Jungle Porch

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

My husband took these pictures of me today after church. Can you believe how many plants I've accumulted? I don't know what I'm going to do when it's time to bring them inside for the winter.

http://jjohnson433.photosite.com/jungleporch/

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Heya jdee,
Your porch and you look beautiful! Congrats!
You have come a long way with all your plants.

In the winter you might try wrapping the porch with heavy plastic to protect them from the winter. If it gets really cold there then you could place them all together & put blankets over them???
Or you could just have a jungle room in the house like most of us do..lol

Beautiful work!

MsC

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Lovely picture of you and your jungle. I think MsC's idea is the one that most of us do. I sure have to...lol.
:) Donna

Absolutely lovely collection of plants Jdee. When you do bring all your lovely plants in for the winter, don't forget to treat them all with an insecticidal soap to kill any creepy crawlies beforehand. You don't want those in your house! Despite the great live cat toys they'd make...lol.
Christine

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Great pictures...I wish I had that many plants, but just give me a year or so! BTW silly question but what do you wash your face in? I would kill to have that clear of skin.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Dove foaming face wash, aveeno, ponds,,,,whatever I have a coupon for. lol It just had to be the foaming face wash, because the cream cleansers make me feel greasy. Thank you for the nice compliments.

I think I may just have to have a jungle room, and close it off from the cats. I haven't caught Annie or Merlin doing it, but Abby likes to chew.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I just took some indivisual pictures of some of my newer plants. We bought them when we were in Alabama on vacation. I couldn't believe how much healthier and more beautiful the plants are there than they are here. I guess it's because of all the humidity. I just THOUGHT it was humid here. lol

This first one I love. It's a grape ivy, and I haven't been able to find one anywhere here.

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

The label on this one just says "peperomia" but doesn't say what variety. Does anyone know?

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

a solid green wandering jew...

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

a small table fern. This is from Walmart, and look how healthy it is....

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

And lastly, a purple heart. Now I did get this one here before we left. I was told that this plant is in the wandering jew family. Is that true?

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I hope I don't bore ya'll with all these pictures. I just love to show my plants, and I'm not surrounded by plant lovers, so yall end up getting to hear my ramblings. lol

Well, you sure are surrounded by plant lovers here! No one's going to say, "Stop, don't show us any more plants!!" Lovely plants jdee. Can't help you with the pepperomia ID though, but I have one similar.
Christine

Walhalla, SC(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Ceedub!! I have a screened in porch that all my plants are on. Its a lovely place to sit and relax! Dont you agree? Absolutely Lovely!
Jaimee

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

jdee,
love the plants and your porch and the lady ain't bad either!
Yes, the purple heart setcreasea/ Tradescantia pallida is in the same family as wandering jew.
Is yours in shade? If so, it will lose its purple color and turn green. But a little time in the sun "purples" it back up in a few days. Mine does that when I bring it in for the winter.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure. I guess I need to pay attention to the amount of shade that's under that tree. I think it gets dappled sunlight, but I'll make sure. Thank you so much.

Jdee,
Check the link below and see if the plant files pic matches your peperomia( minus the white flowers in the pic). If it doesn't match that one, then if you could please post a pic of the leaf a little closer up, then I'd be glad to hunt it down for you, if I can. I have a few peperomias, too. But none of mine are that well grown.:)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/51239/

MsC

MsC, yes, it could be the scandens, but I think I see stripes on some leaves, so could be an extremely healthy watermelon peperomia too. I agree, we need to see the leaves up close and personal. Jdee?

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Here ya go. From a distance, I thought it was philodendron, but the leaves are shinier and much thicker.

Thumbnail by jdee

What do you think MsC, looks like a P.Scandens - perhaps the larger leaves only happen in young plants. Mine resembles the PF pictures, but I remember that the leaves were larger when it was a "youngun", more closely resembling Jdee's here.

Yes I think so to. Looks so close to P.Scandens and it's nick name is 'False Philodendron', so unless someone comes up with a better ID I'd say you got it.

Jdee, just a note: try not to over water that beauty like I did mine:( they seem to be more of a succulent than I knew...lol

Very Pretty!

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Jdee,

You, your plants and your porch are beautiful! Your plants look so happy. I absolutely love your variegated spider plant. I always love looking at pictures of other people's plants--makes me strive to make my plants look that good!

And it is actually MORE humid in Alabama? My family and I have been in Galveston and San Antonio this week and the humidity is killing me! My husband and I joked that everyone must garden at night! Humidity aside, I love Texas and the ability to grow so many tropicals with the extended growing season.

PlantMom

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I thought the same when I saw that PlantMom...Paris Tx must be dry...*G* jdee come on down to Orange and I'll let ya see humidity. Hope you had a great trip to Alabama, I hope to get to go for a few days in Aug. (DH has business in Rome, GA) so if I play my cards right I can play while he has to work and then he can swing back through Auburn and N. Alabama and pick me up.

Saint

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually, I thought we were pretty humid here. Paris is about 100 miles NE of Dallas. Not as humid as South Tx, but more so than West Tx. Anyway, I was serious about the difference in plant quality. I didn't even buy these plants at a nursery. I got the grape ivy and the fern at Walmart, and the other two at Lowes. Actually, I don't buy many plants at nurseries anymore, even thought I love to go to them and look.

Yes, I had a great time in Alabama. Did you see my pictures I posted in the Prayers forum?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Nope, I'll have to go look. I'm glad you had a good time.

Saint

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's the link.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/514992/

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Jdee,

Your vacation pictures are beautiful. The Mississippi River IS beautiful. I actually had the opportunity to swim in it at a vacation home owned by one of my relatives. I am fascinated by any water. I always feel more at peace around any water and am able to relax (my husband thinks I'm highstrung!!!). Anyhow, glad you had a great time and your hair looks great!

BTW, your kitties helping "unpack" is adorable. I imagine your cats were very happy you were home. I don't think our cat ever ran so fast as she did last night when we pulled into the driveway.

PlantMom

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Plantmom. Yes they were very happy to have us home. My niece did a great job taking care of them. In fact she told me that she would spend her lunch breaks over here. That made me glad to know they had some company as well as someone to feed them and scoop thier box.

That must have been a great experience to swim in the Mississippi. I think I'd have been too scared. I prefer just looking at water, and feeling that peace that comes from being around it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.