Blue flowers blooming now

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I promised Jamie68 that I would do this a long time ago. I love blue flowers and I know I'm not alone. I'm posting some of the blue flowers that were blooming in my garden one morning at the end of May. Some of them are annuals and probably don't belong in this forum, but they reseed so lavishly that they are more "perennial" than most perennials.

Please go out in your own gardens and take pictures of the blue flowers to contribute to this thread.

This is Sanicula caerulescens. It's been blooming since February and is still going strong.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Delft Blue, a Dutch iris.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's Corydalis elata.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is an annual, Heliophila longifolia. It has a nice trailing habit.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a nice blue penstemon.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Aristea dichotoma.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Anagallis, an annual. The cement blocks set right down on the driveway are my latest attempt to foil the gophers.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Jamie, you may have noticed that I found a cure, or a semi-cure, for my photo uploading problem. These are taking only two minutes instead of six or seven because I had been sending pics with three times the recommended number of pixels before.

This is Nigella, an annual you only have to plant once. I planted one of these a zillion years ago and now it's everywhere.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice pond iris, name unknown, probably laevigata.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Centaurea montana. On second thought, this is probably too purple for a blue thread, but it's so pretty.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Phacelia, one of the prettiest blue annuals.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Of course, whenever there isn't enough blue somewhere, I just fill the space with Lobelia.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

But the very prettiest blue thing in the garden that morning was Chantilly's eyes.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Zuzu,

You have a lot of blue flowers out there. They are lovely!

You inspired me to make the rounds this morning and I found I only have 1 blue flowering plant. I do have 2 Black and Blue Salvia, but only one is blooming today. hmmmmm

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

All are lovely! I'm also a huge fan of blue tones and will post a few blues in our gardens once it gets light outside....lol. Ahh, the life of a horse rancher.

Zuzu, I've got something that looks like Phacelia, it would be great if you can verify this for me.

best,
Don

Hurry Dr Don!!!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Lovely blue flowers - especially the blue Heliophila. I'd like that one growing on the white clematis on the dog's fence.

I'll go look but would blue Iris or blue columbine qualify?

I would say YES, show us your blues Pirl!!! Do you agree ZuZu?

:^))))

Okay, but first I have to learn to delete photos from my digital - the first time for me. Need to make room - lots of room. I'll take photos later and post them tonight. Thanks for the encouragement: sometimes I just think we're all plant enablers!

Pirl,

Here's a quick photo delete lesson. Don't waste the battery in your camera. Put your chip in the port (or usb plug) bring the pictures up to see. right click on the one to delete, choose delete and it's done. wahhhhlaaahhh

:^)))

Molly: telling an old woman like me to put her chip in the port, etc. is liking talking Greek to a baby. I know what the chip is and where it is in the camera and beyond that I'm in limbo. I thank you for trying but must go out before it gets to 90 degrees. Have to get the remainder of the gardening done so we can zip off to Cape Cod for a few days. I really wouldn't mind using up the battery today so I could recharge overnight.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Nobody else has forget me nots blooming?? LOL In the blue family, right now, I only have those and Nigella. :)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

This is my current favorite blue.....Salvia 'Black & Blue'

(Edited....Thanks Molly! That was LAST year.....they're about 8" tall now and I just can't wait to see what they do this year!!!!)

This message was edited Jun 7, 2005 9:48 AM

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl

Kachina,

I hope when my Black & Blue grows up, it will be as pretty as yours.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

...although....I'm also very fond of my Salvia 'Blue Queen'....

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

...and then there's those lovely "no-name" mini iris in spring.....

LOL I just LOVE blue flowers too!

K :~D

This message was edited Jun 7, 2005 9:48 AM

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Blue is good! It's bright outside now but I'm going to contribute.
Kachina - I've started to get that black and blue salvia several times... didn't... now I'm sorry.

brb and zuzu - nicccce!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

The bluest of blue (that I have). Anchusa Azurea.... even in bright sun they just pop neon blue. Unfortunately I've lost a clump each of the last 2 years so I'm down to one. I'm letting it set some seed this year and see if I can get some backups going.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Azure Blue, it's luscious! Very pretty

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

a volunteer from original columbines that are verrrry close to being blue.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

light blue iris with johnson's 'blue' geranium in the background

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

closeup of the iris but she's much prettier first thing in the morning

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

8ft, I love your gardens............it's a jungle out there. I love it!!!!!

Molly

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Well come on by. We've got your weather today. Humidity and heat and things in mulched beds are wilting and giving me bad looks.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yes...... not in bloom yet but this Blue Bird hibiscus is a favorite and I hear a sport of her is even bluer. I'm cheating... this was last year.

Delphiniums are just around the corner but not blooming yet, so I won't post past glories.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2005 2:16 PM

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

8ft, it is hot here and humid, but it's overcast waiting to bust wide open again.

It's been raining constant for over a week. I can never remember when it is truly the "rainy season" down here and I don't think anyone else does either. So....if it's raining, then it must be the rainy season.

My poor hibiscus babies are making buds, but they get so heavy with wet, they fall off. Oh for a little sunshine.

Molly

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow!! What an exciting thing to wake up to this morning. Looks like I struck a chord.

Pirl, "close to blue" is welcome, of course. In fact, if you have anything irresistible that's close to pink or orange, I want to see that too. DrD, post a pic of that possible phacelia. I never get my fill of phacelia pictures. Kachina & 8ftbed, you have incredible gardens. Hang in there, Molly. Hope the rain stops soon so we can see some photos of yours.

Anchusa is the bluest of the blue at this point. I didn't get my camera until March this year, after the Gentiana verna and acaulis had bloomed. Those would have won hands down. Oh, well. There's always next year for those and for the forget-me-nots, which are pretty much finished in my garden for now. Badseed, post some pics of yours if they're still active. Brugaddict, are there any blue brugs?

The blue iris flower went limp and I'm hoping more will open by early tomorrow morning so I can snap a quick picture and get it to you before we leave. Otherwise there are many buds to go and I'll snap next Monday morning. Just got in from planting and I'm beat!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Have any of you ever grown the ceanothus, California Lilac? I have three large shrubs in the garden and they are mass of blue right now. Sorry no picture. And my delphiniums are in full bloom. I really the anagallis monelli and the anchusa. I have never had any luck getting that to winter through.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Campanula latifolia is blooming now

Thumbnail by saya

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.