Lilies and Daylilies!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks all for the nice words :-) But I'll be stuck with marigolds while the rest of you have your lily season in full swing! Not that marigolds aren't pretty .....

It is good you can remember what you planted, Susan....I can remember what but then can't match the plants that sprout to what they are until they bloom. The daylilies at least came with labels wired to them!

Pirl, the red one is either Red Volunteer or Chicago Ruby. Both are supposed to get about 30" tall, but mine are a lot taller than that. Another ones that has a huge flower and is also tall is Mary's Gold - I would say mine are abut 40-45" tall on that also. On the other hand, I have some "Notorious" red daylilies that are supposed to be over 30" but might be 2' at most. Oh well :-) I deadhead as I go but cannot imagine 1000 deadheads per day!

Shirley, my callas are almost all in full sun and most have already sent up flower stalks.They've returned and flowered 3 years running now, and I really don't do ANYthing special to them. I planted some calla seeds and they all appear to have sprouted! I do fertilize with a high-phosphorous fertilizer pretty regularly, though.

mgh, I have a holly that is out of place in my yard but my friend talked me out of pulling it. It just kind of sat there and did nothing the first two years it was in my bed, and this year has just taken off - though like you I am not crazy about hollies in general. Oh well I can't bring myself to kill it....

Another calla flower popped out in my plant in front...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Not the showiest callas around, but the flowers keep coming back. This is in an area exposed to hot sun all day long - and I always thought callas were supposed to have some shade.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This oepned today, and looks like an Orienpet - a very clear light yellow, almost eggshell - smells nice and the flower is huge but the picture really doesn't do the color justice

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Looking towards back yard

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This trumpet is almost 7 ft tall this year

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

My mother has had some callas come back for 4 yrs now here in Zone 6. They are in a rather protected nook next to the foundation on the WNW side of her house. After seeing her luck I planted some at my old house last year and they bloomed wonderfully. They are now about a foot tall at the old house and are on the E side next to the chimney for warmth in winter. We have had mild winters all of this time though and a bad winter may do them in.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

A new Orienpet opened...

Well Brenda shows what microclimates can do. People on both extremes can probably grow things not normally considered for their zones if the conditions are right. That's great your mom got them to overwinter.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Corte Madera, CA

that is perfection, steve.

i hope costco carries more lilies next buying season. i am definitely planting more. on the ground this time.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks moonglow - just commented in the other thread about your peony pics. I love that last one.

Corte Madera, CA

will it be safe for mailing after it blooms? foliage and all?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow....gorgeous Steve! Do tell its name....need to sharpen my pencil and put that on my Fall shopping list.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Moonglow - you talking about your peony? I think you have to wait until fall to pull it. Who you sending it to? :-)

Brenda, it is called "Satisfaction" I think. I got it from Wayside - it is an Orienpet and the flowers are HUGE. Here's another shot

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Chiantis against the house

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I cut this rose bush all the way down about a month or so ago due to a serious case of blackspot, and boy has it rebounded!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I think this is "Conca d'Or"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

A dahlia returning from last year!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another Orienpet

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Wow, SteveFtWorth that Satisfaction is marvelous....have now added it to my find list....hopefully I'll have some nice pics when the lilies get to blooming here...only a few with buds so far. Oh, and 2 pixies that I bought in a pot have already bloomed.
Sue

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Gladioli

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow Steve, you trimmed that rose only a month ago? It looks great.

A bunch more of my 'First Lady' lily have popped open in the last few days.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2005 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by mgh
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another shot

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks mgh, and those "First Ladies" of yours are beautiful. I love the color combination and contrast

Thaks Sue - yeah I like it too, I'll have to get more for next year!! Oh well, you'll have lilies blooming in August when mine are all finished!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ahhhh.....Satisfaction! What a great name for a beautiful lily. And the name of the very pale yellow orienpet right before the glad pics, Steve?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Steve--just found your wonderful Lily pics. So beautiful and joyful to have a peak into your garden. I especially love your lilies with the hollyhocks. What a lovely combination.

You've given me lots of ideas for my garden. Thanks for posting (once again!). t.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Why thank you, tabasco. I was really pleased with the way the hollyhocks came up as well. I just threw down seeds, too. They seem to grow really well here. I planted some along the side of my house a few years ago, and they have returned each year and multiplied dramatically by throwing seeds. The hollyhock is a very easy plant to germinate from seed - often without even planting, just scattering them. I planted some "doubles" last fall (seeds) and I LOVE the way they look. Unfortunately, we had some kind of freak storm the other night with 60+ mph winds, and it knocked several of them over, Trashed my umbrella over my table, as like an idiot I left it open - but I didn;t know it would storm - anyway I had to go to Home Depot and get another one of those, too! The liliums are VERY strong in high wind conditions - none were damaged at alll - and last year we had 80 mph gusts one day, and not so much as a damaged petal.

Thanks Brenda - I like it too - and I love the way more and more Orienpets are coming out. A great lily for my climate as it tolerates high heat much better than most Orientals do. HMM that pale one might be Ortega - I am trying to remember if I bought that from B&D last fall or not. I know I have Conca d'Or. It's too pale to be a Futura, since I've grown those for awhile and I know what they look like. I buy about 90% of my lilies from B&D, and I was just looking on their site to remind me. I need to start labeling them!!!!!!

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 2:27 PM

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Rose of Sharon blooming

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Futuras

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This was blooming in front today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

These yellow Asiatics were blooming in front today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

How's this for orange

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Mary's Gold - this is the most phenominal daylily. Tall, too - over 3 ft.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another view of "Satisfaction"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Either Philos or Maribelle

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Great pictures of some really fantastic flowers Steve, Thanks !

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thank you Ililyfan :-)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More Silk Roads

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Orange Vols" daylily opened today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Chicago Star" daylily - HUGE flowers

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Silk Road is breath takingly beautiful. I really like the orange one too.

Susan

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I thought this was a Muscadet but it has greenish streaks on it still as it is opening!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.