Blue flowers blooming now

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Daisy - patience sometimes does pay off! Good job!

My DH had lots of trouble, for 2 years now, with Petunia seeds. We've given in and bought them each year. Time to change seed houses.

somewhere, PA

I know this is a comment more for the "propagation forum" but I'll share a tidbit here.
I''ve had petunia's seed themselves in pots near one growing them. I'll keep the pots
intact for a few months, after everything is done & its cold outside. I'll find baby petunias
in some. I just move the babies to a little pot and grow them up for the next year.
(OK - I have a greenhouse but I bet it would work in southern windows too.)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Pirl,
I just bought some Lilly Miller seeds. I had also bought some Territorial seeds too. They had 10 seeds for $4.45 and I never usually pay that much ever but thought they had good seed so why not. Well, only 1 germed. So I wasn't happy. The Lilly Miller seeds came and went. So I will have to find good seed next winter, I guess.
I have bought some petunias this year too but wanted to do my own!!! But patience wasn't my thing but I did finally wait for it all. They are even more pretty today, getting more in full bloom.
Let me know if you ever find a good seed place for petunias. I really like the bright red ones in my certain pots.
Carol

somewhere, PA

I've had good luck with Thompson Morgan petunia seed. I've tried Blue wave and Silver wave.
Tam

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, thanks, Tammy.
I will try them next year. I was just trying Territoral because they grow for this area here in the northwest, so thought they would be good. I could be me too, not germing the seed right. Learned a lot this winter on how to do them so maybe will try Terr. again.
Carol

Hi all!

Since this is such a great blue thread I thought maybe someone could give me an idea for a low growing blue annual (perennial would be even better). I have a curving sloped "river" of grape hyacinth in April and May and would like to continue the look for the summer. I bought 18 light blue (Cambridge) lobelia. I probably should have thrown in a few darker ones for more interest. It's in a morning sun only spot that isn't wet but isn't dry.

Any ideas?

somewhere, PA

You want to plant something amongst the grape hyacynth? You could
add azureum allium to get some June blue (and it would mix well with the
muscari). Then perhaps put in some fall crocus - I'm sure there are blue
varieties.

It might be hard to grow something with the muscari since they put out
pretty dense folliage in summer. If you don't mind having them thinned
a bit, then: lobelia, blue pansies, torenia. (I'll have to think about this more.
All I can come up with are spring flowering perenials - phlox divaricata is
one of my favorite part shade blue flowering perennials. But that's for
late Apr/early May.)

Thanks Tammy - love the idea of pansies. I have them in other areas of the garden and should transplant just one to see if it can live there. I'd like the light blue and white mix I have now since it would resemble the blue of the water and the white of the white caps. It's very soothing to look at.

I do appreciate your help.

I saw it, originally, in a magazine, all done with white but for a river I prefer the blues.

Arlene

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Amsonia - trueblue with white dianthus

Thumbnail by esw
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey, in case any of you are lost, there is a part 2 to this thread and it takes much less time to load.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/520367/

Nice, nice Amsonia, ESW, and so much bluer than mine. I clearly have the wrong variety.

Pirl, throw some seed around in the Muscari. The plants should start growing when the Muscari is already fading away, and neither one will bother the other. Try Phacelia, Nigella, Anagallis, Aquilegia (there are several blue varieties), forget-me-nots, and did you see those blue pansies Old Flower Girl posted? They're stunning!

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

This one is a selection from WFF and darker than many and certainly darker than the Amsonia hubrechtii I have in another bed.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

No wonder. Mine's hubrechtii and it definitely doesn't have the same zing.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Amsonia - trueblue with white dianthus. This is beautiful! Will it grow in my zone? I have never even heard of it! I would love to get some!
Janet

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

White Flower Farms has it....it is their selection of the willowleaf amsonia....the hubrechtii is a threadleaf type. The hubrechtii that I have is a more of a light steely blue. I will have to see if I can find a picture of it....it is done blooming now

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.