What Beardeds are up now? #5 - can you believe it?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh no!
Iris lust this late , gotta have Zandra , carnival ride , bad cad ,citizen, lip service , and VAPOR Oh dear i got a case of wants . "must hide credit card " ((.but )) " she asks innocently, who carries them ???"

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh she asks, who carries them?
Superstition carries Zandria ($6), Vapor (9), Carnival Ride (10). Mid america carrys Lip Service (8), Carnival Ride (12), Zandria (7), vapor (12).
Bad Cad is available at Blue J for (2). Zandria for (2), Grateful Citizen for (2)

Tazzy, you had me looking everywhere for Citizen. I don't think that there's any such iris. Hard to believe! :-)

Good luck. Looks like you have a range of prices.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Tazzy~

If it helps narrow it down for you, I can tell you the ones that grow the best for me. I'll list the ones you liked; best growth down to weakest growth.

Bad Cad
Carnival Ride
Grateful Citizen
Zandria
Lip Service
Vapor

Lip Service and Vapor have GREAT flowers, which is why I grow them. However, like a lot of CA bred cultivars, they have slow growth in rainy or cold climates.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I also wanted to note that I HIGHLY recommend "Lovely Senorita" (Schreiner, 2002) for those of you that like the orange-ish colors of the iris spectrum.

I just planted my one rhizome last summer. This year, it has multiplied by 3 (large) rhizomes. Each rhizome sent up a stem. The buds were all double and triple socketed and each stem carried at 3-4 buds, for a whopping total of 6-12 flowers per stem IN IT'S FIRST YEAR! I have never had an iris be this outstanding in growth, not to mention that the flower is a real eye-catcher as well!

Okay, I'll get off my soap-box now! :]

Way to spend my rest time ,looking at iris catalogs .

Thumbnail by tazzy

Time to dream of more Iris ?
GOOD NIGHT !

Thumbnail by tazzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I hear you. I spend just about all of my extra time either on this website or with my nose in an iris catalog! :]

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I already ordered Zandria from Blue J... (yippeee) .... wish I could get the others... especially carnival ride.... that one is a must have! Every thread I read gets me in trouble... lead the way... let's see more... I am already in quick sand... (in over my head) .... lol...

well get in touch with them tell them you want TWO and i will give you money at MO RU
Please

Thumbnail by tazzy
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

No prob, Tazzy, I will tell them send two. But I don't know if they can ship in time for MO RU. When they send mine, then I will send you yours... sound good? Go see Blue J and let me know if there is something else you cannot live without... :))

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

"Lovely Senorita" sounds like my kind of Iris. Thanks for sharing all of them. Supreme Sultan is my last one blooming. From now on I will just have to get my Iris fix here every day.

Susan

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Tazzy, I love your cartoons. But you forgot to put a pencil in the cartoons. Doesn't seem that one is ever very far from your hand.

i just drool on the pic of the ones i want works almost ,
as good as pencil

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Tazzy, seems like the photos might run. But I'll bet you can see them in your dreams anyway.

Is is a good time to start a new thread, you dial-up types?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Does Superstition Irises have a Website, or do you have to send for a catalog? Websites with the click and pay feature have added sooooo much to my garden!!!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Superstition's website is here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103

Their catalog is $1.50 and you can get it through mail. Their address is in the watchdog. If you need more info on cultivars in the meantime I'd be happy to get out my catalog. You could spend forever on their site.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh great, doss, thanks a lot! I didn't know Superstition had a website, and now it looks like I may have to purchase a few more irises this year! I'm holding you personally responsible! LOL! :]

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Guilty as charged I'm afraid. I'm always so happy to spend other people's money. I spend plenty myself - but flowerfrenzy, you have some pretty fancy cultivars growing in your garden. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

No problem! Always glad to share! :] Looks like I'll be having a few more lovlies from Superstition soon!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm so happy! I thought my Iris blooms where over for the year, but while I was eating lunch on the deck, I spotted a new one opened in back! I have it labeled Carnival, but after looking it up to be sure I had the right label on it, I think it is Carnival Ride. I thought the buds were not going to open due to a late frost, but this one did. Not a real big flower, but so pretty. Here are 2 shots of the same bloom.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

that is gorgeous Lioness

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I just love gardening friends. I visted one today. My TB are finished blooming but he had a beautiful dark, dark purple blooming.
The falls stood straight out, any guesses? He had extra of Immortality too.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

bluegrass~

Were the standards and falls different shades of purple, or the same? What color was the beard?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Everythink was almost black. I have Dusky Challenger and it was close to that color.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How about Dusky Challenger? :-) It can bloom very late. You can tell that one by it's fragrance. Today I've got some new Harvest of Memories coming up and some new sugar blues blooming.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking 'Wild Wings' because of the horizontally held falls, but the standards on that one are lighter than the falls, and the beard is bronzy red. Probably not. If you get a pic, post it and I'll take a stab at it. :]

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I never have my camera handy, when I need it. I could return with it. He had a wonderful rose garden that would make great shots too.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Believe it or not, I came home to find Red Zinger and an unknown historic blooming! Daylilies have started too--. No rest for the wicked.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Wanda, Speaking of "zinger" - with all of your irises, you are probably just the person to ask this question of: Do you know of any irises that bloom at the same time as the red-orange oriental poppies? I have some nice, various purples that I think I will move to that bed, but I was thinking of an apricot or an orangish that would just be the "zinger" for this composition. Any ideas?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't have any of the orange poppies--a little too aggressive for me in my beds. love to look at them, though. I'll ask Julierock--she has a big patch of orange popppies & lots of iris.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Is Julierock at DG, or is that the name of her band? ;>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.