Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Yellow asiatics

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Daylilies are coming up now as well

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I know these aren't true lilies, but these "Barbara Mitchells" are coming back fantastically well this year - muuch better than last!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This is either "Maribelle" or "Philos" - not sure which

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another view of back border

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

These opened today!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

These did as well - almost 4 ft tall

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another view

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Sacramento"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Most of the liliums are still budding out

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another angle

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My callas have returned every year!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Chiantis starting to bloom

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Took this looking into back yard yesterday!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Back corner

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Trumpets

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Love this color :-)

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What a wonderful back yard. Sigh...!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Moby :-) seems to require a lot of my attention to keep from looking nappy, though! It's wayyyy crowded and I can't help it!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Steve, what a lovely garden you have! Thanks so much for sharing those pics. I love the "crowded" look! That's how I garden too. I bought 5 more daylilies today and don't really know where I'm gonna put them. ;-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Steve, your yard is gorgeous! Chiantis is a lovely pink one. Really like the calla lilies too. That is something that has never done well for me here.

Susan

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, Steve! It's wonderful to see a garden in full bloom again. I just wish it was mine. :-D

You've given me some good ideas on bed design in this new big yard I have. I've been trying to decide what I want to do to run some very long, winding beds in the side yards. Those retaining blocks will be just the thing I think.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks mgh, Susan & Brenda - I want to see your lily gardens as they bloom, too! I am surprised the Callas kept coming back as well. I wasn't sure they'd even overwinter here much less stand up to the summer sun. I agree on the Chiantis, Susan - and they keep multiplying and getting better each year.

mgh - I am seriously hearing you on the daylilies - but you know there is hardly a plant out there that gives you so much back for so little effort. My problem is I plant things and space them based on how they look when they're young - forgetting how big some things will get and that they'll need room!

Brenda, you have a great template to work with at your new place, and I like the idea of a long winding bed. My yard is pretty small, so I'm kind of limited in what I can do - though I wish I could add more "contour" to it. I bet yours will be spectacular next year.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Chiantis today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My first bloom this year of "Mary's Gold" - this has got to be the most phenominal daylily I have ever seen. It is huge and brilliant.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Buttered Popcorn" is similar to Mary's gold but less "gold" - great bud counts though

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Corte Madera, CA

i love them all steve! i can't even pick a favorite!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Just gorgeous Steve. What a wonderful garden.

Steve, we sound a lot alike. I space mine the same way....how they look when they are young. I just don't like the empty look while I'm waiting for them to multiply! I am planning to get rid of a holly bush that gives me nothing but trouble, so I will have room for the hydrangea and the daylilies I bought the other day. I'm thinking of getting rid of a couple of azaleas too.....more room for things I like better!

This is the second lily that has opened for me.....'First Lady.' The other one that opened is supposed to be 'Tropical Dream', but it is really faded out. I'll post it when another one opens and I can get a fresh pic of it.

Thumbnail by mgh
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Doodlebug and Moonglow....it is hard to decide isn't it? hehe I am the same way.

That's a very pretty lily, mgh - I like pink Asiatics. Isn't "Tropical Dream" a trumpet? I would be surprised that it blooms this early! I guess I have a bunch of "Summer Palaces" open, so maybe it's not too early. I like it when the different varieties overlap. On the "crowded garden" syndrome we both have, it's always good when you can find a reason to get rid of one thing to justify the others you bought! My problem is that I have a hard time killing just about any plant other than weeds, so I just tend to leave them!

My first "Futura" opened today - I have found this to be a fantastically well-perennializing Orienpet for me. One of my very favorite lilies.

This message was edited May 30, 2005 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

A broader shot

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Lilium "Maribelle"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I don't know what these are!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another clump of Chianti

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Buttered Popcorn" from Oakes - 2nd spring. Terrific bud counts and huge flowers.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow! Buttered Popcorn sure does look like it has a terrific bud count! I think I planted a Futura last fall. It pretty bad when I can remember what I planted. At least I think I got all the new ones labeled. You have some real beauties.

Susan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Steve - love all of your photos and plants. I especially love the photo of the very first one you posted - the way the pollen matches the brick: magical.

Now the one red one that's 4' tall is what I have to start collecting. From now on only the tall ones. They'd be so much easier on the back to deadhead! The low babies need to find another home. We deadhead every day and for the big three days around July 14-15-16 we count as we go and get more than 1000 deadheads for the compost each day.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Your garden is alive with color this Spring! I know you must really be enjoying it!

Where are your Calla Lilies planted? Full, Pt. Sun, or Shade? Sure wish mine would come back! So far they've been a "no show".

Steve,
Thanks, Steve. I have 'Tropical Dream' listed as an asiatic. The folliage looks like an asiactic. As for killing the plants, I think I found a home for my azaleas with my sister, but the holly is going in the yard waste. I have been wanting to get rid of it for the last year now and haven't done it because I felt bad about killing it just as you said you don't like to do. I have asked people if they want it, but no one has said yes.

I really like your 'Maribelle', 'Chianti' and your unknown white one.......soooooo pretty!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.