sempervivums,jovibarbas,rosularias, and orostachys

Burlington, ON(Zone 6b)

I am a semi-professional grower from Canada of these plants (+ some dwarf sedums), and have about 620 varieties.
Has anyone imported plants by mail from Canada, and/or know what your state's requirements are? - such as a phytosanitary certificate or permit. Thanks.
p.s. Can answer your questions on these succulents.

You can ALWAYS ask about succulents. I know of three of the most knowledgeable folks being truly open and helpfull in the general catagories of Aloe, Crassula, and Sansavieria. Plus others who have all sorts of experience with specific plants.

I have always felt the only Stupid Question was the unasked one. Plus, we all love to hear what others are growing, or even having trouble with. Makes us feel less miserable if we are having a similar problem.

I am still a big chicken about mailing plants, so I would have no information for you about national requirements. I am fairly sure that seeds can go anywhere, restrictions here involve soil. But, that's all the info I have.

Hope to see lots more posts from you.

Cena

Valley Village, CA

I know one thing that the Huntington Gardens does not mail to Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Australia and several other countries. We do mail to Europe, through our British contact with all the photo, permits, etc. whatever is required. The Huntington does not receive plants from Canada, but we do from Switzerland and Africa. Permits, of course. I hope this has been of some help.
I have been working at the Huntington as an volunteer for the past 8 years. Norma Lewis

near Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

You have email. John

Valley Village, CA

John Trager may be of some help to you. He does not open email from people he does not know. I would post him a letter first, or call him. John Trager is the curator of the Desert Collection at the Huntington Gardens, San Marino, Calif. All of the material must have documentation, country of origin, location data, author, etc. If you have some extreme forms of Semps. he would be interested. I could be an intermediate for you. Send close up pictures, slides would do fine,yes I have done this before. Norma

You have more email. Regards John

Valley Village, CA

All plants entering or leaving the U.S. most go through Photosanitary. We don't want your bugs, and you certainly don't want ours. It will be a big bother mailing in or out of Canada, this is why the Huntington doesn't do it. Plants that we mail within our own borders are fine as long as no soil is sent, no roots.

Now have I answeared your quetion completly? Norma

Burlington, ON(Zone 6b)

Hi Norma,
I thought I answered an earlier thread on this subject, but
mind and memory are becoming fallible! Yes the phytosanitary
certificate requirements hinder the trade between our countries, but of course are necessary. Fortunately there is enough business within Canada to keep very busy.
Zone 10 eh? hmmm wish we could trade Februarys....
thanks Jack

Jack, Received plants noon Friday. Very nice plants Jack, thank-you. Will email later . Regards John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.