Pampas Grass or Bamboo

Denham Springs, LA

Our back acre borders a large subdivision so I need something that will give us privacy without being too much work. LOL. Currently we have small pine trees there but the original owners placed them too close together to mow in between and it is a big problem for dh. He wants them gone weeks ago. I don't want to cut them until I know what to plant in their place. I considered oleander but the fear of being so poisionous scared me away having 5 kids under 9. The other thoughts were pampas grass and bamboo. Dh is worried about both being too invasive. He works out in the swamps and other areas and has seen what bamboo can do. I love bamboo and would happily plant it but don't want an "I told you so". LOL. Basically if I could have a straight line bordering my property at least 3'deep where I could mow right up against it, I would be happy and so would dh. We do keep it mowed which I am wondering if this would keep it from getting out of hand? As for the pampas grass, I have read it is invasive too but for me the fear of snakes hiding in it is the biggy. There is a small ditch/culvert behind our property which connects with the woods on the other side of our property. Due to the standing water in the ditch and the small wooded pond area in the center of the other property, we have had an issue with copperheads/water moccassins. My neighbor has killed four this year in his backyard with one being in that ditch. My dog also was bitten by one recently. I don't want to intice (sp???) them into my yard more than necessary. So any advice on which to choose or any other suggestions appreciated.
More details on the placement...
Zone 8b or 9a depending on which map used...full Louisiana sunshine...Southwest facing area of our property...no way to water other than rains, good distance from our home and the kids don't venture out this far very often anyway...needed for privacy from neighbors.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

you can get clumping bamboos that are not so bad, also if you keep them mowed the edges stay relaly well een on the running bamboos, there are also barriers you can buy and plance around the base of the plant that will keep it to a area for you. Or just keep it on the dry side like mine and it does not grow fast at all - LOL

Mitch

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would consider the clumping bamboo or the Oleander.

Pampas has to be cut back every year or so and you would temporarily lose your privacy. It is also dangerous with little kids as the edges of the blades (leaves) are razor sharp.

You don't mention how long a line you are trying to screen; the bamboo can be expensive and slow growing. The Oleander is fast growing and evergreen and you can find them for a pretty reasonable price most places these days.

Another thought might be Loropetalum. That is what I planted when I tore out the evil (we had rats in ours) Pampas.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You cut your Pampas down? I have not yet had to cut ours...... Maybe I am going to have to ...

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

Erianthus ravennae (Hardy Plume Grass)

Mark

Thornton, IL

This message was edited Sep 5, 2005 7:44 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Pampas doesn;t have to be cut back until such time as it it being divided (or removed)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Riker! Got worried there I had more lawn work!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You may also want to bear in mind that those ornamental grasses have very sharp blades. If you intend to mow right up to them, you might get cut up from them. Pampas grass is very sharp! I have grown the Cortaderia which is not hardy for me, as well as Erianthus. In your zone either will work. You can put down a barrier to keep bamboo in check.

On a side note, I think you have me beat in the kid dept. I have six with the oldest having just turned 12. LOL

Pearl River, LA

You know khalanne the easiest less expensive way to handle your problem is to just let it go "wild" for a bird sanctuary I did that is my yard on the fence row and it is amazing what wild plants come and go in La..the storm took most of it out but . now the black cherry trees are coming back along with polk berry, tung oil stray mimosa's. It is about five feet wide and I just concede that to the birds and let it grow to screen me from the side road. I like it myself.... mimosas bloom , the tung oils bloom a wisteria is there. They are all making a come back and. and I am just reclaiming the yard to within five feet of the ditch. and just let it do its thing.. The yard fills withe birds enjoying themselves......Much too hard for me to reclaim and remove all the roots involved.... Bamboo would be good ...I think they have a type that doesn't spread so much. I also love the large pampas grass...It does well here.. I think you can give it as much or as little care as you like. shirley

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm guessing you're in Zone 8, so the best bamboos for you would be Bambusa oldhamii, B. vulgaris or B. multiplex, as all are clumping and reach a large size fairly quickly (they usually get about 10 ft tall from a 3-5 gallon plant in 2-3 years).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.