Spring is in the air...Part 6

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Clematis seems to likeclimbing all over my fences, but the Delphiniums hate me. Gangly green & no flowers to speak of. Iris are finishing, peonies about done & daylilies are starting. I LOVE MY GARDEN!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lamb's Ears anybody? (LOL)

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Red Mums, Statice, reblooming iris and punica.

Thumbnail by doss
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! When my neighbor girl was about 3 years old, she would come over to my house and ask if she could pet my "Sheep's Tongues". LOL. At least she had the right animal.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Susan. Reminds me of when my niece told me about seeing the movie "Monkeys In The Nest". (gorillas in the mist)

Doss, you have interesting plant combos. Susan--enjoying your clean perenial photos. My beds look so empty now with the iris finsihing & the daylilies just starting. The Speedwell & daisys help fill in, but I miss my big clumps of iris blooms already.

I know what you mena about Lambs ears, but have you ever tried to control Soapwort? The darn stuff must be close to 30 inches this year & trying to spread in a 36 inch circle. Got to find a place where I can contain it better. I like the constant pink blooms and the butterflys it attracts.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Part of Shadegarden - southside..white Bleedingheart

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Close-Up of that lovely Bleedingheart..one of my favorits

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

One more shot

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

My Gardenshed at dusk last night

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Solomons Seal in front of shed

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

My mothers beloved Violets before she died.
My mother taught me all about Nature while growing up and always took me on Naturewalks to teach me about flowers,trees,animals.
When I was about 6 or 7 years old I wanted to make little Tussiemussies and sell them.It was my own idea,I picked them,made Tussiemussies and dared to go into a Flowershop with them ..hahaha..well they bought my whole basket full and wanted me to make more....my FIRST Bussiness adventure.
I have such fond memories of this that 2 weeks ago our youngest Granddaughter Julia ( 4 ) wanted to pick Violets.Ok..here it was raining buckets but we both bundled up,took an umbrella,giggled like 2 little girls,came into the house and I taught her how to make Tussiemussies.....her comment ...."Omi you are my BESTEST friend :-)

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Larger view of the shadegarden,behind it is a japanese quince..behind that new rosebushes

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Close-Up of Japanese Quince ? does anyone know the name of this ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

New Shadegarden - Northside..startet last Year

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

One more little sweetie...a Lady's slipper

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That was the sweetest story about you and Julia ~ and what higher compliment could a person ever receive than the one you got from her?? :)

This message was edited Jun 9, 2005 6:30 PM

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Moby,Thank You :-)
Julia was so proud of her accomplishment that she held her Tussiemussie for 2 1/2 hours back to Boston while she was sleeping.Then immediately when they got home getting out of the car she wanted to put them in water.The next day she took the violets to school for show-and-tell.I think it really made an Impression and I created fond memories.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Great pictures!! What a nice story about your granddaughter, she'll be telling her own children about that day some day... you are making wonderful memories for her. :-)

What is a tussiemussie?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Japanese quince = Chaenomeles japonica????
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/49917/index.html

PlantFiles says hardy only to 5a so that might not be it.

GREAT story, Eglantyne....but I'm also dying to know what a tussimussie is.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

A bouquet?

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=20&hl=en&c2coff=1&q=tussie+mussie&spell=1

edited to add.....

Ahhhhh, yes.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tussiemussie

This message was edited Jun 9, 2005 1:58 PM

Whoops! I thought I was wandering thru the Daylily Forum, Silly me.... Don't have any good daylilies to show you yet.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is my first real daylily! I bought 15 unnamed from ebay last fall, 5 broke ground this spring and my very first bloom is one of them... This bloom is so very far from perfect, but will probably be my favorite all time pic!... This bloom just added fuel to the simmering fire that I had... I liked daylilies before ... they were so pretty in the pics... but this one is different... it is mine, the fire just got huge... I am completely captivated with this bloom... I sound nutso, right?

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

It's beautiful, Starr. And no, you don't sound nutso to me! That's exactly how I felt when I got my first bloom last year. ;-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Congratulations on your first daylily bloom!! Now you know what all the excitment is about. Pictures just don't do them justice. I can't wait to get up every morning and make my daily rounds of all my flower beds to see what's open. Then I have to run and get my camera and take photos. Then I have to post them here, even if it's nothing special. Silly, but I can't help wanting to share them all!
Sometimes in the evening if I know I won't be outside anymore, I'll pick the blooms and take them inside and line them up on the coffee table or by the computer so I can admire them for just a few more hours. My only complaint about them is that I work the night shift and I can't take them to work to share them because they are finished by that time.

Susan

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought for sure you were talking about me, Susan, until I got to the part about the night shift.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Congrats Starr! I too run outside with my camera every morning to see what has bloomed, guess it's just part of the addiction!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's a nondaylily bloom that I've been waiting on for 2 years. It took a year from me to decide to pay almost $4 for a pack of seeds + shipping. It a Lauren's Grape poppy, I will save the seeds like a miser, LOL, I only had 4 plants sprout and I'd like to get enough to share.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's beautiful Vicki. I can hardly wait for mine to bloom, but they're just seedlings right now.

Part 7, anyone? http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/519102/#new

This message was edited Jun 10, 2005 3:50 PM

Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Here's what bloomed in my like yesterday....first grandbaby..Caston Michael...Janetlee

Thumbnail by janetlee50
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey Janet - I'm so glad she finally had that baby....I know you all are thrilled and I bet she is relieved!!! Congratulations Grandma :-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Congratulations ~ he's just cute as a button!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What a cute little profile! Congratulations grandma!

Susan

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

How precious!!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful baby. Congratulations. How about some Terracotta Million Bells for his birthday?

Thumbnail by doss
Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts. Doss I would love to have some Million Bells and would then be able to pass seeds along to mom and some day plant the seeds from this same plant with Caston...Thank you Janetlee

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Here's the correct link to Part 7........

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/519102/

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oops. Thanks Brenda!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh there is a new thread...Ok I 'll answer and post pictures on thread 7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.