North of Churchill River, Saskatchewan

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Insulin is pretty hardy. I have kept insulin unreferigerated for up to 2 months with only a little need to increase dose. Freezing is the problem and once frozen it is gone. I always carry it and candy bars and blood glucose tester on my body in water tight bag. Also I have others stored in bullet proof locations. Other wise I have to go home early. Paddling is a great exercise for the diabetic and I feel that it is the one exercise that is perfect. You can paddle like a banshee or sit and cruise depending on wind waves and curents. There is always the earth to rest on if needed. Most of my paddling has been on coastal areas in the Pacific NW but I moved to Montana 10 years ago and have started to master white water so now is the time to go to adventure. You have so many remote areas up there I am excited. I know that I'm not picking the most beautiful rivers but the history is facinating when I travel where I have read about.
This picture is of a garden bed of my Jack russels grave. She went everywhere with me for 11 years.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the information....I wondered after reading where people in the south were really worried about their insulin after Katrina, etc. (after they had lost refridgeration). I didn't realize it could go that long without being kept cold (I wondered if you would be putting it in a bag that would attached to the canoe and would trail besides the canoe in the water). I give you lots of credit.....you have to be in shape for the adventure your about to take on (esp. when its' a solitary one). Your dogs, I'm sure, are wonderful company (and protection.....or great early warning;). Your Jack Russel esp. would have served that purpose well. Neighbor across the street has one and it loves to push its' luck with the neighborhood Rottweilers.

Northern Sask. stands out in my memory just as much as trips to BC........different but, like you, I think it's the remoteness, true wilderness, and the history that makes it just as special. edited to say AND the trees (to bald prairie eyes;)

Your devotion, and closeness to your dogs, reminds me of James Herriot.......I love his stories! My father had a Springer Spaniel (Danny) that would daily leave the house (on his own) and go downtown to pick up my Grandfather at work and walk back home with him. My father still talks about him.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 1:23 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sophie was her name and your right she was a tough dog. One night after a squall blew me out into the Pacific about 6 miles off shore I was desperate to get to shore and rest so I landed on a small piece of sand that also was a sealion haul out/rookerie. Well Sophie was instantly commited to keeping the poor creatures away from our camp by charging and barking at any that were curious to visit us. (I know this was a bad thing to do but I had no choice. There was over 40 miles of open rocky coastline ahead of me.) Well she stayed at her job all night and day until we left the beach in the morning. She slept well that day in her crate on the back of the kayak. I'm sure the sealions still have nightmares of the little white moby dick landing on their beach.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL.......THAT I can picture that very well. We have a Cocker Spaniel and every so often Rudy (the JR across the street) has to come tell our dog (in our backyard) that we are in it's neighborhood. Rudy is actually the new arrival. Stubborn, strong willed dogs. ;)

I've scanned the above and I didn't see who would be accompaning you this trip......dog wise?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Maddie my new Jack Russel will be handling the bow position of my Old Town Otca. (I think) It is my grandfathers canoe which has a cedar frame with canvas cover, center rowing seat with oars, sails and dagger board etc. I figure my grandfather will be joining maddie and myself when things get quiet. The Saskatchwan part of the trip and Lk Winipeg if time allows will be perfect for this boat. For the Lower leg I will be using my Mad River Mistrel to make the portages' easier. Of course Maddie will stay home.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Lovely looking Jack Russel Sofer! :) Maddie looks much more obedient (and less hyper) then the above mentioned one.

Now you've got my curiousity up......do you have pics of the above mentioned crafts?

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 2:12 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You have a keen insight for dog personalities. Maddie is the most mild mannered dog on the planet earth. As a veterinarian I am expermenting in why is she so easy going. I know that she is hypothyroid and maybe that is the cause. Yes I do but I'll have to scan the photo because the Old town is at my fathers house in Michigan and I need to get it this spring. So I'll try a scan. Be back

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Got it done here is one of the photos of my Old town.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

another up close

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Will you be able to touch bases with us from time to time? Then I could live vicariously through you. That would be so cool!!

