Blue flowers blooming now

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

And this geranium x magnificum

Thumbnail by saya
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

oh yeah - campanula! Got one of those thats pretty blue that will be taking their turn in a few weeks.

What about the illustrious blue Himalayan poppy? Any one have those? I've been tempted to order and try but most accounts make it seem near impossible.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the compliment but my beds are atrocious! Everything worth anything is in pots waiting for me to tear up and redesign the planters! My hat is off to drdon and his incredible project.....I wish he was MY husband....I have to do all my own digging and building! And I'm with you Molly......... WOW 8ft!

Karen

Here's another blue.....Echium candicans / Pride of Madeira....
(not mine, pic taken along a country road)

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

So are those a weed around there? Wouldn't be surprised and I even like the foliage.

Have you ever seen the Texas Blue Bonnets when entire fields lite up? Talk about "Kodak Moments" !!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Aren't the Texas Bluebonnets the same as the Lupines of New Hampshire? We went up for the big Lupine Festival a few years ago - so amazing to see acres and acres of them. The stuff that dreams are made of.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

You all want blue? You got blue here!
I have several delphiniums that are just gorgeous.
Tho with the rain we have had the past few days, I have had to stake them up 4 times so far.
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is one that is pale blue. Very dainty looking.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is my purple/blue penstomen. It didn't do much last year but this year it has taken off. The cats even have made a path thru it to get to their sleeping area.
Just thought I would show what I had blue in my yard right now.
Carol

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Carol. They are fabulous. I only have one little dwarf Delphinium growing in an alpine trough. I'll post a picture of it in my next round.

Saya, your geranium is magnificent. How big is it?

Lenjo, I have a gorgeous ceanothus, but it was finished blooming at least a month ago, if not two. Next year I'll post some pictures of it, along with something really choice I bought this year: five different types of blue (not purple!) rhododendrons. They're still babies so they didn't bloom this year, but next year they should get going and they will be amazing. I bought them from Sonoma Horticultural Nursery, where they grow into massive bushes more than 15 feet high and wide. Of course, they have the room for that. They have 8 acres and I only have half an acre so I hope they're slow growers.

8ftbed, I am also jonesing for a blue poppy, but have been too intimidated by the seemingly impossible growing instructions. Besides, they tell you to do inconceivable things, such as removing all the flower buds the first year. No way could I do that!! For one thing, it would give the gophers a whole other year to find it. I have trouble being a proper gardener because I'm really not ruthless enough. My pathways are always filled with flowers I can't bear to pull up. Makes walking through the garden difficult at times.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Carol - great stuff! That makes it real hard not to pull delph pics from previous years. If you like delphiniums then surely you have some larkspur growing. I'm still a few weeks away I think before they start chiming in.

Zuzu - oh yeah, don't let them bloom the first year. Just goes against the grain, doesn't it. If (when) I finally got some I doubt I could disbud. I've kind of ignored that same advice for the first year on fruit trees as well. In fact 2 peaches I put in last spring bloomed this spring... got some little fruit coming now. I'm with you on the volunteers. If I don't recognize a seedling as a definite weed, I let it go and see. Besides letting larkspur, belles of ireland and sunflowers move around, volunteer petunia and celosia have been some very nice surprises.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

8ftbed, pull those pics from previous years! We want to see blue flowers. We don't care when they were blooming. Disregard the name of this thread whenever necessary, by all means. I have a beautiful new clarkia (breweri) that's pink, and I'll probably include a photo of it in the next round.

Edited to ask whether anyone has a Dichorisandra, which is something I'm lusting for. I'm on the Plant Safari waiting list for one, but I'd love to hear from anyone else growing it and see some photos if possible.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2005 11:44 PM

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

They're done now (and looking a bit floppy) but here's my Pulmonaria Trevi Fountains for a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Baptisia in bloom now....

Thumbnail by sstateham
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Until I saw the baptisia I had forgotten all about mine: only passed it at least 20 times yesterday. Guess I get distracted easily or else I'm on "a mission" and stay so focused on a gardening job that I'd miss Elvis if he showed up to help me out.

