Spring is in the air...Part 6

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Wanda - I went through 12 from Springhill to end up with 2 that lived!! The other 2 I have came from the 1st 2's seeds.

Teresa - I love Henryi, that's one I've been meaning to add. Those peonies are so pretty (that's the way I say it too) do you know the name of that reddish purple one? The only variety I have blooming is Sarah Bernhardt, I also bought a red from Walmart this spring, but the roots are so small I don't expect blooms for at least a couple of years.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You mean PEE-a-nees? :D

Thumbnail by Moby
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

What a cute little bug, Moby! BTW, that's the way I say it too! :D

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Isn't he cute? I love his stripey antennae.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I love Mobile Pink. Don;t have that one yet.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Indiana in a blanket of love in a mist

Thumbnail by cceamore
Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Bachalor Buttons and papirika yarrow

Thumbnail by cceamore
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Pretty pictures! I really like the colors in that first one.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Vicki

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Vicki, the peonies was at the Western KY Gardens. They had several. I have a white and pink, but the rain has beating them down. I need to add a red one. I like the coral and yellow but they are pricey.

I may try layering some of Henryi, there is several branches down on the ground.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

cceamore, I love your Love in a Mist! You have such a nice clump of them.

Susan

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I haven't gotten to take that many pictures this year, it's no fun being sick when so much is in bloom! But, here are a some I took a few minutes ago....

The peonies are huge and gorgeous this year. No idea what their names are, they were put in, much like many of my iris, long before I cared what the name of a plant was.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

clematis

Climbing roses, kinda sprawling instead of climbing... I want to get rid of these, but hubby likes them.

Some of the roses I have left a long the south side of the house.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Melissa--my peonies are the pits this year--hard frost as they were forming buds cut numbers &size of blooms drastically. Sigh. there's always next year...

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Teresa - I'm getting ready to try layering some of my Ramona clematis, hope we have good luck!
The rain beat up my peonies big time. They looked so good for a day or 2 and are now so sad :-(

Great pics Melissa - those peonies are beautiful! I like your "sprawling" rose ;-) do you know which one it is?

Vicki

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Vicki, if I have one extra, maybe we can trade.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Susan
If you want some seeds let me know and I will send you some.
Celeste
PS That is not all I have it has come up all over and then my neighbors got some too even across the road!LOL I am Johnny apple seed of love in a mist.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Currently my favorite peony

Thumbnail by Moby
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Teresa - sounds like a plan, hope they all root!

Moby - that sure is a purty bloom, what's it's name????

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Asian lilly ' KANSAS '
I like this one and I
was born in kansas

Thumbnail by tazzy
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A couple of more columbine to add - a lovely red one

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

And a very large blue one.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Tazzy - very pretty lilie, I can't wait for my to start blooming.

Cindy - just how many different columbines do you have???? They are beautiful.

Here is some Nigella (love in a mist) that reseeded from last year, I remembered it changing colors last year, but don't remember it being such a brilliant lavender. Is anyone familiar with these? It was sold as a mix, but they were all are the same, starting out almost a pale greenish white and changing to the darker lavender color. And to think I almost pulled them up, good thing I hit a lazy spell!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae

my Bird of Paridise .

this is suppose to be a bush but, I have been training
it in to small tree at last after 5 years i have it

Thumbnail by tazzy

now its about six feet and i can let it bloom
this was a hard project ? i had seen it done
but it only took about 2 years but they had
excellent soil and a water system in beds

Thumbnail by tazzy
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sadie, I have a lot of different colors. I did not plant most of them. I started out with maybe 4 or 5 different and now they come up all over the place. They are too pretty to pull out so I just let them naturalize.

I got some seeds of Nigella in a trade. Are they hard to grow?

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

For the original plants from last year, I started in peat pellets, they germinated quickly but they never got over about 12" tall. They have reseed themselves and are at least 2' tall this year. If I remember correctly, a few plants even sprouted in the beds before winter and survived. I'm not sure with zone 5, but I'd probably just direct seed if I needed to start over with them, don't know that I bother covering them either, just water them in. I must say, they reseed prolifically here.

Edited to say: If you need any more seeds, I'll have tons from all of these!

This message was edited May 27, 2005 10:10 PM

a lot of color today .
and look what i learn how to do ?
coleus , tropical hibiscus. day lily , clematis

Thumbnail by tazzy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Arn't you the smart one Tazzy! Very pretty! I use Preen on my flower beds and one problem with it is that I don't get to enjoy the plants that reseed themselves. I did plant a few Nigella that I started inside, but they have not bloomed yet. Cleome is one plant that seems to be able to get around the Preen. Maybe Nigella will be like that too.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Great columbine, hemlady.

Vicki ~ I believe that is 'Bowl of Beauty' peony.

Tazzy ~ you are so tricky and that is one funky bloom!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Things are fairly quiet in my garden right now. The very last of the TB Iris are finishing and only a couple daylilies are blooming. Columbine is still blooming, but starting to fall over and need trimmed back. Here is the last bloom on Xanthippe's Halo. I have started to like this one a lot. In the fore ground you can see the almost bloomed out flowers of Thalictrum auiligifolium. Behind the Iris is a Husker Red Penstemon I just moved there last fall and is still small. Valerian is blooming well behind, but all you can see is the foliage. Lilies are getting ready to bloom in a few weeks. Some of the Asiatics in other locations are going to bloom in the next few days.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I hadn't noticed that there was a part 6, so I'll put the pictures of our peonies here.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

And Another

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a red one. We have trouble getting good pictures of reds in any type flower. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Gingerjar, thanks for reposting them. They are just gorgeous! I have a hard time with pics of reds too. I tried to play with the colors on one of my picture programs last night, but the edges of the flowers still look like they are glowing. I'm interested in how to get these to photograph right too.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your peonies are so pretty. Mine sure didn't last long this year. Nice to be able to enjoy someone else's.

Susan

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

This is one of mine. An old homestead rescue.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.