John

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sorry John but the only reports will be after I return. I'll email you with the story when I return. The lengths of each tour will be based on my scedule through the next couple of years. I will probably post on myccr.com. Hey how do it copy and paste a Email site on to this forum?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Go to the web site. 'Copy' the address in the address bar. Then paste it into your comment. Test it before hitting the send button.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is the site for lots of canoe trip stories. http://www.canoe.ca/AllAboutCanoes/canoe_books.html It has helped me a lot in knowing about water levels and what to expect when I arrive.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=12059&sid=b1f613d654ce8b063967476cc12bdb9c Trying your link again.....hope it works.

I'll certainly be very interested in receiving your trip log/diary/story as well Sofer.......BTW my name is Pam. My son thought *Old Town* was really cool, he had to ask however if you are aware of how strong the rapids are on the Churchill?

re: dogs grew up with lots, have had a number, and visiting farms you *really* have to read them prior to getting out of the car. :S ;)

*Old Town*, a very unique treasure you have, reminds me of an old wooden boat my DF still has. We've spent many a summer revarnishing it.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 8:59 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure how the Churchill R involves me. I'm starting at Rockymountain House (or below) then going down the N Saskatchewan the Saskatchewan to Lk Winnipeg. Then I'll be changing canoes for the southern Lk of the Woods etc. to Grand Portage. I do like the pictures that you included in your trip but I'm more into what David Thompson thought and experienced. I'm sure he did the Churchill early in his life but like him I'm too lazy to battle that all the way. A few rattlesnakes, black flies, misquitoes, and occasional moose will keep me busy.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

No bears?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry 'bout that, you're right....I didn't take Jeff through all the postings so he could see what your planned route is. Was *just* talking to DF and he also reiterated that you'd be on the N. Saskatchewan too. Kinda got my wires crossed after talking to DS.

A wonderful journey awaits you!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 6:19 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm not sure how long this link will work but here is the listing of books, on David Thompson, held in the major libraries across Canada. Most are available for ILLO.

Bond, Rowland. The original northwester : David Thompson and the native tribes of North America / by Rowland Bond. -- Nine Mile Falls, Wash. : Spokane House Enterprises, c1970-71.

2 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's journal of the international boundary survey, 1817-1827 : western Lake Erie, August-September, 1819 / edited by Clarke E. Leverette. -- London, Ont. : Killaly Press, 1974.

3 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Journal of the International Boundary Survey, 1817-1827 : Western Lake Erie, August-September, 1819 / Edited by Clarke E. Leverette. -- London, Ont : Killaly Press, 1974.

4 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Travels in western North America, 1784-1812 / David Thompson ; edited by Victor G. Hopwood. -- Toronto : Macmillan of Canada, c1971.

5 Smith, James K. David Thompson, fur trader, explorer, geographer / [by] James K. Smith. -- Toronto : Oxford University Press, 1971.

6 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's narrative, 1784-1812 : a new edition with added material / edited with an introduction and notes by Richard Glover. -- Toronto : Champlain Society, 1962.

7 Wood, Kerry, 1907-. The map-maker : the story of David Thompson / by Kerry Wood ; illustrated by William Wheeler. -- Toronto : Macmillan, 1955.

8 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Narrative. A facsim. ed. -- New York : Greenwood Press, 1968.

9 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson / James K. Smith. -- Don Mills, Ont. : Fitzhenry & Whiteside, c1975.

10 Morton, Arthur S. (Arthur Silver), 1870-1945. David Thompson / by A. S. Morton. -- Toronto : Ryerson Press, c1930.

11 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. David Thompson : Canada's greatest geographer : an appreciation / by J. B. Tyrrell. -- [s.l. : s.n., 1922?]

12 McMorran, Gordon Alexander, 1885-. Souris River posts and David Thompson's diary of his historical trip across the Souris plains. -- Souris, Souris Plaindealer, 1950-1959.

13 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. A Brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson, in north-western America. -- Toronto, Copp, 1888.

14 Cochrane, Charles Norris, 1889-1945. David Thompson, the explorer. -- Toronto, Macmillan, 1924.

15 Henry, Alexander, d. 1814. New light on the early history of the greater Northwest / the manuscript journals of Alexander Henry...and David Thompson. -- New York, Harper, 1897.

