What kind of bug is it?

(Zone 5a)

I know that the bug is some type of beetle but what kind I don't know? It has a beautiful color a bluish-green and the shell is very hard. I need to know the name of this bug and how to control it, it is eating my scented geraniums.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...perhaps a Japanese Beetle?

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Horseshoe, I think that you are right. I was asking a friend and they said the same thing.

Clarksville, MD

Japanese Beetles have no natural enemies in the USA. The only way I know to control Japanese Beetles, once they're in beetle form, is to take a jar (about pickle jar sized), fill it halfway with kerosene, and hold the open jar under the beetles as they munch on your plants. The beetle passes out, falls into the kerosene, and drowns.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

ok the lowdown on Jap beetles..You can trap them in beetle traps. This will nly trap mail beetles, but knocks the population doem some. For long term control, you can try Milky Spore. The grubs live in your yard and eat grass roots. I saw a Blue Jay eating the beetles off my apple tree. He didn't get enough of them. I try to avoid chemicals, but sevin does work on them.

puttyrat

Trenton, MI

Traps can be effective, but be cautious with any that use bait...you can actually be attracting unwanted beetles to your yard with baits! I have been told that baited traps can attract beetles from miles around!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.