a simple lil ole question bout wondering jew???

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I trimmed my wondering jew cause it was getting really leggy and i want it more bushy on the top and sides...but what i was wondering is if i can just put those cuttings in the top of the dirt with some rooting compound or should i put them in water and let them root? I will keep them in water till i hear otherwise...

Thanks,

Char :o)

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

Char you can do it either way I've found. Most of mine seemed to root faster in water then rooting powder and soil. Although these guys will root just about anywhere and anytime.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Char, I don't do anything! I just pinch & prune, then stick the cutting down into the soil with the rest--I have a bushel brimming with blooms right now that is probably 3/4's just stuck in cuttings. =)

MKJ

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Wandering Jew is one of my favorite plants, cause it's so easy. Here is a picture of one I had last year before it got it's winter hair cut.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

WOWOW Judy you could almost have 3-4 nice size plants there....mine is getting there...I love them as well....along with creeping charlie and my philo's....those are among my favorites

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I gave it a hair cut and sent out cuttings to half of DG lol lol Actually only to 11 people. Last October I sent out cuttings for postage. I was fun but I'm not going to do it again. Next time I'll just hold a plastic trash bag under it, box it up and ship it to someone as a surprise. The only problem is they make you but a return address on parcels now. lol lol I hae a weird sense of humor.

Some of my plants from last year.

www.puppygal.com/house.html

Can you post a picture of your Charlie?? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Judy

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ahhh, Judy!! Your Daisy Mae is the cutest, gruffest-looking bulldog girl I've ever seen! =) Darling!

And, I do the same thing giving my jew haircuts.......grab the Tom Thumb bag, scissors, and go chop! I've been sticking alot of it outside into pots, and it takes on a lovely deep coloring.

Nice of you to ship yours out. =)

MKJ

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

MKJ which Jew do you have?

I have 4 or 5 different kinds. I love them all!!!

Judy

Valley Village, CA

I have three or four with different coloring, they sure are easy, I use them under my beches to create humidity. Judy I didn't know that there were that many different. I have a maroon/green
plain green/ green and white, and I think a tri-color. Crasulady2

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Just saw this, Judy--sorry! I have the green and purple kind. It gets little purple blooms all the time. Have a pot FULL of it under a ficus, and tucked into underplantings all over the place..........=)

What kinds do you have? I've only seen a couple........there is one that looks slightly different than mine at a local greenhouse--white and green, versus purple......might have to get it, as a matter of fact..........=)

MKJ

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The thing about Wandering Jew is seldom can you find it at the nursery and ordering it online is outrageous. I think I probably have most of the varieties. Give me a few days and I'll take pictures.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I found this picture of mixed Wandering Jew that I took last year. The planter is amazing this year so I'll take another picture.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This is Silver also called Fuzzy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Neat planter! I do have the variegated Bolivian Jew too......love the stuff! I LOVE your idea of putting several together like that..........you may have a CopyCat in TX........;-)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Be my guest. It was an accident on my part. I had all these cuttings I needed to poke somewhere so I just threw them all in the same pot and it turned out to be my favorite pot.

Judy

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Judy that is just beautiful..i love my wondering jew. and my creeping charlier and spider plant...those are my favorites...If you or anyone has any of the green wondering jew cuttings that you can spare I would love some. I will pay shipping thru paypal.

Thanks

New York, NY

Hi, I have a purple and silver wandering jew and it is very bushy. I was wondering can I just take the plant from the pot and divide it, or would disturbing the roots cause harm to the plant? Thanks :)

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

spideretters,

Just snip what you want off and either put them in water or soil....it wont hurt the wonderng jew at all.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

It can be done either way, but normally cuttings are taken, unless it iis root bound then splitting the root ball is necessary.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.