How do you grow a pineapple plant from pineapple top?????

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok ladies and gentlemen, since my sweet potatoe is doing so good i thought i would go ahead with the pineapple top and see how that grows. I just dont know how to do it...I know i cut the top off but do i put it in water or soil...i was thinking maybe just put it in water for now and see if it roots and then later put it in dirt...i just dont know what to do....so i am hoping i could get some help from you all...I am a sucker for houseplants and will try anything to grow one...hehe

Thanks,

Char :o)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hey Char,

Here's a link that explains how...

http://agrss.sherman.hawaii.edu/pineapple/pinegrow.htm

Have fun! Karen

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Fun! I haven't tried this yet, or the sweet potato, but I'm going to for sure! (We are getting ready to move, so plans are on hold.) Now we have two avocados growing here, and we sent a pit home with a friend who thought they were cool. Thanks for the link: the information on that page was really comprehensive and helpful!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Kachinagirl, thank you so much for the link. I had no idea you had to do it like that...i was just gonna chop the top off and put it in water...Guess there is more to it then that...hehehe

Char :o)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Char,

You are most welcome! I had been thinking about trying a Pineapple too, so had the info at hand. Let me know how yours does, I'm going to go put Pineapple on the grocery list right now!

Karen

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Char, two years ago I was successful growing a top from a bought pineapple. Now it is finally blooming and has a small pineapple on it. Since then I have tried to root another but haven't been as lucky. I think the key is having a top at exactly the right stage. When I cut the top off and took off the meat of the pineapple and bottom leaves there were little knobbies that quickly grew into roots when potted. I just haven't gotten one like that but am still looking. Good luck, Jenny

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

That link explains how we grow our pineapples. We have over 200 of them. We twist the top off, let it dry and stick it in cinders or rocks or cinder soil. When the plant produces pups along with the fruit, the pups will reproduce faster than the tops.

It's fun!!! I have seen them growing in trees, rock walls etc. They are TOUGH!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Kachinagirl
Thank you so much I wa also wondering for the same.
I wa thinking we can have plant from seeds.... but from crown also.... I will try this and after any success will come here again.
Thank you so much.
Kaleem

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm going to try it too! AlohaH thanks for the soil info, that will be a gib help in making it happy!

:~D

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I just did one a few days ago I'm not sure how to get the dead looking leaves off so I have left them alone. The top does appear to have new leaves forming inside of the center....I dont know if you can see it.

Thumbnail by houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I just looked at that site and I thought to do it different, If this one doesnt work I will try it that way!

Greenback, TN

I checked mine out thoroughly yesterday and I was tickled to find 2 roots just getting started. Yay! I had potted it and then forgot it on my light rack and -- voila -- roots!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.