opinions on asparagus fern as indoor plant?

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

i have just potted up an asparagus fern in an urn and wondering if i should put it outside or keep it as an indoor plant? what kind of light requirements does it need indoors and will it make a mess with seeds/blooms? how large has yours gotten inside?

thanks in advance for the advise ;)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Unless you wish to clean up dropped needles every day during the winter, let the bubils go dormant. Just take the whole root ball out of the urn, put it in a pot, and let it go dry. Next March, bring it out to the light, start watering it and it will 'spring' back. Start fertilizing it once it has a bit of new growth.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I have one in a self-watering hanging pot that does very well in the house, but we don't keep our house real warm in the winter. Your heater will dry out the air/plant, therefore the leaves will drop. If you are willing to put it in the shower every couple of days and let it drip dry you shouldn't have a problem.

Judy

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Or if you just keep him in the bathroom to begin with.... LOL! But ya have to have a DH who likes a 45 minute shower every day...

I haven't had a needle drop problem - but of course it is right over the laundry hamper and is only a little over a year old (grown from seed!!!!)

I will get a picture of him later tonight.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I keep mine inside and it gets little white flowers on it that have a faint sort of mint smell. Whats a few leaves when they are so small!

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey I didnt know you could let them go dormant.Thanks for that info. I always bring 1 in but they really do drop a lot I hang mine in my bay window and pray someone dosent pull back the sheers to look at it. Its always a mess.I seeit and forget it. dixie

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I use to keep them as hanging basket houseplants all the time; sometimes with a summer vacation outdoors - sometimes not. Never had any falling leaf/needle problems, but I was careful to keep their soil slightly moist at all times. They do sometimes produce sweet little white flowers, & if pollinated by any indoor/outdoor insects, are sometimes followed by tiny red berries.

What did make me stop keeping them was that they outgrew their baskets very quickly, forcing me to have to divide & replant or give away more than any of my other plants.

Alden, NY(Zone 5b)

I winter mine indoors. I place it on a pebble tray that is always moist with water and cut back the watering just a little. I keep it in a north window, and here in NY, it is doing fine several years later!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Have had 4 of them for years -but they are a mess in the winter here. I think they don't like our furnace heat. I don't baby them at all - water them when I think of it-= toss them outside in the summer - they are monsters now! I did plant some of the berries - they were slow to germinate, but after two summers are absolutely huge!! I think they are keepers!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.