Show off your iris garden!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone. I've enjoyed using this site SO much! I was wondering if any of you fellow iris growers would enjoy showing off your garden~as well as showing how you've incorporated your irises into your garden. I'll go first!

Here's some irises planted around my trees:

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's the Tall Bearded Iris "Silverado" blooming with a backdrop of California Lilac:

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's Tall Bearded Irises "Supreme Sultan", "Skating Party", "Candy Cane Cutie" and "Boogie Woogie" blooming with my Red Hot Poker Plant:

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's the Tall Bearded Iris "Grateful Citizen" blooming with a huge clump of Spanish Lavender:

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's Tall Bearded Iris "Sostenique" (along with a renagade peach one) blooming with my Euphorbia:

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a picture of my Calla Lilies with a backdrop of iris leaves. "Twice Thrilling" (a pink, horned iris) was blooming there earlier, but it's done now. I thought the Callas were worth posting, though.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Pretty, pretty. So romantic. Isn't it fun to see everyone's spring garden pictures....I'm loving it!

Here's my pic--I think it's 'Conjuration' in (the sunny bit of) my front mixed garden with hardy geraniums, hosta and ferns...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh! I LOVE the woodland look of your garden. The iris looks like "Titan's Glory" or "Perilous Journey" to me. Conjuration is white and light blue with horns.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nice pics! I just have clumps of irises poked here and there (disregard my dirt pile!)

Thumbnail by Moby

and two of our Iris Siberica planted with h. geraniums 'biokovo' and 'Claridge Druce'.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And tucked way in the back

Thumbnail by Moby

OK then maybe this one is Conjuration?--

Thumbnail by tabasco
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes! That one looks like Conjuration!

Or is it in here somewhere?! lol I know I bought one!

This pic is from my 'purple' garden this week--we just planted the front mixed part-shade border this year and it needs fine tuning.... (posted it on another thread, so sorry if you've seen it already!)

Thumbnail by tabasco
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

WOW! What a great picture! Thanks for sharing!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Here's one of my iris gardens. It's in my backyard amongst the fruit trees and tomatoes. There are also green onions growing with the iris's.

Thumbnail by weegy12
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

tabasco, that's a beautiful picture.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Weegy~ That's a nice garden and a great pic!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks FF, a little too much shade but the garden does stop there so you aren't missing anything. I'm having a great time with my iris gardens.

thanks for your comments on the pic...I just learned how to do the collage this week and I think I'm overdoing it but it's fun...free download from 'Picasa 2' if you want to do it too. Nice way to catalog your different bloom pics on one page.

weegy--it looks like you do some serious Iris growing in your garden...you have a lot of iris plants there--do you let the onions bloom with the iris? I have Allium planted with my Iris, and it's kind of interesting at bloom time....I know it's a long summer in Chico and you must be way ahead of Ohio--have your iris finished already?

ff--thanks for IDing 'Conjuration' --for the last year I thought Conjuration was dark purple...oh well...

And I am studying your Iris companion plants...what is California lilac? Is that Summer Lilac/Buddleia? and I like the idea of Spanish Lavendar with the Iris, but mine is not even close to blooming...maybe next year...do you get any lilies to bloom with the Iris?

Thanks for posting. Love the pics everybody!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

California Lilac is actually an evergreen shrub. I'm not sure what the Latin name for it is. I do have Buddelia, but it doesn't bloom at the same time as the irises do. My lilies (asiatic and oriental) usually bloom a few weeks after the irises are all done. The plants that usually bloom with my irises (here in zone 7 anyway) are:

California Lilac
Peony
Kniphofia (sp?)~Poker Plant
Lavender
Painted Daisies
Columbine
Snow In Summer
Lithodora~Grace Ward
Agapanthus (Bear's Breech)
Clematis
Euphorbia~Spurge
Calla Lilies
Stokesia~Stokes Aster

I'm sure there are a few more, but those are most of them!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have 2 iris gardens, this one is at my home, I also have a commercial garden. Yep, my onions blooms right along with the iris's. Yes, most of my iris's are done but there's still alot blooming at the big garden...there's only 500 there!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is one shot. I have them in with daylilies, pixie lilies, clematis ect.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a good idea to take some landscape photos or comination photos of Iris. I love this. Great gardens and more iris now that mine are really gone. Only two left.

While we're talking about Conjuration, here it is with 'Hello, Darkness' and Nandina Domestica. I also grow it with clematis 'The President'. Yummy.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

These are Dutch Iris at the end of April.

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Great pics, Doss! Your garden looks really beautiful. I grow Dutch Iris as well, but I didn't get a picture of them this year! "Eye of the Tiger" put on a real show this year!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A photo of 'Eye of the Tiger' Iris like this? :-) You can just download mine if you'd like until you can take your own next spring.

This message was edited May 25, 2005 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Great picture! It's a really striking iris, isn't it? Mine multiplies really fast too! I just planted them last year, and this year they've at least tripled!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

And one of the best things about them is that they don't need to be staked. The iris next to the fountain all need to be staked at least four times. They may find themselves replaced one of these days.

Allentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is my 2004 bloom season. We've only been here two years and the iris must just love the soil here!

Thumbnail by mare200
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your iris sure put on a spectacular show. How fun to have soil that's fun to plant in. I'm glad that you're taking such good advantage of it. What cultivars are planted there?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

weegy12 - do you have picture you can post of your commercial garden? I would like to see them.

Judy

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Why yes I do!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by weegy12
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!!!! I would love to be able to visit a garden like yours when the Iris were in bloom and be able to say, I want that one and that one and that one. I'm one of those dull people who likes to see a plant/flower up close and personal before I make a decision.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the picture. ... do you have more?

Judy

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hi Judy,
You want more pictures? You bet I have more!
You are welcome to come and visit my garden anytime...it's a bit of a drive for you though!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I wish I had seen you pictures before the iris blooming season was over in our area, because I would have searched out a commercial garden in my area. I just didn't realize that there are probably some in our area. .

I would sincerely appreciate you posting more pictures.

Thank you for taking the time.

Judy

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Judy,
TN has a couple of great suppliers.
www.iriscity.com. There is one also at Mt Juliet, TN that has lots of TBearded.
Teresa

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

doss,
the 'eye of the tiger' is a dutch iris? i don't have any dutch iris and that one is a must have for me!

deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

'Eye of the Tiger' is a dutch iris indeed. You can get it in the fall from the big houses - I think Dutch Gardens but I'm not sure. It is one thing that has been successful from there. I'm generally reluctant to suggest these kind of vendors, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I usually don't recommend Ebay either, as you never know what you're going to get...but that's where I bought my "Eye Of the Tiger" bulbs, and they've grown quite nicely!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.