How do you mark plants for seed saving?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Here's my problem -- I have several plants in the garden I want to save seed from (or pull when it comes to the oreintal lilies). BUT -- I don't want them to set seed right now- so I have been deadheading. What do you all use to mark a plant? I will NEVER remember them all once the blooms are done. I need some kind of tag to put ON the plant (sortof like a twist tie or those yellow trash bag tie things) that will last, that I can write on, so I can save seed when it comes time.

Any suggestions? I am also puttin this in proigation and bulbs -- to get a wider range of views.

Thanks!!!!

Heather

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I get the little survey flags at the local hardware store. They're basically a metal wire with a plastic flag that can be written on. They can be a bit garrish, but they're hard to miss.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

http://www.gardenmarker.com/

Check with your local nursery.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

LOL!! I should have pre-faced by sayong I want cheap or free methods--- If I had to purchase little tags for all the plants I would be broke! LOL!!!!!

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

well, you put the matter down to its real dimensions: us amateurs sometimes want to do many things without calculating time, workload, and expenses for everything we do; so, you will see a lot of price difference between "scientific" nurseries where everything and everyone is properly organised, and more empeirical places like the street market where things are obscure. This means that identification and precision will be payed for in real money. Think: how certain are you that your x-type rose seed is not a cross unintended and realised by insects ? And the counterpoint is, how important to you is it to have the particular subspecies exactly and not its cousin ?

Then, paper and pencil in one hand, kebab sticks with numbers on theother hand for every plant - how is that ? kebab sticks come very cheap, a fine felt tip will write on them etc - and tell me if you will have the courage to sit down in the evening and reorganise the field notes.

Best of luck

Dimitri

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Dimitri -- I am sure it was unintended -- but your post came across are rather condescending.

I am just looking to be able to save seed form my various petunia (at least 10 varieties), begonia,torentina,mondaria, and also mark plants for later removal - such as dayliies and orential lilies- which I won't move until they are done blooming- so I will have to mark them in some way in order to mave them correctly.

Will I be broken-hearted if the "purple petunia with white edging" doesn't all come true? Not really. And if I trade seed I will make sure to tell traders I have collected the seed myself and that it may not come true.

And as for taking the time to keep notes? I started 15 flats of seeds indoors each flat had 72 cells. That equals 1080 cells.The graphed charts I had for each flat made it VERY simple to keep track. Not to mention the cuttings I had started and african violet leaves. so I am NOT concerned about my ability to take notes.

Thanks for your input though.

Heather

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

If you have a moment, check out this thread. ButterflyChaser mentioned old mini blinds...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/520414/

Donna

This message was edited Jun 21, 2005 3:33 PM

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Donna-- Actually I decided to go that route exactly- I cut them into square, punch a hole and make them similar to a hang tag with some thread (my leftovers from cross stitching) and use a sharpie and tie them in a hard to see (for now) area.

In my garden (and flats) the kebab/popsicle stick method doesn't work. they rot well before I need to read them or the encourage mold in my flats.

;-)

Heather

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.