Spring is in the air...Part 6

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What else does everyone have growing?

Thumbnail by Moby
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi there! Good to see ya... here is another view of that columbine... in the background is a portion of the new bed I am trying to build... can I show pics of it here? I dont want to hijack or anything....

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is a Lily that bloomed today... "Samur" I have these all way too close together... how can I fix that, wait til after the blooms are all done?

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pics, Starr! What is the name of your red Columbine?

Yes, wait til your lilies are done blooming before moving. It's better to move them in the fall, but if you really want to do it sooner, take a big chunk of soil with each bulb so as to disturb it as little as possible.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, thank you, I can wait till fall to move them if that is better. I just realized when they all started breaking ground that I had gotten them too close together. I do not know the name of that columbine. I am sorry... I am doing better this year at writing all this stuff down. I should know the names of everything in future and I am making a big effort at it now... (DUH to me!) ...

Here is Sweet William that I waited 3 years to see it bloom. I had it in a bad spot and moved it last fall. The cute lil gnome is compliments of Tazzy!!!

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

love your Samur lily! Such a nice delicate pink.

Susan

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Susan! I have enjoyed seeing all your pictures, but I never got the chance to tell you: thanks for sharing them with us....

Here is a new bed I started this last month. DH donated an old rusty 1950 John Deere M two bottom plow .... and I painted it then put the garden around it... ;)

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Love that type of garden "art"!

Susan

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I am so guilty of overcrowding... when I was planting stuff last fall, I did not realize that I was putting things way to close to each other... then I have added daylily and other things this spring... so I have made the problem worse.. guess I will just have to work on that this summer and fall.... Need to make some more beds, I guess!!! ;)

pansies, hosta, iris... and what is that up to the front?

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Daffodil foliage?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Even after gardening for many years, it is still easy for me to overcrowd too. When you plant those little plants, it's hard to believe that in a couple years they may be 2' X 2'. You are lucky that you still have room to make more beds. I will need to get rid of maybe half the daylilies I have now over the next few years to allow room for the ones I really love to grow. I enjoy the look of large clumps that have 20 or so blooms opened at once. Not many of mine are that size yet. I feel like you really can't judge a daylily until you have seen it bloom in a clump. I give mine at least 3 years before judging them. Some that don't look like much the first year or 2 can really take off and surprise you that third or fourth year,

Susan

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Moby, I think you are right about the one on the right but time will tell for the one on the left... lol... I really am paying a price for not labeling well last year... live and learn.... :))

Susan, It is hard for me to understand the concept of having to get of plants to make way for more.... wow... well, if you need foster homes ... or trades... keep me in mind... :) .... clumps, huh? I am not that far along yet... all my daylilies are new (except the old orange farm ones I had) and still in very small fans... I sure look forward to clumps of anything... :))

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is my new shade bed.... It gets some late afternoon light ... I got the hydrangea (that is in the background) from walmart and it was very happy until I dug it up to relocate it. Now it is trying to die on me. I thought it would love the new bed... any ideas on how to save it?

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Great pics Starr, I especially like the plow : )

Ok, I finally got some of my pics resized so here goes....

David Austin English Rose - Kathryn Morley

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Another DA rose

Gertrude Jekyll

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Reine des Violettes, Hybrid Perpetual rose

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Polish Spirit clematis grown through a Red Bud tree

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

clematis Red or "Rouge" Cardinal

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Purple Coneflower that I grew from seed last year

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Nigella that reseeded from last year

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Nora Barlow columbine

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Last one : )
Belle of Woking clematis

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sadie, You have lots of lovely things blooming right now. I think I saw a Reine des Violettes rose blooming when I was out walking yesterdy. Love that violet color! Here is Abraham Darby again.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is another David Austin rose, Sweet Juliet. It is a litte more peach than the photo shows, but the color does vary with the weather.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Moonshine yarrow is just starting to bloom. When I planted a small start of it in the center of a daylily bed last year, I thought it would have plenty of room, but I think it will have to be moved this fall or it will crowd the daylilies. Just checked my daylily seedlings this AM and there are scapes on 20 of them now. The next few weeks will be exciting!

Susan

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Susan, that's so pretty! See how neat yours looks, even the most outside petals....
here's a pic of mine from last night...see the ugly discolored outside petals, I'm lucky if 1/3 of my blooms even open on this one, but when they do, I love them!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I really like the form on the Sweet Juliet!

The one I was most looking forward to and have been the most disappointed by is The Pilgrim. In the pics I saw of it, it was much more yellow, these blooms opened yesterday and it is such a pale yellow, I almost thought it was white :(

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sadie, I had a few early blooms that looked like that. I thought maybe it was from a late cold spell we had. Not sure. Wish they made better cut flowers.

Susan

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, me too. Abe Darby seems to have the weakest neck of my 6 Austins and if I cut it B4 it is fully open, it will not open more. Gertrude Jekyll and Winchester Cathedral do really good in the vase and talk about smell, I wish I could just tape a GJ to my nose and I'd be in heaven ;-)

I like that yarrow, I have been meaning to add some, maybe if I ever get this new bed finished I can put some in there. It's good to know that it spreads a lot, I'll keep that in mind I always seem to plant things too close anyway.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

If you don't need the yarrow until fall Sadie, I will be glad to send you a few pieces. They are so easy to divide. I also have a reddish one, I think it is called Appleblossom?

Susan

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Abutilon 'Mobile Pink'

This message was edited May 25, 2005 7:04 AM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Abutilon 'Tangerine'

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh that'd be great Susan, I'd love some :-) Fall is fine, LOL, it looks like it may take that long to get this bed done. After I took off all of the sod, you should see the crabgrass and dandelions that have grown back. I'm going to break down and RoundUp it, but I'm trying to wait for a relatively calm day so I don't kill everything in sight!
Vicki

Abutilon 'Harvest Moon'

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Alonsea 'Red'

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Those are so pretty! I love the combination of the red with the purple behind it.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Oh! Harvest Moon is lovely!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sadie & Cindy--love your Nora Barlow Columbine. I've planted it 3 years ago & it's died. Cross your fingers for me this time...

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have Henryi, blooming at my back door. I just love this vine!

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Pe on ees!

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.