What Beardeds are up now? #5 - can you believe it?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This thread is carried forward from #4 at

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/510196/

I hope that I did it at the right time. This is 'Dawn of Fall'.

Can't wait to see the rest of the Iris season.

Thumbnail by doss
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Very nice Doss
we have got so hot here every thing is losing its bloom.
Even early Day LillY's are dropping off in half day .
crazy OK. WEATHER. first a freeze and now upper 90°
with over 90% humidity.in May?
Feel like moving to well I guess to Eden only place would suit my picky ways

This message was edited May 22, 2005 3:05 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OH NO! Tazzy, you can move here. It's almost Eden. We did have a late rain that was a little hard on the Iris but that's unusual. Of course there are things that don't grow here at all very well. On the other hand, everything but Siberians and Ensata thinks it's heaven. We'd love to have you.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No new ones today, but here is another of Supreme Sultan and some white Columbine. Not as many of my new Iris bloomed as I hoped, but there are a few that are still going to. Is it normal for them not to always bloom the first year after being planted?

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

Or the second year ,
some times they really don't like there new home for a few years .
AK KKK

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful combination Susan. I bought one from Schreiner's this year and it only is 6" tall. They told me to feed it and if it's not better, they'll send me a new one. That's good. It wasn't cheap. But like Tazzy says, maybe it's not happy here. Although you'd think that with Sutton's being in California and a lot of other Iris being perfectly happy, it shouldn't be a problem.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Tazzy, you could move here....it's pretty mild year round..... and we could visit the iris fields together every year!

oh a dream come true .
oh shuck !
I hate rain well maybe
i could evolve to like it LOL

Tazzy, it took me a few years to get used to the rain. I grew up in southern Oregon where it is high desert....zone 6 I think. There was lots of sunshine....very different from here. But I did get used to it, and now I like it a lot. Much more time to grow things here.

Here is Easter Bonnet

Thumbnail by mgh

MGH lovely historic iris ,
did you go to iris show there ?
They are fun and educational

Thanks, Tazzy. I got that in a trade last year. I really really love that one!
I didn't make it up there today. Wish I could have, but I had the wee ones today while DH slept.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Opened today ~ Total Recall (Hager 1992)
Light lemon yellow standards, falls same with deeper hafts. Rebloomer. 34"

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You folks take beautiful photos. And you have beautiful material to work from. Thanks

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pics to all.... I am enjoying the show...

Tazzy, you can move here... 385 acres in the middle of nowhere... naked ladies abound at will... ;) .... all the room in the world to plant to your hearts content.... 20 miles to nearest town... no fast food places... but we get by.... come see us...

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a shot of Tall Bearded ones at the Western KY Botanical Gardens. Wish they were all in my yard.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That is the prettiest photo! Is the fence blue? It looks like it on my screen. Just sets the Iris off so nicely.

Susan

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

lincolnitess:
That photo up above of Supreme sultan and the white columbine in the background is really stunning! Does your white columbine selfseed? And if so, could you send me some seeds when they're ready? Pretty please?

How about a new thread about companion plants for irises, and how they fit into garden settings?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry, that was the Siberians. The fence is white. I will check for the right one.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here it is! They are just wonderful to see up close. My Mom and I had a great time that day.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Best Bet.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

unknown

Thumbnail by daylily970
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's a late blooming unknown ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't think those siberians were a mistake. They were spectacular. Thanks.
I didn't realize that Best Bet had a streaking gene. Is this normal for it, or unusual?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I almost hated to post the pic because of the streaks. LOL I can't remember it doing it before. I think it may be in a bit more shade than it likes but at the time I planted it, I did not have other choices. :)

badseed its just weather related ",be happy don't worry "

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It was great that you posted Best Bet. I learned something today - and I love to do that.

Thanks Tazzy for explaining. You never know when mother nature will take a left turn, do you?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It is so amazing how the weather can change the color of the bloom, especially the first one? I learned that last year with Daylilies and this year with Iris. I have one that is blooming and I can't decide if it is Edith Wolford or Boysenberry Buttercup. They were both planted in the same bed at the same time. I should have marked! Lesson learned.

Here is one that opened today, and I am in love!

Starship Enterprise

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Wow!!!!!!!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

"Oktoberfest" - This will be the last of my irises to bloom until fall.

This message was edited May 25, 2005 11:58 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Starship Enterprise is gorgeous! GOTTA Have it... where do I find it at?

SUE;
Defiantly Boysenberry Cup

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Melissa- believe it or not I got it at Wayside!

Tazzy here is my Iris in question:

Boysenberry Buttercup or Edith Wolford? The standards are a creamy tan and really not yellow. This is the 4th bloom on it.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

And of course, if I posted the PICTURE you might be able to tell me! (lol !)

Thumbnail by Sue_WA

ok edith
and would not swear its either something wrong ? thinking ? thinking .?
well any thinking today is a waste of time!
! am having attack of ((( DUHS)))

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL, no problem Tazzy! The more I research the more I think this is Edith Wolford, it is in shade most of the day, I'm wondering if the yellow would come out more if in the sun...............

Melissa, 'Starship Enterprise' is one that I just fell in love with on my adventures with John Benoot. We saw it just about everywhere we went. Snowpeak Iris and Daylilies has it for $7 (if it isn't sold out yet.)

Thumbnail by mgh
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that you should take another look at the beards on 'Boysenberry Buttercup'
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/6954/

Edith's is blue tipped orange and if I'm seeing right, yours is orange tipped white like Buttercup's.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/26157/

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Uh huh, I do see now Doss. I never understood what tipped meant when talking about beards, if it was the inside or the outside. I kept telling myself it was Boysenberry Buttercup, but I could not find a photo with the lavender falls like mine has. All of the photos I have found show the lavender to be a deep purple or violet. But the standards, to me, are definitely tan. I just went and took another good look at it. I think I will resolve this as Boysenberry Buttercup, even though the falls are lavender to me!

Sigh........I'm getting too obsessed? :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OOOOH! I love Starship Enterprise!!! I am gonna have to leave this forum as quick as I got here or I will have another plant collecting addiction. LOL

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Ha haaaaaaaaa! Michele, we got ya! Everyone chant.........'starship enterprise' 'starship enterprise' ...............

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.