Question About Prayer Plant

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a friend who has a red veined prayer plant. She's had it for about 1 1/2 to 2 years now. It was in a basket of plants that were sent for her cousin's funeral. She has never gotten around to repotting this beautiful plant. What type of soil does it prefer, water requirements once repotted? She's afraid if she doesn't repot it soon she'll lose it forever. For her this plant along w/ the other 3 mean a great deal to her. I think she let them go for so long because she was afraid she'd kill them if she repotted. Any help would be appreciated.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Perhaps if you do a google.com search for it's botanical name: Maranta leuconeura, you will find the information you seek. I just grow mine in regular good potting soil and water it once a week or less. It gets fertilized about once a month. I have it in a south-facing window and it seems to do great.

Sounds good to me. I just didn't want to kill any of the plants since they mean so much to her. It's really weird that none of them has gotten much bigger, yellowed, or died. She does water them regularly and such but that's it. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Ok the job is done and they looked happier after they got their new home. I even got some of each plant to take home with me for my help. I get to go back and get cuttings from her mom's christmas cactus. Her mom is a sweetheart of a person. She's got the greenest thumb of anyone I've ever met. I manged to take a camera with me to get before and after shots of the plants. I even took pictures of other plants she has at the house. When I get them developed tomorrow I'll work on posting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.