16 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's narrative of his explorations in western America, 1784-1812 / edited by J.B. Tyrrell. -- Toronto : Champlain Society, 1916.

17 Henry, Alexander, d. 1814. New light on the early history of the greater Northwest : the manuscript journals of Alexander Henry, fur trader of the Northwest Company, and of David Thompson, official geographer and explorer of the same company, 1799-1814 : exploration and adventure among the Indians on the Red, Saskatchewan, Missouri and Columbia Rivers / edited with copious critical commentary, by Elliott Coues. -- Minneapolis, Minn. : Ross & Haines, 1965.

18 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's narrative of his explorations in western America, 1784-1812. -- New York, Greenwood, 1968-1916.

19 McMorran, G. A. Souris River posts and David Thompson's diary of his historical trip across the Souris plains to the Mandan villages in the winter of 1797-98. -- [Souris, Man. : Souris Plaindealer Ltd., 1950?]

20 Cochrane, Charles Norris, 1889-1945. David Thompson, the explorer / by Charles Norris Cochrane. -- Toronto : The Macmillan co. of Canada, Ltd., 1924.

Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson [sound recording] / James K. Smith. -- Toronto : CNIB, 1991.
22 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. The re-discovery of David Thompson / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- Ottawa : Printed for the Royal Society of Canada, 1928.

23 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. A brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson in north-western America / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- Toronto : Copp, Clark, 1888.

24 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. A brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson, in north-western America [microform] / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [Toronto? : s.n.], 1888 (Toronto : Copp, Clark)

25 Evans, Hubert, 1892-1986. North to the unknown : the achievements & adventures of David Thompson / by Hubert Evans ; illustrated by Ruth Collins. -- Toronto : McClelland & Stewart, c1949.

26 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson, fur trader, explorer, geographer [braille]. -- Toronto : CNIB, [197-]

27 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson, fur trader, explorer, geographer [sound recording]. -- Toronto : CNIB, [197-]

28 David Thompson and the first gateways [sound recording]. -- [S.l.] : Edumedia 11309, [19--]

29 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's journals relating to Montana and adjacent regions, 1808-1812 / transcribed from a photostatic copy of the original manuscript and edited with an introduction by M. Catherine White. -- Missoula : Montana State University Press, 1950.

30 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Im wilden Norden Amerikas, 1784-1812 / David Thompson ; herausgegeben von Frank Auerbach. -- Stuttgart : Edition Erdmann, c1988.
Garrod, Stan, 1946-. David Thompson / Stan Garrod. -- Toronto : Grolier, c1989.

32 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson / James K. Smith ; [traducteur, Albert Ledoux]. -- Longueuil, Québec : Editions Julienne, c1976.

33 Short, Steve. In the path of the explorers : tracing the expeditions of Vancouver, Cook, Mackenzie, Fraser and Thompson / Short & Neering. -- Vancouver : Whitecap Books, c1992.

34 Garrod, Stan. David Thompson / Stan Garrod. -- Toronto : Grolier, c1989.

35 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Columbia journals / David Thompson ; edited by Barbara Belyea. -- Montréal : McGill-Queen's University Press, c1994.

36 Evans, Hubert, 1892-. North to the unknown : the achievements & adventures of David Thompson / Illus. by Ruth Collins. -- New York : Dodd, Mead, [1949].

37 Nisbet, Jack, 1949-. Sources of the river : tracking David Thompson across western North America / Jack Nisbet ; maps and illustrations by Jack McMaster. -- Seattle : Sasquatch Books, c1994.

38 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, 1858-1957. David Thompson: explorer. -- [s.l, s.n.], [n.d.].