LOVE THAT DELPHINIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, I walk by my Baptisia too. Can take a pic of it but it is still very small. Got it from a propagation class last fall.
Thanks about the delp.
I have to go out again today to stake them. It finally has stopped raining solid.
8ftbed, I have been looking at larkspurs. I need to do them maybe next year then. This is the 2nd year for the delph. and they sure have performed. I got seed from some of them and are growing seedlings too now. So hope they will look as good as their parents next year.
Carol

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Ok, I'll play too. I Love Blue Flowers:
Bluebird Clematis

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Blue Pansies

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Get your seeds and throw them around where you want them this fall.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

So THAT's where Elvis is!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oldflowergirl,
I had started seeds of Blue pansies this late winter and they aren't blue. They are a very dark purple. Was kind of disappointed. The picture on the package shows just like your pansies.
Did you grow them from seeds or buy the plant?
Carol

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Clerodendrum Ugandense

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

daisyruffles, I bought them as plants. They are a true blue which is a treat. Pansies are a fav of mine. Always happy. Even in the rain, above. I also have purple blotch, purple velvet and yellow blotch. Big blooms. Love 'em.
I wish my blue delphiniums were all open, But they are just starting, so only the top ones are blooming so far. They are a pretty blue too. I also tried something new this year. I started some Catananche (Blue Cupid's Dart) They are doing well, but still no blossoms. I'll sure post photos when they do. :)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

BTW, I sure love your delphiniums, daisyruffles! :D

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks.
I have a pink and violet delphniums too, tho the colors isn't as brilliant as the blue one. They even flops over more than the blue ones do for some reason. Stems aren't as sturdy, I guess.
I love pansies too. I have quite a few now in a bed that get shade in the late afternoon and they have overwintered since winter of 2003 so far. The colors of them give me a lift in the wintertime when it is so cold and dark out, they are still blooming.
Never heard of Catananche. Will look forward to seeing the flower.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here are some violas, close to pansies, DR:

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I also have lots of violas too in many different colors.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I love Baptisia, and Delphiniums (mine aren't open yet), Woodland Phlox , Catmint, and Angelonia.

OldFlowerGirl- I grew the Clerodendrum Ugandense last year. It is spectacular! Mine grew about 6-8 feet tall. Just don't brush up against it- it smells awful.

Here's my blue selection ('scuse my thumb):

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Zuzu, with your permission? Someone slipped some blues/purples/lavenders in here. May I share some of these as well?

Balloon Flower. I picked these up the other day at 88 cents a piece.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Queen Fabriola

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Verbena

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Another Verbena

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And a little Mona Lavender I received cuttings of. Finally took root and showing flowers.

OldFlowerGirl, I received a Clero Ug in a trade last month and am so looking forward to those blue flowers.

Thank you ZuZu

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc

I forgot about this one. I recently had it identified as a Blue Ginger. I had to move it to the shady corner of the garden, and the bloom still kept on.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

All lovely flowers. I feel like I am on a Garden Tour! LOL

Ivy1, what is the name of that deliate looking blue flower? Thanks for the tip about Ugandense. Right now, My two plants are babies, but if they ever get big enough, I'll remeber not to get too close. :(

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Molly, I think your blue ginger might be the Dichorisandra I was wondering about. How tall is it? Throw in as many purples and lavenders as you like. In fact, throw in something orange if it's irresistible. I just bought a Streptosolen and I'm curious to see what I might be able to expect. It looked great on the Website.

Ivy, how did your clero ug grow to 6-8 feet in your zone? Was it in a pot? Mine always die the minute the temperature dips below 32. I have to grow them as annuals.

Sstateham, love that pulmonaria!

Oldflowergirl, your blue pansies are incredible! The clematis is gorgeous too. I have grown Catananche every year for the last 10 or 15 years, but I have to keep it in pots because it's a gopher magnet.

Zuzu,

Yep you got the Blue Ginger, right on the money. This one is just a touch over 4 feet. I had it in the full morning sun and the bottom leaves were a bit crispy. Now that I moved it into the shade and dappled shade area, it's looking much happier.

Thanks for letting me share. :^)))

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

These are my old fashioned blue hydrangeas. Jenny

Thumbnail by sh1025
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

and my Teller Blue or Blaumeise hydrangea

Thumbnail by sh1025
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

All of your blues are great, heres one of my blue geranium sp?

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

And an allium..

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.