Show off your Salvias

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Salvia repens, so far so good in the sun. I have to remember not to overwater.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Those are marvellous Calalily! Is the bog sage S. uliginosa?

I will have to look at the tag, I can't remember. What are the little worms that ate my Purple majesty buds? Will dipel kill them? I found them on there this morning when I went out to take a picture.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Bt is great for lepidopteran larvae, (caterpillars and worms) yet there are some that are not the larva of moths and butterflies. Do you have a pic of the little marauders?

I'll have to wait for more to hatch, I squished all I could find! They are little, kind of greenish tan and eat the tips and buds of my salvias and roll themselves up in the leaf to hide. I also have pyrethrum but was afraid it would burn the salvias and do more damage than the worms(I've done that to other plants, the spray did more damage than the bug)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya calalily,

Using Bt as a preventative is not going to be harmful and it very well may fix the problem. Pyrethrins could indeed do more damage than your ready for to the beneficial insects in the area as well as any bees that come for nectar. Never use pyrethrins around fish if you have a pond or otherwise keep fish near plants.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Calalily,

You might try http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740 to help identify your bug. Also, Night_Bloom is running a series of threads in Garden Foes called Friend or Foe #_ (1-4) describing different bugs -- very interesting.

Kathleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.