39 Hamilton, Basil G. A race for an inland empire [and Stepping out with David Thompson in western Canada] / by Basil G. Hamilton. -- [Invermere?, B.C. : s.n., 1926-33?]
40 David Thompson memorial service, 23rd May, 1927 : monument in Mount Royal Cemetary unveiled by Sir Frederick Williams-Taylor. -- [Montréal : s.n., 1927]

Explorers of Canada [videorecording] / National Film Board of Canada. -- [Montreal] : National FIlm Board of Canada , [c1995]

42 Smith, James K., 1926- . David Thompson. -- Don Mills, Ont. : Fitzhenry & Whiteside, 1975.

43 Wood, Kerry. The map-maker : the story of David Thompson. -- Toronto : Macmillan, 1962

44 Smith, James K. David Thompson / James K. Smith. -- Don Mills, Ont. : Fitzhenry & Whiteside, c1975.

45 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson : fur trader, explorer, geographer / James K. Smith. -- Toronto : Oxford University Press, 1971.

46 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, 1858-1957. David Thompson, explorer / by J.B. Tyrrell ; photographs by the author. -- [s.l. : s.n., 19--?]

47 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. David Thompson and the Rocky Mountains / edited by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [Toronto : s.n., 1934?]

48 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. David Thompson and the Columbia river / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [Toronto? :bs.n., 1937?]

49 Howay, F. W. (Frederic William), 1867-1943. David Thompson's account of his first attempt to cross the Rockies / by F.W. Howay. -- [Kingston? Ont. : s.n., 1933?]

50 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Narrative, 1784-1812 / David Thompson. New ed., enl. / edited with an introd. and notes by Richard Glover. -- Toronto : Champlain Society, 1962.
Elliott, T. C. (Thompson Coit), 1862-1943. David Thompson, pathfinder and the Columbia River / by T.C. Elliott. -- Kettle Falls, Wash. : Seimitar Press, 1911.

52 Explorers 1 [videorecording]. -- [Montreal] : NFB, 1980.

53 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. A brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson, in north-western America [microform] / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [Toronto? : s.n.], 1888 (Toronto : Copp, Clark)

54 Flandrau, Grace, 1889-1971. Koo-koo-sint, the Star Man; a chronicle of David Thompson. -- [St. Paul, Minn. ? s.n., 1925?]

55 Cochrane, Charles Norris, 1889-1945. David Thompson, the explorer [microform] / by Charles Norris Cochrane. -- Ottawa : National Library of Canada, 197-?

56 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. A brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson, in north-western America [microform] / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- Ottawa : National Library of Canada, 1976.

57 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Narrative. A facsim. ed. -- New York : Greenwood Press, 1968.

58 Burpee, Lawrence J., 1873-1946. Notes on David Thompson. -- [S.l. : s.n., 1923].

59 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Journals relating to Montana and adjacent regions, 1808-1812./ Transcribed from a photostatic copy of the original mss., and edited with an introd. by M. Catherine White. -- Missoula, Montana State University Press, 1950.

60 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, 1858-1957. A brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson, in north-western America [microform] / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [Toronto? : s.n.], 1888 (Toronto : Copp, Clark)

61 The story of Kinbasket / illustrations by Dorothy Chapman Gibbs. -- Golden, B.C. : Kinbasket Tourist Villas, [1935?]

62 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's journals [microform]. -- 1789-1851.

63 David Thompson: The Great Mapmaker [videorecording]. --

64 Landell, Charles Dalhousie. David Thompson: explorer, fur trader, astronomer, surveyor, map-maker. -- [Toronto? 1965]

65 Henry, Alexander, d. 1814. The manuscript journals of Alexander Henry, fur trader of the Northwest Company, and of David Thompson, official geographer and explorer of the same Company : exploration and adventure among the Indians on the Red, Saskatchewan, Missouri, and Columbia River / edited with copious critical commentary by Elliott Coues. -- Minneapolis, Minn. : Ross & Haines, 1965.

66 David Thompson, the explorer. [microform]. -- Toronto, Macmillan.

67 Souris River posts [microform] and David Thompson's diary of his historical trip across the Souris plains. -- Souris, Souris Plaindealer.

68 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, 1858-1957. David Thompson, Canada's greatest Geographer, an appreciation in connection with the opening of the David Thompson Memorial Fort at Lake Windermere, B.C., Aug. 30th, 1922. -- [n.p.] 1922.

