.

Thumbnail by drdon
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Ooooooo, Dr Don, I think you live in salvia heaven! I will have to take some pics tonight(of the ones I haven't killed, lol).

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Calalily,

nice to meet you. I sometimes think I do live in Salvia heaven. We're very lucky to have a climate that allows us to grow some of the good ones from Mexico and south America. They thrive in our heat but have some trouble with dieback from freezing in the winter.

Here's another of my favorites, Salvia chiapensis from the state of Chiapas in Mexico.

Thumbnail by drdon
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I love salvias, too. I only have a hot pink and a gargantua blue. Both have finished blooming. If I cut them back, do you think they'll re-bloom? My blue is about 5 feet now, so it could use a trim. Also, do you think there's any chance of rooting what I cut?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Oh, and Robin, your Lady in Red is just magnificent!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here's peachy pink Salvia Brenthurst, I love it - the picture doesn't do it justice.

By the way, how do I get it to bloom again? pinch the entire stem? pull the spent blossoms off the stem? leave it alone?

This message was edited Jul 11, 2005 5:47 PM

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Ivy1,

That's really a beaut! I'll bet it really puts on a show outside when the weather is right.

Here's one of our few pinks. We haven't quite graduated from blues and reds....lol.

This is Salvia microphylla 'Berzerkeley'

Thumbnail by drdon
No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, Ivy1, that is a beautiful pink!
~Kathleen

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I had seen Brenthurst in a public planting a few years ago and kept trying to find out what they were! It starts out a light peachy color with the tips darker pink! Really pretty.

So, does anyone know how I get it to keep blooming? All the blooms are gone now. I've pinched one back, pulled spent buds off of another, and left the rest alone.

I love your Berzerkeley, maybe more for the name than the plant! I like the way the buds are forming on top. It looks really soft to touch too.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

As a Berkeley alum, I have a soft spot for the cultivar's name....lol. We extend our Salvia bloom season by putting down a bunch of bone meal during the winter before we mulch around them. Another time is in early spring when they get their big haircut. We put the bone meal down and mulch over it so the doggies don't go wacky over the stuff.

hope this helps,
Don

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Do doggies like Salvia?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Ivy1,

Not particularly, but they do like bone meal. And when they frenzy over the stuff the Salvias get the brunt of their fury over the bone meal...lol.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

annual salvia Victoria blue.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Starzz,

great to see you!

That's a fabulous blue. Did you do it from seed? Does it produce fertile seed in your climate? If so, would you send me some?...lol, is this enough questions?...;-))

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

That's beautiful. I keep buying seeds of that and forgetting to plant them. I guess I better get cracking....

Here is Indigo Spires in my windowboxes. Did a mix of Salvias and Agastache, with Angelonia, Lantana, and Petunias.Threw in Sweet pea and Pansy seeds.

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Very nice indeed Ivy1,

I love Indigo Spires. Ours are out of bloom right now. I'm hoping for a fall bloom from them. The bloody Purple Majesty keeps crowding them...lol.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Drdon- got pics of Purple Majesty?

Going back over the thread, I realize that the plant I originally saw that led me to Brenthurst, was actually Coral Nymph! it's a beautiful plant, Maggiemoo!

Salvias Black and Blue, Diablo, and Chiahensis really caught my eye on second look.

Does anyone have pictures of Caradonna? I keep thinking I will buy some but haven't yet.

Can you imagine any other plant that has such a variety of colors available? Red, blue, peach, pink, purple. Wow!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia 'Purple Majesty' as per request. If you'd like plants of S. chiapensis, coahuilensis or 'Berzerkeley' I can send you rooted cuttings for SASE, no problem.

best to you,
don

Thumbnail by drdon
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh, golly, Drdon, that's purty. Makes my mouth water.

Thanks so much for the offer. I don't think they are hardy here, and I would hate to grow them all summer just to have them kick the bucket just as they bloom.... How quick would they grow, do you think?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Ivy1,

With your summer humidity and rain I'd say about an inch a day....lol. Very fast growing plants. I've got a freind in Vermont that just takes cuttings of hers in the late summer, keeps them in a sunny window during the winter, then moves them back outside when the night time temps get above freezing. They are hardy to about 28 degrees. We got down to 17 for three straight nights last winter and they survived with quite a bit of damage. But the great things about Salvias is that they are root hardy. With mulching they'll survive snow, ice and even our dry frosts here. Your climate in summer is perfect for them as evidenced by how nice your Indigo Spires are.

Here are a few of my salvias, it had more flowers yesterday, we had wind.
S. miniata

Thumbnail by Calalily

Another shot of S. miniata. This is one of my favorite reds.

Thumbnail by Calalily

S. romeriana, Cedar Sage, native to Texas

Thumbnail by Calalily

Salvia Mexicana "Port de Zoro", just starting to open. This one is doing well in the heat, it's in filtered light, no direct sun.

Thumbnail by Calalily

This is a type of bog sage, I think the tag said "pitcher sage". It's hard to see against the ficus bark, but it's a pretty sky blue color. Needs to stay moist and doesn't like hot sun.

Thumbnail by Calalily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.