69 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, 1858-1957. David Thompson, explorer. -- [n.p., n.d.]

70 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Travels in western North America, 1784-1812 / Edited by Victor G. Hopwood. -- Toronto : Macmillan of Canada, [c1971].

71 Site of Fort Kootenae, ... Lake Windermere District, East Kootenac, B.C.; letter, memorandum and plan. -- [n.p., n.d.]

72 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson : fur trader, explorer, geographer / James K. Smith. -- Toronto : Oxford University Press, 1971.

73 Henry, Alexander, d. 1814. The manuscript journals of Alexander Henry, fur trader of the Northwest Company, and of David Thompson, official geographer and explorer of and adventure among the Indians on the Red, Saskatchewan, Missouri and Columbia Rivers / edited with copious critical commentary by Elliott Coves. -- New York : F.P. Harper, 1897.

74 Elliott, Thompson Coit, 1862-1943. Historical papers and addresses. -- Walla Walla, Wash., Privately printed, 1935.

75 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's journal of the international boundary survey, 1817-1827 [and] western Lake Erie, August-September, 1819. Edited by Clarke E. Leverette. -- London, Ont. Killaly Press 1974

76 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's account of his first attempt to cross the Rockies / [Edited] by F.W. Howay. -- [Kingston, Ont.] : [S.n.], 1933.

77 A Legacy for tomorrow [videorecording]. -- S.l. : Alberta Energy and Natural Resources ; Edmonton : Century II Motion Pictures Ltd., [1975-1986].

78 Freeman, Randolph Steven. Geographical naming in the old north-west : a study of the naming of geographical features by fur-traders in the western interior of British North America / by Randolph Steven Freeman. -- 1985.

79 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. David Thompson [microform] : explorer / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [S.l. : s.n., 191-?]

80 Morton, Arthur Silver, 1870-1945. Did Duncan McGillivray and David Thompson cross the Rockies in 1801?. -- [s.l. : s.n., 1937?]

81 Bond, Rowland. The original northwester: David Thompson and the native tribes of North America / by Rowland Bond. [1st ed.]. - -- Nine Mile Falls, Wash.: Spokane House Enterprises, [1972, c1970-71]. -

82 McCart, J. (Joyce), 1936-. On the road with David Thompson / Joyce and Peter McCart. -- Calgary : Fifth House Publishers, c2000.

83 David Thompson [filmstrip] / [presented by] The National Film Board of Canada. -- [Ottawa] : The Board, 1957.
84 Tyrrell, J. B. (Joseph Burr), 1858-1957. David Thompson, a great geographer [microform] / by J.B. Tyrrell. -- [London? : s.n., 1911?] (London : W. Clowes)

85 McMorran, G. A. (Gordan A.), b. 1885. Souris river posts : and David Thompson's diary of his historical trip across the Souris plains to the Mandan villages in the winter of 1797-98 / by G.A. McMorran, editor, Souris Plaindealer. -- Souris, Man. : Souris Plaindealer, [ca. 1952].

86 Mackay, Isabel Ecclestone, 1875-1928. The David Thompson memorial. -- Toronto : The Canadian magazine, 1923.

87 Smith, Allan H. An ethnohistorical analysis of David Thompson's 1809-1811 journeys in the lower Pend Oreille Valley, northeastern Washington. -- [Bloomington, Indiana Univ. Pr.] 1961.

88 Clutton-Brock, Elizabeth. Woman of the paddle song. -- Vancouver [B.C.] Copp Clark Pub. Co. [c1972]

89 MacDonald, Graham A. (Graham Alexander), 1944-. Aspects of the life and work of David Thompson : with special reference to Rocky Mountain House. -- Calgary, [Alta.] : Cultural and Resource Management, Western Canada Service Centre, 2001.

90 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. Columbia journals / David Thompson ; edited by Barbara Belyea. -- Montréal : McGill-Queen's University Press, 1993.

one or more results to display records
91 Canadian history. [filmstrip]. -- Ottawa : National Film Board of Canada, 1957.

92 Ciencin, Scott. The explorers / by Scott Ciencin. -- New York : Random House, 2001.

93 Smith, James K., 1926-. David Thompson / James K. Smith. Rev. ed. -- Markham, Ont. : Fitzhenry & Whiteside, c2003.

94 Jenish, D'Arcy, 1952-. Epic wanderer : David Thompson and the mapping of the Canadian West / D'Arcy Jenish. -- [Toronto] : Doubleday Canada, c2003.

95 Canada Volume 4. [videorecording (DVD)] : a people's history. Widescreen letterbox version. -- [Toronto, Ont.] : Morningstar Entertainment, c2000.

96 Canada Volume 6 Series 2. [videorecording (DVD)] : a people's history. Special documentary ed. -- [Toronto, Ont.] : Morningstar Entertainment, c2001.

97 Pole, Graeme, 1956-. David Thompson : the epic expeditions of a great Canadian explorer / by Graeme Pole. -- Canmore, Alta. : Altitude Pub. Canada, 2003.

98 History of science. [Part 1, David Thompson, mapmaker] [videorecording] / producer, Francois Ayotte. English version. -- [Toronto] : CBC, c2000.

99 Jenish, D'Arcy, 1952-. Epic wanderer : David Thompson and the mapping of the Canadian West / D'Arcy Jenish. -- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c2004.

100 Les explorateurs, volume 2 [videorecording]. -- Montreal : National Film Board of Canada, c1995.

101 Evans, Hubert, 1892-. North to the unknown : the achievements and adventures of David Thompson / illus. by Ruth Collins. -- Toronto : McClelland, [c1949].

102 Thompson, David, 1770-1857. David Thompson's narrative / [edited by J. B. Tyrrell]. -- New York : Greenwood Press, 1968.

103 David Thompson [motion picture] :The Great Mapmaker. -- [Montreal] : National Film Board of Canada, 1964.

104 McMorran, G.A. Souris River posts : including David Thompson's diary of his historical trip across the Souris Plains to the Mandan Villages in the winter of 1797-98 / by G. A. McMorran. -- Souris : Souris Plaindealer, 1950.

105 David Thompson, mapmaker [videorecording]/ host, Dennis Trudeau ; journalist, Hélène Courchesne ; producer, François Ayotte. -- [Montréal] : Réseau d'Information/Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, c2000.

106 Jenish, D'Arcy, 1952-. Epic wanderer : David Thompson and the mapping of the Canadian West / D'Arcy Jenish. Anchor Canada ed. -- Toronto : Anchor Canada, 2004, c2003.

107 David Thompson papers [microform] : 1789-1851. -- Toronto, Ont. : Archives of Ontario, 1986.

108 Nisbet, Jack, 1949-. The mapmaker's eye : David Thompson on the Columbia Plateau / Jack Nisbet. -- Pullman : Washington State University Press, c2005.

109 Tyrrell, Joseph Burr, 1858-1957. A brief narrative of the journeys of David Thompson in north-western America [microform] : Read before the Canadian institute, March 3rd, 1888. -- Toronto : The Copp, Clark Company, 1888.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874222850/qid=1138581530/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/104-8442569-7062341?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
The Mapmaker's Eye: David Thompson on the Columbia Plateau (Paperback)
by Jack Nisbet

I noticed you were wondering, in the above link, about the most recent book published concerning him.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 7:02 PM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 7:08 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We people in Montana don't consider bears a problem. We have an odor that repels them. HAHA After all we have to wrestle grizzlies here on every paddle.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Updated the post above......since the link didn't work. Prolly way more than you'll ever want to know about him. ;)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Cowabunga, Pam! You must be a research librarian.

And, bears have an oder (esp. @ eating carrion).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL.....that I might be John. ;)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

BTW Soferdig you'll probably run into a few other vets here as well. Both palmbob and drdon are also in your profession.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 8:03 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I did have a bear experience in the Sophie garden when I just finished it. Early one morning my wife woke me up and said a bear was digging up the new plants under the bird feeder. I without thinking threw on my red robe and ran down stairs and out into the garden. Upon arrival the bear stopped and noticed the guy in red and started to stand and look big, quite big when I remembered that I didn't even have a stick or whatever. So I did what all bear experts say to do. I raised my red robe over my head and Started talking loudly and slowly walking towards the Bruin making the largest profile I could at 5'8". Now the main reason the bear stopped challenging me and left the area in my opinion was that he could see that I also was a bruin and certainly was more than he could handle. My wife had other ideas but I dismissed them. HA HA

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Me thinks the bear thought he had stumbled into a strange neighborhood where male bears wear red robes. Decided things like that are none of business and moved on.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'd like to hear her ideas on the subject. ;)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

What do you natives do for the skeeters? I have always used a Deet product from REI.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

DEET!!! In fact, we used 100% DEET issued by the army when I worked in Alaska. Pretty heavy duty stuff but, heck, the skeeters were too.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You must remember that any descriptions from the male perspective are always exaggerated. My wife has an accurate ruler. So that is all I can say.
Though my garden is surounded by a large herd of commercialy raised elk. When I work in my garden I often interact with the elk on the other side of the fence. So one day during the rut a bull elk was defineing his territory by grunting, scraping with his antlers, and lowering his head and charging every time I came near to the fence. Well being a veterinarian I know how to communicate with animals. So I started to mark my territory on his head with my recycled beer. To my surprise he backed up and left the area and never bothered me again that season. Though I have had "Angel" the lead cow elk in the herd always following me along the fence when I come near. Its cute cause actually she hates me and does the lip smack of agression that is common to elk. When my friends come over to see the elk I tell them the story and tell them she is kissing me. LoL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha, ha, ha!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

At work and obviously kept this reply post up too long.
You are most definitely an animal whisperer Soferdig. ;)

We use regular store brands:
Deep Woods Off, Muskol, 6-12, and Watkins Insect Repellent Lotion.

Forgot..... at the right time of year the ticks are downright nasty too. They aren't in Northern SK but the further south you come....... :)~

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 4:47 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm having an awful time, between work and the slowness of Daves, to post. Just saw your post above Sofer..........you and Farley Mowat would have gotten along well.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Farley gave me the idea. Never..... One of my favorites.
Ticks here in Montana are primarily in spring. they tend to thin in Summer. Once I put a deer skin on me and chased my dog trying to get her to stop chasing deer. Well the deer ticks were hungry and ate the top of my head before I threw off the hide and ran for the river.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Spring to mid summer here.
LOL.....that too I can picture well.;) Used to canoe at a lake beside a family farm. Will never, ever, forget looking down and realizing that I had stepped into an area where they had planned to have a picnic. Hundreds of the little devils on my pants. Also spent one summer clearing a skiing/snowmobile trail at a Provincial Park.........we had lots of practice burning/smothering them (wore bathing suits so we could strip down and search prior to leaving at the end of the day).

p.s. yep that's the book of Farley's I was thinking of too.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 4:12 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Be very careful on Lake Winnipeg. I've been windbound there for 3 or 4 days at a time. Do lots of reading. Very dangerous. Winds are best just at dawn. Follow the shore line so you can get in if you have to do so.

The Grand Portage. Worst day ever. Two trips, one with the canoes and then back again fo rthe packs. You ARE MAD> 7 miles of MUD/SWAMP/Blackfly. Hope you have been reading some of the voyageur diaries. Or Parkman. Do you have the Govt. of Canada maps?

inanda

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You will have to forgive me but I have joined the "black shoe society". Its sole purpose is to save a Canadian garden by bringing it south to the states. Try to forgive me. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/572324/

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:b and we were sooooooooo nice to you! ;)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

ianda I figure I'll portage along the highway near by and pull my canoe on wheels. LOL Of course I will be excreting deet out every pore by the end of that trip. And my eyes will be swollen shut so the flies no longer can bother me.
How much of the voyageur trip did you do? From where to where?
I have heard that the east side of the lake is best due to the westerlies will bring you to land rather than out to sea
Also how do I get to Lk of the woods from Winnipeg?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We drove from Winnipeg to Lake of the Woods.......but that was with a rather large sailboat. ;) Hopefully inanda will come back with another water route.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.